• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Winter Parka/Jackets

ma1

Reaction score
Yeah they don't even make a jacket that looks like that as far as I know.

tellure

Reaction score
Old Moncler (FW08/09), but it looks like a decent mix between a wool coat and a shiny parka to my eye:

moncler-vanoise-jacket.jpg

I tried on one of the shiny Moncler jackets at Bloomingdale's the other day. Color was nice, kind of a dark chocolate brown, but the whole shiny down parka thing just seems way too trendy. Hard to imagine it still looking good in 5 yrs.

nineohtoo

Reaction score
Anyone have any recommendations that aren't down jackets(I don't like how they look), and will keep me dry? I can usually tolerate the Bay Area cold with a few layers, I just don't want to get wet. I was looking at Nau's Succinct Trench here: http://www.nau.com/mens/categories/jackets/ Some of their other jackets are pretty cool looking, but not all have a hood and I'm particular about it being black.

Any suggestions would be great. I don't really want to spend more than $300, anymore and I'd rather just go buy an outdoor brand jacket and not worry about how I look since I'll be warm and dry. Eco-friendly or locally made would be a plus(thought I don't expect it because I'm aware that most of the good seem taping went to China).

xM.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tellure
Old Moncler (FW08/09), but it looks like a decent mix between a wool coat and a shiny parka to my eye:

moncler-vanoise-jacket.jpg

I tried on one of the shiny Moncler jackets at Bloomingdale's the other day. Color was nice, kind of a dark chocolate brown, but the whole shiny down parka thing just seems way too trendy. Hard to imagine it still looking good in 5 yrs.

I really like this.

Other than the Wings & Horns one from this season, any other 'wool' puffer jackets about?

ma1

Reaction score
llbean just came out with one that actually looks really nice, penfield has them too

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
yeah both of those are nice

asdf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by snuff_daddy
the LL bean versions look pretty good for the price

capture102201065030pm.jpg

Really want to buy this, but im afraid it will fit like a blimp and am scared to size down.

Anyone with experience with LL Bean outerwear?

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
size down 1

nonissue

Reaction score
Measurements for the LLBean coat/jacket:

Kara: In the Jacket the garment measurements are:
Kara: Small --
Kara: Chest 47
Kara: Sleeve length 36.25 inches
Kara: Back Length 28.5 inches
Kara: We have a Cross Shoulder measurement of 19.25 inches.
Kara: Medium --
Kara: Chest 50
Kara: Sleeve Length 37 inches
Kara: Back Length 29 inches
Kara: Cross Shoulder 20 inches.
Kara: In the Coat
Kara: Small
Kara: Sleeve Length 36 inches
Kara: Back Length 31.5 inches
Kara: Cross Shoulder 18.75 inches
Kara: Medium
Kara: Sleeve 36.75 inches
Kara: Back Length 32 inches
Kara: Cross Shoulder 19.5

asdf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nonissue
Kara: Medium --
Kara: Chest 50
Kara: Sleeve Length 37 inches
Kara: Back Length 29 inches
Kara: Cross Shoulder 20 inches.

Sweet, thanks.
Does this indicate it might be a good fit for a 42-44? Chest/shoulders sound fine but im unfamiliar with measuring puffy things.

bob99

Reaction score
I also have the Canada Goose Calgary jacket (in size M) and it's a great, clean coat. Super warm too.

I'm not a big fan of other CG stuff, the non-Japan lines are way too bulky. Great for warmth, but IMO not very stylish.

My Calgary is black, but I saw the Graphite Grey at Uncle Otis last weekend and it looked really nice:
http://www.uncleotis.com/?proId=4289...183B614CA7D1BE

The price is the same as I paid last year, $600 CDN. Holt Renfrew also sells this coat, as does Over The Rainbow.

If you want something with a bit more ornamentation, the Manitoba jacket from CG Japan loses the fur hood, but adds 4 large pockets to the front. Personally I prefer the cleaner look of the Calgary.

http://www.uncleotis.com/?proId=4288...183B614CA7D1BE

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads