• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Site Topics - Part II

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
International selling is far riskier than domestic selling. Nobody is an expert on duties and taxes, and a seized or taxed shipment would completely blow up most deals. The cost of potential returns is also far higher.

BubblyMasquerade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by California Dreamer
As a regular buyer on B&S, I'd like to suggest a change to the B&S rules.

To be fair to all members, I'd like to propose that it should be a condition of advertising something for sale here that sellers may not decline to sell to overseas members if the buyer is willing to pay the added S&I costs.

There are some fantastic sellers here, but I am starting to get concerned about the growing number of sellers who are refusing to deal outside the US. This is an international community, and all members ought to have equal opportunity to buy.

haha you're a dumbass.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
International selling is far riskier than domestic selling. Nobody is an expert on duties and taxes, and a seized or taxed shipment would completely blow up most deals. The cost of potential returns is also far higher.

Thank you for your attempt to respond in an intelligent fashion, unlike others.

As far as my experience goes in international purchases, all of the above are at the buyer's risk. A seller can protect himself by stipulating mandatory insurance and leave it up to the buyer to decide if it's worth it.

Why should it not be up to me to decide if I can afford/want the deal, rather than to be excluded from the outset. International selling is not a big deal; I've been expected to do it for Americans when I've sold something here, and I am no big-timer.

I have bought and sold here for years, spending thousands of dollars in that time, and I believe I've never had a seller who was unhappy doing business with me. I don't whinge, but I have had experiences lately where this is getting much more prevalent, leading to one outcome that I certainly consider unreasonable. I'm sure that this behavior is going to grow, and B&S is going to become largely a parochial market other than for a few sellers who have the decency to treat all members on an equal footing. I don't think that outcome will improve B&S as a marketplace, either for sellers or buyers. After all, the more buyers you are aiming to sell to, the better the price you can expect.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Why should it not be up to me to decide if I can afford/want the deal
If its up to you to decide whether to take the deal why shouldn't it be up to the seller to decide whether or not to sell to you?

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMO if you are going to sell in an international marketplace you ought to be prepared to sell to international customers. There are plenty of local options for Americans who only want to sell among themselves.

Your proposal effectively is that members from outside the USA should have less opportunity to buy from B&S then Americans. Why is that fair in your mind, but asking sellers to cater for all members is not fair?

All markets, including B&S have rules. I'm just proposing that we do away with treating non-US people as second class citizens. I don't expect Americans to get it, because you are never in this position. My observation is that some American members have no problem expecting us to do all this on their behalf, but won't return the compliment.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I ship worldwide!
spam[1].gif

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
All markets, including B&S have rules. I'm just proposing that we do away with treating non-US people as second class citizens.

My heart goes out to you, having to buy thousand-dollar suits outside of the US.

I'm glad to see the "everybody's a victim" conceit has spread worldwide.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Does this mean y'all won't ship to Texas?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Why is it unreasonable? Is the mere suggestion that people outside the USA deserve equal treatment automatically a matter for LOLs? I'm only asking for the chance to have my business considered on an equal footing. I'm not asking any seller to fork out one red cent. I would hope my rep as a buyer here would warrant more than this dismissive attitude, and I bet there are plenty of other non-USians who don't like US-only sellers.
It is unreasonable, and lol-worthy. Sorry. Also, despite your contention that you do not whinge (which we have all seen time and again to be untrue) are you not whinging right now? Sometimes, bro, no shirt, no shoes, no US address, no dice.

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That is high school/frat fitting in 101. Don't show weakness because sharks can smell the blood in the water, attack someone else instead (no moo).

Hmm.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The thread where dudes discuss seaweed and clay face masks... it's a prank, right?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bigbris,

I don't remember exactly why j banned you, nor why he reinstated you, but if you keep it up on the transmod forum, you will get a slap on the wrist.

And everyone else, please chill out as well - no one is coming off well.

When I lived in Cambridge, MA, I used to go to a little French Bistro place that has the most amazing Pork Cubans, matched only by their roasted vegetable Cubans, and I'm a commited carnivore. But I digress. One night, a fight broke out in the wine bar. Between two dudes who looked like accountants, and fought like overweight sorority girls arguing who needed Jenny Craig more. Yes, it was a fistfight. Between two yuppies. At a wine bar. It wasn't pretty. This reminds me of that.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andyh78