• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

kal249

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rebel222
Looks great. All EG???

Yes mate. Ecton 888 burnt pine. Gresham 888 Dark Oak and Newmarket 888 Burnt Pine all with double leather soles and extended welts (the Ecton with extra wide welts)

kal249

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wollenscke
I thought I'd post some of my shoes in my current line up of shoes. Please be kind, I'm a uni student so there is no way my budget can get me a pair of EG's or Lobb's. Either way enjoy. Anyone have a suggestion for a new shoe? I'm thinking of a penny loafer, something black or a boot? Any comments would be appreciated.

Cheers!

The Barker Black are cool. Time to save up and get some EG in the summer sale!

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by srivats
Right :) Not too hard, given my alden affection, right?

Now, guess the model ... its very easy
smile.gif

Well I am not a huge Alden fan,except for their longwings and NSTs. I think it is Hampton last,not sure what you mean by model,those are just plain cap toes.Nice shoes though,very nice.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by forex
Well I am not a huge Alden fan,except for their longwings and NSTs. I think it is Hampton last,not sure what you mean by model,those are just plain cap toes.Nice shoes though,very nice.

Agree with you here, although the 403/405 boot is one of the best looking casual boots on the market today, so I'd add those to the mix.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reevolving
Sri, I bet that scratch on the left shoe is driving you mad....

Originally Posted by srivats
No, not at all ...

That's quite a gash; have you thought about sending them to Alden to see if they can be repaired? It probably wouldn't bother me either, if it were not for the contrast between the color of the mark and the rest of the shoe.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wollenscke
I thought I'd post some of my shoes in my current line up of shoes. Please be kind, I'm a uni student so there is no way my budget can get me a pair of EG's or Lobb's. Either way enjoy. Anyone have a suggestion for a new shoe? I'm thinking of a penny loafer, something black or a boot? Any comments would be appreciated.

Cheers!

Wow, you've got some very nice shoes for a college student. I think my shoe wardrobe consisted of a couple of pairs of Vans, Converse one stars, and various and sundry boots like the LL Bean Engineer boots and other work boot looking things. I did have a pair of Johnston and Murphy wingtips for church, and maybe a pair of suede bucks from J Crew, but definitely nothing like you've got there. That's quite a start!

srivats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8
That's quite a gash; have you thought about sending them to Alden to see if they can be repaired? It probably wouldn't bother me either, if it were not for the contrast between the color of the mark and the rest of the shoe.

It is just a mark on the surface, not a deep scratch ... it is not as prominent in real life ...

Toorman

Reaction score
Noticed the disussion on Corthay and just wanted to chime in. I purchased these Arca's in July of 08 and have had zero issues with them construction wise. They were a touch snug on purchase (but not uncomfortable) and after a wear or two the fit was perfect. What I have found remarkable is the almost total lack of creasing. No other shoes I have owned (C&J, Grenson, Heschung - sorry no Lobb's, EG's or Vass to compare to) have come close in this category. My Corthay's are the only shoes I own that have lasted trees so I assume that has a lot to do with it - but I remain impressed and assume that quality construction and leather must play a role as well. (FWIW I clean and condition once a month with mostly Allen Edmonds conditioners and creams - same as all my other shoes.) This is the first time I have ever attempted to post pictures (to any site) so hopefully they appear and are decent.
IMG_0350.jpg
IMG_0352.jpg
IMG_0411.jpg
IMG_0457.jpg
IMG_0339.jpg

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
I absolutely love the 2 eyelet Corthay derby's. Do they do that in a chukka boot?

I agree - it's a very elegant shoe.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kal249
Yes mate. Ecton 888 burnt pine. Gresham 888 Dark Oak and Newmarket 888 Burnt Pine all with double leather soles and extended welts (the Ecton with extra wide welts)

besides it's a personal preference, would you mind explaining it to "us"?

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kal249

kal - fantastic choices. A medium brown Chelsea and chestnut color Jodphur have been on my mind for a while now. I think they look very nice with the double soles and slightly extended welt. I'll likely get mine in double sole tapering to a single, but in dainite.

kal249

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slewfoot
kal - fantastic choices. A medium brown Chelsea and chestnut color Jodphur have been on my mind for a while now. I think they look very nice with the double soles and slightly extended welt. I'll likely get mine in double sole tapering to a single, but in dainite.

Hi David

Thanks!
Well actually the Jodpur (Gresham) in dark oak are a double sole at the front but taper to a single in the middle. The Ecton and Newmarket are double all the way through. I had a little trouble breaking in the double soles and was told by EG that if I had the double/single combination the boots would have the look of the double soles but the felixibility of a single sole.

I've nearly always ordered EG's with double soles and extended welts because I think a boot/shoe should look substantial even if it's for formal wear. At the moment the trend seems to be with slighty chunky footwear anyway. I think with EG, because their shoes fit 'snug' and unlike italian shoes they don't have so much 'dead' space at the front the single soles on EG's make them look tiny and inconsequential. The double leather soles and welts really bring 'out' the features of the boots and shoes, even though I think the welts on the Ecton were a little too wide!

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coongameb52