• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ultimate noob thread - recommend me X in my wardrobe - post questions here please.

Synthese

Darth Millennial
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Recommendations for a black cuban heeled boot that is NOT beatwear? Patent is a plus.

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Synthese
Recommendations for a black cuban heeled boot that is NOT beatwear? Patent is a plus.
I don't know of a ton of patents, but I'd look at Dior and YSL

johnH123

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ghostbusters101
Recommend me some longwing wingtips that would look good with jeans and dress pants and are cheaper than Alden.

Florsheim by Duckie Brown comes to mind. Allen Edmonds is another option as well although they tend to be a bit sleeker and aren't always suited to being worn with denim, in my opinion. J Crew also has offerings that are ok if you're looking to save money.

Ebay is also an option if you don't mind going vintage. That's where I buy mine.

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for casual vests. Something that I can wear with jeans, a casual button down, and boots. I'd rather avoid: sweater vests, suit specific vests (hard to pull off casually imo), anything too (for lack of a better word) hipstery (As in 2 button, black, shawl collar, loose fit), or too expensive. I've seen a few good looking cotton twill ones, a some gorgeous tweed examples as well, but they're a bit too much given my current monetary constraints. Preferably ~50ish (below is even better) but up to around $125 if it's a hell or a deal or just that good.

Examples of what I'm talking about:

LL Bean Anybody have any experience with this one? It's actually pretty damn near what I'm thinking of.

A little less conservative example, and about the upper end of how bulky/puffy/visually interesting I'm willing to go

And another

Just incase anyone is looking to sell, I'm a 38r.

Venetar

Reaction score
Anyone know of some decent reasonably priced boots that look like these? The top ones are Ann Demeulemeester (And I guessing quite expensive?). And the lower one is All Saints, which I was planning on going for. But saw several posts in the boots thread they they are not worth the price ($250).

Melo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Venetar
Anyone know of some decent reasonably priced boots that look like these? The top ones are Ann Demeulemeester (And I guessing quite expensive?). And the lower one is All Saints, which I was planning on going for. But saw several posts in the boots thread they they are not worth the price ($250).

What you're looking for are combat boots. Bed Stu makes a decent looking pair although I can't comment on its quality: http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban...edProductSize=

Also, you can go military surplus.

KitAkira

Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Bed Stu is ****. Do not go within 500 feet.

Melo

Reaction score
Hmm, rereading your question I originally took 'decent' as <$200. But I'm sure there are better options slightly above that. Someone who knows more about combat boots comment.

KitAkira

Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
To Boot New York is probably the most decent >$300 boot, though comparatively it doesn't hold a candle to what you can buy on sale for $3-$400

Alkaw

Reaction score
Could anyone please recommend me a pair of sweet hi top sneakers in black patent leather? The whole shoe doesnt have to be in patent...

KitAkira

Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
YSL Rollins

StanleyVanBuren

Thumb Raider
Reaction score
MINIMALIST WARDROBE PART 1:

I'm trying to figure out my shoe situation and I need some advice. My goal is to assemble a very minimalist wardrobe getting as much versatility as possible out of as few pieces as possible.

I'm an attorney at a relatively casual firm in LA and I appear in court usually once or twice a week. However I'm not a suit-every-day MC type so I'm asking for advice here, not there.

Here is what I have:

2 Pairs of AE Burtons (black, chocolate brown). SF hates these and I plan on replacing/eliminating them
allen136601_73355_jb.jpg

Black Florsheim balmoral Wingtips (really cheap feeling, uncomfortable, need to be replaced)
413R67CY2TL._AA280_.jpg

Brown-ish Stetson longwings (keeping for sure)
IMG_4127-2.jpg

AE Wilberts
img0517xds.jpg

Keds Call of Duty Champions (probably keep)
keds-call-of-duty-champion-1.jpg

Bass Suede bucks (not exactly what's pictured but close)
buck_vanilla_dirty.jpg

Timberland boots (YEARS old. For the snow and/or working on cars. Probably could still replace with something better anyway)
Formal tux shoes (cheap crap)
New Balances (for running)
Flip-flops (for beach, I live next door)

Anyway, tell me what to keep and what to ditch. What should I add, if anything? How can I pare this down to just a few pairs of essentials?

My biggest priority right now is to find a good black captope balmoral to replace my other black dress shoes so I just have those and my brown longwings for dress shoes. I also think I could use something in the winter boot category but not too extreme since I live in LA and only go to the snow a few times a year. And sneakers? I dunno, ****.

tl;dr: I have too many shoes. Please help.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GMFrancis