• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best tailor for a bespoke or MTM jacket in Rome?

SeamasterLux

Reaction score
Are you still using ripense? I saw an old thread where you posted about him. His prices have increased significantly from those days.

Roman, and Milanese tailoring is very similar in general, with Roman being a little bit softer & still having a squarer shoulder. But the silhouette is very similar, from what I’ve seen, as compared to Naples which is totally different.

And it makes sense, as caraceni was a very influential house in both Rome and Milan & started from the same man. At any rate, your ripense stuff looks great.
When I want Italian tailoring, he’s now the only one I’m buying from. Still love what he does. Otherwise I order a lot of WW Chan due to the price point.

SeamasterLux

Reaction score
Are you still using ripense? I saw an old thread where you posted about him. His prices have increased significantly from those days.

Roman, and Milanese tailoring is very similar in general, with Roman being a little bit softer & still having a squarer shoulder. But the silhouette is very similar, from what I’ve seen, as compared to Naples which is totally different.

And it makes sense, as caraceni was a very influential house in both Rome and Milan & started from the same man. At any rate, your ripense stuff looks great.
Here’s a more recent one.
IMG_3628.jpeg

And another one

Last edited:

mellowllama

Reaction score
A big thanks to everyone who's given me suggestions in this thread.

Ultimately I did decide to go with Ripense. I'm having him make me a casual jacket for traveling, in a 280 gram wool with elbow patches and a collar that can be turned up and worn in the Korean style, in the manner of a traveling jacket Andrea made for himself some time ago.

I've had two fittings and will have a third on Monday. We haven't yet decided on the shoulder style.

Here he's showing me the leather for the elbow patches against the fabric

WhatsApp Image 2024-02-29 at 17.27.09.jpeg

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here’s a more recent one.
View attachment 2141921

And another one
his suit appears to have a more square shoulder than his jacket. But, of course, I am only judging on photos.

He seems like a good tailor.
A big thanks to everyone who's given me suggestions in this thread.

Ultimately I did decide to go with Ripense. I'm having him make me a casual jacket for traveling, in a 280 gram wool with elbow patches and a collar that can be turned up and worn in the Korean style, in the manner of a traveling jacket Andrea made for himself some time ago.

I've had two fittings and will have a third on Monday. We haven't yet decided on the shoulder style.

Here he's showing me the leather for the elbow patches against the fabric

View attachment 2141929
Congratulations on your decision. I’m sure it’ll turn out great!

mellowllama

Reaction score
Probably it's going to be a great jacket. But isn't that leather a bit too shiny finish for elbow patches? Suede, which is generally used for that, has a more matte appearance.
I originally proposed either suede or corduroy but he said he prefers this type of leather, and that the color is an exact match for the fabric, so I yielded to his advice.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I originally proposed either suede or corduroy but he said he prefers this type of leather, and that the color is an exact match for the fabric, so I yielded to his advice.
The cloth is light weight and the leather this tailor chose is more compatible with the cloth as it’s soft and supple for an application that requires the most flex over the elbow which is in almost constant movement.

Putting the leather choice aside, I don’t get putting elbow patches on a light weight cloth of this weave. Seems out of place to my sensibilities.

please post a picture or two when you receive the jacket

mellowllama

Reaction score
my use case is that I travel non-stop for years at a time (seven and counting) with only carry-on luggage, so I have room for just one decent jacket. I'm concerned about wearing it out. (I'm not sure how well-founded this concern is.)

othertravel

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You might be able to call it a ‘Technical Blazer’, which is a marketing term for sport coats with unorthodox leather details. Seen a few brands do that.

mellowllama

Reaction score
korean collar with camicia shoulder. the underside of the collar has leather matched to the elbows. the collar is the same as Andrea used for one of his own jackets from some time ago, you can kind of see it here

Attachments

• jacket_front.png
    jacket_front.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 196
  • jacket_back.png
    jacket_back.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 203

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads