1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Teacher Thread

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by NewYorkIslander, Feb 14, 2011.

1. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Senior member

I know there are a handful of us on here, figured one of these should be in this new sub-fora just incase any members here aspire to teach, or get involved in non-higher education. I know it may not be many, considering this is a fora that focuses on things that are way outside the budget of most school teachers, but I know I've received several pms about the job.

Anyway, I'm 10 years in teaching 8th grade History (US 1865-today) in a pretty nice school in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn.

As well as giving advise to would be teachers I think current teachers can post questions/comments/concerns they are having as well.

2. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

ITT: We drink heavily

1 person likes this.
  3. cross22

cross22 Senior member

Good idea for a thread NYR. It will be interesting to see some of the conversations here even though I am not a teacher.

4. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I like Teacher. One of my favorite posters.

5. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

6. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

I like Teacher. One of my favorite posters.

same here.

7. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

same here.
    ugh.

8. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

ugh.

[​IMG] how can anyone not like Teacher?

9. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

yeah ... what kind of sick person are you matt? [​IMG]

10. JustinW

JustinW Senior member

My first year on the job - provisional teaching license after doing the alternative certification programme in Texas. I do economics, US government and history at a public high school with an 'international' focus. I also run the first aid, Amnesty International and UN clubs as well as assist with sports.

So far, I really enjoy it! [​IMG]

11. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

yeah ... what kind of sick person are you matt? [​IMG]

Somebody's got a case of the Mondays!!! [​IMG]

My first year on the job - provisional teaching license after doing the alternative certification programme in Texas. I do economics, US government and history at a public high school with an 'international' focus. I also run the first aid, Amnesty International and UN clubs as well as assist with sports.

So far, I really enjoy it! [​IMG]

This does not surprise me, and I'm glad you're enjoying it.

12. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Teaching, as a profession, is wholly dependent upon 3 factors:

1) What age children you're teaching

2) What subject you're teaching

3) Where you're teaching

I've found that enjoyment of the profession can be determined, with a near 100% accuracy, by the answers to the above 3 questions in relation to how the people saw themselves doing the job or wanted to do the job.

13. NewYorkIslander

Today in my classroom:

Some action shots. Had the kids bring in food from their own cultural background this entire week seeing we're studying immigration now. Listened to Brad Paisley's American Saturday Night and talked about how diversity is such a great thing and that our differences should be celebrated, not knocked. I always gain a few pounds the week I do this...lol. While we eat we're analyzing some documents (a passport application...shhhh) from 1919, to see if we can figure out what it is.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    German Dessert:
    [​IMG]
    Colombian Dessert:
    [​IMG]
    Colombian Meat and Egg:
    [​IMG]
    Homemade Greek Yogurt:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Lebanese Spinach and Meat Pies:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Lasagna:
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. mm84321

mm84321 Senior member

I wish my professors wore three piece suits; I think I'd take them more seriously.

15. WhoKnewI

WhoKnewI Senior member

Your classroom reminds me so much of IS 201.

16. NewYorkIslander

I wish my professors wore three piece suits; I think I'd take them more seriously.

Its amazing how one dresses with kids influences how they treat/respect you.

Your classroom reminds me so much of IS 201.

Where's 201? Our building is ANCIENT. My room is around 125 years old, I think some of the furnishings are original too!

17. WhoKnewI

WhoKnewI Senior member

IS 201 is Dyker Heights Intermediate School. I went there and PS 185 (bay ridge)/PS 247 (bensonhurst) for grade school.

I don't remember any kids acting up in classes where the teacher wore a suit.

18. NewYorkIslander

IS 201 is Dyker Heights Intermediate School. I went there and PS 185 (bay ridge)/PS 247 (bensonhurst) for grade school.

I don't remember any kids acting up in classes where the teacher wore a suit.

Dyker, yea, Mrs Brennan is still the principal there. She's keen on having all of her male teachers in ties...everyone is scared of her! I guess I'd be ok in her book. She's one of the few who still keep her desks in rows...she's so old she doesn't care what the DOE is directing! LOL

I walk by 185 every morning on my way to work...great school.

19. WhoKnewI

WhoKnewI Senior member

Do you teach at 201, or is this just word that gets around.

Brennan terrified me.

There was this one rule where we had to walk on specific sides of the hall depending on which direction we had to go and which staircase we had to use. I remember one kid walking on the wrong side. brennan appears out of nowhere, grabs him, and flings him into the right line. blew my mind.

20. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Was a teachers assistant for a kindergarten age summer science course and fell in love with kids between 3 and 6.

Was a teachers assistant for a 9th grade government class and nearly murdered a few teens.