• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's the appeal of the wings/horns x dayton service boots

blazingazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i got brown because i don't own any boots at all.

i prefer brown or colored shoes. black isn't that great for me.

Islander

Reaction score
Originally Posted by irbe
Funny the wings and horns nubucks look pretty sturdy from the pics. I know they will not hold up like the oil leathers hoping I can at least spray them down to protect them and beat them up a bit.

Nubuck is definitely sturdy, albeit a little thinner than the others perhaps. What I was trying to say is that it is a beautiful leather with a subtle hand that the W+H distressing process ***** up beyond all recognition. The distressed charcoal nubuck W+H boots are awesome, but I never realized how great the nubuck leather was to begin with. It's soft and suede-like and beautiful and I look forward to watching it age.

grizzlybear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ysb
Get both. Many on the forum have done the same. If I were to choose one, though, I'd get the nubuck, as there's many options for nice brown boots, but the nubuck seems pretty unique.

i cant afford one, but i cant pass the deal up. so nubuck it is.
ffffuuuu.gif

gearhead

Reaction score
Thanks for the update on the sale extension Thomasec, leaves me more time to think about the boots ( i already have so many but this is a damn good deal ! )

To those of you worrying about the durability of nubuck, just go with the one you think looks the best, unless you are a lumberjack or construction worker by trade, i doubt you will wear these boots to the ground
From my experience, leather boots/shoes wear out from the inside, its insole/midsole, very rarely do the uppers give up
Water damage is more about what you do to the leather before and after it gets wet, it has less to do about the leather itself
Yes, suede is more fragile than full/top grain leather, but as long you u spray it before you wear them, you should be fine
In the case of downpour, naturally air dry your shoes/boots with newspaper stuffed in the inside to absorb moisture

As far as sizing, I'm a US9 and the US8 i tried at Roden Gray fit me great, size down 1

onijo84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info Blazin.

The w+h did come in EE width - http://www.flickr.com/photos/ivanchow/5417115689/

I was told by them it will be around 8-10 wks for all orders. Has the waiting time been shortened to around 5 wks now? It is well worth the wait though. And for those torn between brown and nubuck, just take both as the deal is way too sweet to pass off. Then again, with such a response, Dayton might just drop another sale in the coming future.
smile.gif

Thanks Islander for your imput. I reconsidered and will be staying with the current size - 9.5EE and will just add an insole if it slightly loose.

clark kent

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bapelolol
did you get a 6e or 6ee? I'm the same size and unsure which width to get. No insole

I didn't specify so I'm guessing a EE. Either way my feet are tiny so I'm not too worried.

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
Originally Posted by clark kent
I didn't specify so I'm guessing a EE. Either way my feet are tiny so I'm not too worried.

my feet are tinier boohoohoo T_T

onijo84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didnt choose the width. It is based on your measurements that they suggest an appropriate width.

bapelolol

Reaction score
The guy didn't ask me for any measurements, just what size I wore in dress shoes. He suggested a width based on that.

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
j/w but how do you all plan on wearing these boots? what's the aesthetic leaning toward? the profile is a lot slimmer than your typical work boot. aside from the great quality and hype from w+h, do you all desire these boots because it will actually fit into your wardrobe?

onijo84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gettoasty
j/w but how do you all plan on wearing these boots? what's the aesthetic leaning toward? the profile is a lot slimmer than your typical work boot. aside from the great quality and hype from w+h, do you all desire these boots because it will actually fit into your wardrobe?

I want to try pulling these off with the denim tucked in slightly. If not i might just wear them with a slightly stacked denim. I need a good pair of boots that will withstand some beating and still look great. I was on the lookout to add a pair of well made brown boots at a wallet friendly price and these certainly fit within those parameters.

blazingazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i'm able to bend the toe like the W+H distressed edition now so I'll post some Appreciation pics for you gentleman.
i think i cracked some of the sole leather though :S

am i making anyone envious, cause i already have my pair
wink.gif

meso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gettoasty
aside from the great quality and hype from w+h, do you all desire these boots because it will actually fit into your wardrobe?
Yes. I was on the lookout for a black boot, but the gray has more character. I like the slimmer form. I'm not sure what the challenge is here fitting it into a wardrobe - it's a pretty simple, albeit nice, workboot.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DanieSmerth