• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"SF Approved" Items You Can't Get Behind

haiguise

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jack2000
the common problem is that they are both somewhat inflexible so it's not "moot"

Well, provided there aren't any similar details between the two sets of shoes, there are many other variables you may have to look into. My collection of Goodyear welted leather soled shoes have varying degrees of comfort. Some are extremely comfortable, others aren't.

On the other hand, it is undeniable that rubber soles have better shock absorbsion. My point is that leather soled Goodyear welted shoes can also be very comfortable.... and most leather soled shoes I see look sleeker than rubber soled shoes, so I disagree on that point.

haiguise

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tatecloths
blahblah something about blowjobs and seks

sup%25

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
Bull. There are only people don't know enough not to wear them.

If memory serves me (had a few to kick back today) you're Caucasian. Fully explains why you don't like black suits -- because you would look awful in them. What about the rest of the world?

BillyMaysHere!

Reaction score
Originally Posted by deadly7
If memory serves me (had a few to kick back today) you're a pale, pasty Caucasian. Fully explains why you don't like black suits -- because you would look awful in them. What about the rest of the world?
FTFY, not all Caucasians look bad in black.

Reaction score
Too many "hey, look at me" bright colors and patterns being worn at once. This is turning into an epidemic (red shoelaces)
Overuse of light brown (walnut) shoes
Bright "fun" colored socks
Large cuffs

Too many clothes. Yes, too many. I think a smaller wardrobe with all the items working together is far more impressive than having thousands of cuff links, odd jackets and crazy shirts. It creates an elegant cohesive look that says prosperity and maturity.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BillyMaysHere!
FTFY, not all Caucasians look bad in black.

Caucasians?

That is a bit vague to describe someone...

It goes for the gingerest to the darkest person...

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
Caucasians?

That is a bit vague to describe someone...

It goes for the gingerest to the darkest person...

I be a blond-haired blue-eyed WASPy sortta guy. Fortunately I like being that ... as not much will change it.

BillyMaysHere came close to an appropriate description. But ... I prefer to call it "creamy white" than "pale pasty." But, Billy ... it would be much easier to read your posts if you weren't perpetually jiggling up and down.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by deadly7
If memory serves me (had a few to kick back today) you're Caucasian. Fully explains why you don't like black suits -- because you would look awful in them. What about the rest of the world?
Another issue for me is that traditionally black (or preferably midnight blue) is reserved for formal and semi-formal wear.

That said ... if you like and want to wear a black suit ... more power to you. It's not as if I'm cutting you out of my will for doing so. In any event, what do my thoughts about it matter to you ... or to anyone else. If you listened to me and stopped wearing black suits tomorrow ... I'd think less of you. Then again ... if two years down the road you see the error of your way and stop ... that's a different matter.
devil.gif

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I can't get behind SF's use of the word "rock."

Example: Tomorrow I'm going to rock my new suit.

Using "rock" in this way just isn't stylish.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
I can't get behind SF's use of the word "rock."

Example: Tomorrow I'm going to rock my new suit.

Using "rock" in this way just isn't stylish.

Buddy you're a boy make a big noise
Playin' in the street gonna be a big man some day
You got mud on yo' face
You big disgrace
Kickin' your can all over the place

We will we will rock you
We will we will rock you

But there's a warnin' sign on the road ahead
There's a lot of people sayin' we'd be better off dead
Don't feel like Satan, but I am to them
So I try to forget it, any way I can.

Keep on rockin' in the free world,
Keep on rockin' in the free world
Keep on rockin' in the free world,
Keep on rockin' in the free world.

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The obsession with a repertoire of boring ties and muted outfits. I'm not saying I advocate wearing bright orange suits or something, but a little color or flare would not be the worst thing in the world.

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
^Do you look at WAYW?

I sneak a peek on occasion. I agree most of the WAYW posters aren't the "boring tie" advocates, but it seems like in the majority of threads people start the typical response includes the same set of boring ties.

Made in California

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tatecloths
Use of "cheers," "mate," etc. by U.S. citizens

I think "cheers" is an outstanding word that we don't have an equivalent to in the US. It's a toned-down version of "thanks," and works great in many situations when saying "thank you" is superfluous and unnecessary, but some sort of response is warranted. Feel free to suggest alternatives for people in North America.

Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
The use of the word swagger to mean a cool manner.

swag·ger (swgr)
v. swag·gered, swag·ger·ing, swag·gers
v.intr.
1. To walk or conduct oneself with an insolent or arrogant air; strut.
2. To brag; boast.

SF could use more swagger. That is, a touch of arrogance would keep people from looking so boring. That being said, I don't like the word either. I especially don't like Lil' Wayne using it, who is the main person I think of when I try to think of who popularizes it.

Originally Posted by alwaysbeclosing
Too many clothes. Yes, too many. I think a smaller wardrobe with all the items working together is far more impressive than having thousands of cuff links, odd jackets and crazy shirts. It creates an elegant cohesive look that says prosperity and maturity.

Interesting statement. I definitely agree, but I don't know that I *fully* agree. That is, it is definitely elegant and mature to not have tons and tons of clothes. It's a little horder-ish to have closets upon closets full of stuff. However, I think I would prefer that someone I see five days a week surprise me with new and interesting things as often as possible so I look forward to seeing them more. Like to me, "mature and elegant" is only one aspect of style and definitely isn't what I want to be all the time.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
egg