• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JamesInLondon

Reaction score
This one is for @am55 - this is a whole lot of watch for the price:

View attachment 2188469
mrWatchley-24-5-166_1659x1659.jpg

I love Andersen’s work; world time watches died pretty much when Louis Cottier did, but Andersen revived them and now everyone from Patek to Seiko, but Svend started the trend.

His recent jump hour watches are gorgeous and remarkably austere, a trait rarely found today.

acconrad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think my Sub experiment is a failure. I just find it too heavy and big on the wrist. I wore it for a week straight to get used to it and have since taken it off with no desire to put it back on.
oof. which sub reference?

acconrad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love Andersen’s work; world time watches died pretty much when Louis Cottier did, but Andersen revived them and now everyone from Patek to Seiko, but Svend started the trend.

His recent jump hour watches are gorgeous and remarkably austere, a trait rarely found today.
Whoa they have a Breguet numeral Calatrava 😅 https://mrwatchley.com/collections/...23r-150-years-of-harrods-limited-to-35-pieces

It's too bad there's a hideous Harrod's engraving on the back

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Attractive, but way north of $75,000 is a "whole lot of watch for the price?" Heavens, at that price they ought to throw in a new car with the watch. :D
Always, these things are scarcity driven. Not many early works by Andersen around. Same with the prices Roger Smith (or the late Daniels) get. It's way beyond what "the work" warrants, but there's only one Smith, one Daniels, one Andersen, with so many productive work years. It makes no sense if you aren't a collector and into that more philosophical and intangible side of things.

I'm not keen on that particular design though, I love Andersen's "old Patek" style that came later, more Patek than where Patek is today (and generally - I like artists better once they've developed their voice). But mostly, my keenness on the man comes from the fact that he's still around and you can commission your own and get it made for you. As Philippe Noiret used to say, true luxury is a personal relationship between artisan and customer. Much as I am sensitive to Foo's arguments, at the end of the day you have to go into a shop to buy a Patek, off a shelf.

There's a chap here who has the most fabulous Ferrari collection, including an F40 and F50 in pristine state (he runs the engines periodically, as well). They're under a carport but in full display of the street. The other day I spied a car that just stopped, in the middle of the street, with all four passengers staring, lost in the moment. I've not seen an F40 in the street for a decade. I've never seen an F50 in the street. I can understand them. Even though objectively speaking there are probably a hundred cars which drive better, today. Both these cars have immense intangible value and myth (although my own "when I sell the company" would be the Testa Rossa, which I can't really explain).

Ebitdaddy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Someone posted the new Voutilainen movement on IG. Looks great in gold. Something about the chapter ring looks a little disconnected though.

IMG_3114.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
questionsgems