• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New job and need a new wardrobe and style

RogerH

Reaction score
I will be starting as a new assistant principal in a 4th - 8th grade public school in the southern US next month. My new principal has already mentioned wanting things to be professional several times. I'm thinking this means more along the lines of sports coat daily with a tie being optional maybe as opposed to a suit. I currently only have 2 suits. A charcoal one and a postal blue one. previously I tended to wear wool Land's End trousers with a OCBD or a polo and chinos. I'm pretty horrible at seeing a picture of something and then trying to match it on my own. So, assuming that we have 1 spirit day a week that would be jeans and a school shirt, how many coat/pants/shirt combos will I need to not look like I'm wearing the same thing all the time? And post up some links of things that work together and in a public school teachers budget. Thanks for any help.

TheIronDandy

Reaction score
I don't know what a public school teacher in the southern US makes, but the forum standard for affordable tailoring for folks in the US and Canada seem to be Spier&MacKay. Is that within budget?

Simon at Permanent Style has written a good guide to capsule wardrobes, that could serve as som inspiration: Capsule Wardrobes. Don't worry about the level of tailoring he recommends (it's not normal to spend a thousand dollars on a sweater or own several bespoke suits, those of us who do are just a little silly), but the ideas for which pieces to get are pretty sound.

Truthfully, you can do a lot with a rather limited wardrobe. 2 jackets (navy flannel and brown tweed would be my suggestion - both look smart but more "academic" than "corporate" and are easier to wear with odd trousers), 3 pairs of trousers (grey flannel, khaki/sand chinos - go for regular over slim fit, and some medium brown cords), and a few shirts will get you pretty far if you make sure your shirts are all somewhat distinct (don't wear 5 white OCBDs, get some subtle color and patterns in there so noone can think you're wearing the same shirt every day). You might want to adjust some material choices depending on the climate where you live - flannel and tweed work great in my part of the frozen north, but I understand the southern US could be a bit warmer.

In general, I find that most people are too concerned with their own stuff to care much about how others dress as long as it doesn't stand out. You don't need 5 different sports coats (it's fun though!) in most environments, two solid colored ones will get you far. If you're aiming for smart and professional in a public school, go for muted colors and maybe add some life with a tie if you feel like it on some days. Don't forget good shoes - I think suede penny loafers are perfect for an academic look.

Best of luck!

GaiusM

Reaction score
brown tweed
Solid advice, thanks.
I see brown tweed mentioned quite a bit. What is a good versatile brown? Chocolate? Heather? Tan? My next jacket will probably be brown but not sure what hue to go with. Going for the same general style as RogerH above.

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd suggest--particularly since you're in the South--checking out the Spring/Summer sportcoats currently on sale at Spier & Mackay along with their sc offerings in general.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you, yes Spier & Mackay would fit in the budget.
And your first return is free, to dial in sizing.
Make sure you get on the email list.
Their sales are insane...

TheIronDandy

Reaction score
Solid advice, thanks.
I see brown tweed mentioned quite a bit. What is a good versatile brown? Chocolate? Heather? Tan? My next jacket will probably be brown but not sure what hue to go with. Going for the same general style as RogerH above.

Dark, cold tones are usually best for a professional settings. Warmer browns, with red or yellow in them, tend to look more rustic. Lighter tones (like tan) are less versatile, and comes too close in hue to many chinos.

I took a look at the SM summer sale to illustrate, I think this hue would work pretty well in the office (it's a flannel though, not a tweed). For warmer climates, the navy flannel jacket could be replaced with hopsack like this one from SM.

Since I'm linking to them, I feel I should be transparent that I have never shopped from SM and can't attest to their quality or customer service myself (they're on the wrong side of the Atlantic), but I've heard enough good things about them here that I would still consider them a fairly safe bet.

Last edited:

RogerH

Reaction score
Thank you again. It seems they cater to a slightly slimmer person then I happen to be. Or they just happen to sell out of every 46L that they have. I do like those 2 you linked to. I will sign up for the email and keep watching.

Leiker

Reaction score
I think the advice to buy two jackets as a start is good. White and light blue button down shirts are probably all you need, and go with just about everything. After that and when you dial in your measurements, you can pick up very inexpensive jackets on ebay if you want a little more variety, and thrift stores often have jackets in top condition.

Mr Tickle

Reaction score
Do people really wear flannel or tweed in the southern US? (I am thinking this means somewhere like Florida or Texas).
I've spent a fair bit of time in both places at all times of the year, with the exception of the depth of winter (if such a season even exists there) and I would not have been wanting to wear tweed.

RogerH

Reaction score
Do people really wear flannel or tweed in the southern US? (I am thinking this means somewhere like Florida or Texas).
I've spent a fair bit of time in both places at all times of the year, with the exception of the depth of winter (if such a season even exists there) and I would not have been wanting to wear tweed.
I'm as close to Florida as I can get without being in Florida(I'm at the GA/FL border.) We do have about 6 weeks that the temps get chilly for the area, but tweed is not a common item around here.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads