• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Winter Parka (Goose, Nobis, Mackage etc.)

Alexidb

Reaction score
Where in New England are you? I’ve got a CG Château that I removed the front patch from I’d let go for brass tacks. It’s a large but fits closer to a medium.

gaseousclay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can’t seem to find any reviews on the down bomber jackets I’ve looked at from Nobis, OSC or Triple fat goose. Triple fat goose is the least expensive of those three but the only one made in Canada is OSC. I’ll have to email them all separately to ask about fit. Online measurements are useless for these types of winter jackets imo. I wear a large in Patagonia but medium for The North Face

gaseousclay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I just ordered this bomber down jacket from another company called Canadian Wolf, based out of Montreal. Found them by accident while researching the other companies mentioned in this thread and they basically hit all the marks I was looking for. The price was about half of what the others were charging (about $425), made in Canada, ethically sourced fur, and rated for -35 degrees. This will replace my crusty old North Face Gotham parka which is useless when the temps dip into the negatives. Triple Fat Goose and Nobis charge close to twice as much for their bombers and they’re made in China. Boxing Day sale is going on now at their site. Mine was 25% off, hence the $400+ price tag (charged in Canadian dollars).

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I was able to order/try out a few so far, here are impressions:

CG: didn't love it, arms felt a bit short and baggy, down fill didn't feel very thick, may have just been the specific model but felt like a lot of material and not a ton of down. The zippers, etc. also felt cheap and didn't work great compared to the others below. The fur trim also felt a lot cheaper and less robust than the others.... Was honestly kind of disappointing... going to try another one of their models to see if it was a one off. Second place so far.

Nobis: def on another level than CG imo, super warm and heavy duty, materials felt great, the fur trim was full and soft, the zippers worked amazing, and the fit is spot on. Was surprised because I was expecting this to be a step below CG and not the other way around. It is made in China I believe with CG is Canada, but I guess that doesn't mean as much as it use to, with very high quality items coming out of China. This would be first choice so far.

Mackage: very fashion house style...has a very femininely edge imo, lots of zippers and buttons that stand out, kind of glitzy, hated the fit, very restrictive across the shoulders (but fit proper below, so going up a zie not really an option). I would say this is last place so far on the list.

Still waiting on Yves Solomon, Triple FAT, and Fjalleraven

gaseousclay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^^
Links above to Canadian Wolf and Toboggan Canada if any of you want to check them out. I still haven’t received my CW bomber yet so can’t provide opinions. I hope I got the fit right.

I just discovered Toboggan Canada today. Don’t know how they compare to other brands but they’re inexpensive. They don’t use real fur on their jackets or have the name recognition the others have but have been around since 1977.

Neognosis

Reaction score
Canada all over their website... but I can't find anything said where the jackets are made.....

Mothetgoo

Reaction score
For anyone wondering (and in response to my own post) I currently have in my possession all three of: the Veilance Monitor Down (Black, L), the Arcteryx Thorsen (Black, L) and the Norse Projects Rokkvi Down Gore Tex (Black, L). Because I got the NP and the Veilance on (rare) sale (yes, from a reputable, authorized dealer) they are all around the same price (~$800-900 USD). Also, for reference, I am 6' 6", 205 lbs.

I ordered all three to try on, with the intention of returning two. Probably to no-one's surprise, I am keeping the Veilance. But, if anyone else is in the market for a similar jacket and wants more info (as I was) see my notes below.

Veilance: the coat is obviously beautifully made. It is also the slimmest fitting of the three, noticeably slimmer fitting than the ArcTeryx and almost too small across the shoulders. The sleeves are just barely long enough for me but I have long arms - this is a problem I have with all jackets, so it is sort of a fixed variable. Mostly the reason that I am keeping it is that the detailing looks great, the fit looks the best on me, and the way the zipper is constructed makes it easier to get on and off. I don't necessarily love that the down doesn't go all the way to the bottom, but it does make the coat less bulky, and there isn't really any reason to have down down there.

Arcteryx Thorsen: this would have been my next choice. Had I had to pay full price for the Veilance, I do not think that it would have been worth it, but at the same price, the veilance narrowly edged out the arcteryx. Slightly roomier fit, but also really high quality jacket. These jackets are cut long, so the Large fits me well with room to spare, even though I am a bigger than average person.

Norse Projects: This is also a nice jacket, but decidedly more "fashion" and "urban" feeling than "outdoorsy." The material on the cuffs and the neck is more like a sweatshirt type cuff; ribbed. I didn't like it as much. It is still a very nice jacket, and I think would be a great match for someone with a more urban style or aesthetic (I don't mean to overstate this though; all three jackets basically are indistinguishable when on, as they are just black parkas).

I posted the above over on the Arcteryx/Veilance specific thread today. I just returned the ArcTeryx and the Norse Porjects, keeping the Veilance, this afternoon. As I was shopping though, it was surprising to me how little there is out there on Canada Goose alternatives. I credit CG with inuring people to the idea of paying ~$1000 for a down jacket, and there a lot of other companies out there making them, but they can be hard to find.

The one point I would add to my above review is that I would absolutely recommend the Thorsen to anyone. After trying it on, it was a great coat and I would have been very happy with it if I didn't also have the Veilance in hand, on sale.

gaseousclay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Came across a Toboggan Canada parka on eBay and it is indeed made in China. But their site claims they use responsibly sourced down. Just thought I’d mention it because some of the other brands like Nobis and Triple Fat Goose are made in China and have higher prices.

harryx2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a parka from Parajumpers (Kegen) and it's the warmest one I've had so far (they claim 700 fill power, not sure about the weight of the down used). It's also the lightest I have encountered so far. But it's too damn sporty and a bit showy off.

I'm quite keen on Triple Fat Goose because they are very transparent about the down they use and the design is minimal enough. Do let me know if you get to try them.

Mackage and Yves are too Balmain-like (trashy) and heavy.

Norwegian Rain not really keen on the designs.

Love Moorer but impossible to find out the fill power they use or quality of their down. I love this but it's also very expensive:

Last edited:

Mothetgoo

Reaction score
Has anyone tried Vallier? It’s an altitude sports house brand I think but their warm winter parka, the outremont (sp?) looks really nice to me. They’re made in China but they use 800 fill power responsibly sourced down. For the price (600 Canadian right now) that seems hard to beat).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads