• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Moncler vs Canada Goose

letsgofire

Reaction score
Both are high quality and widely overpriced. I own a few of each and I’m happy with each of these items

First, a parka jacket isn’t exactly an ideal technical ski jacket. So if your primary use will be for skiing, you have a narrow set of these brands’ assortment to pick from.

Moncler has interesting styles and vibrant colors. I have two jackets that get compliments all the time. I also have two shiny vests…that do not.

Canada Goose is similar but not as fashion forward. If you’ve been tracking them over recent years though, they absolutely want to be fashion forward. The star of their collection for me is their hybridge light items. Outstanding. Expensive.

I live in Chicago and bought one of those parkas from Canada Goose after a polar vortex. The coat is simply too warm. There aren’t enough very cold days to justify it. Anything above a t-shirt is too much with it on. I ended up selling the parka.

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@breakaway01 Sorry, I've given the wrong impression. I have a ski jacket for the slopes but I don't intend to ski in these jackets. The jacket I'm looking for is for warmth, casual hiling, and generally being in the cold.
Most skiers that have to fly into resorts wear the ski jacket on and off the slopes. Extra luggage is a consideration. If you are driving there this will not apply.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@breakaway01 Sorry, I've given the wrong impression. I have a ski jacket for the slopes but I don't intend to ski in these jackets. The jacket I'm looking for is for warmth, casual hiling, and generally being in the cold.

I think either would work. I own both brands and impressed with both with respect to quality and function.

In my opinion, it comes down to style and cost. The chateau parka from CG is, again in my opinion, their definitive coat. But once you have that, theirs not much else that’s really appealing.

Moncler will offer you various styles and looks, but their most basic parks will be about twice the cost of CG. Start adding fur and other materials and the cost could almost triple.

if you’re concerned about the obnoxious CG badging and crazy colors they do offer a “black label” line which literally has a black sleeve badge and neutral colors. It’s also a bit more trim so you don’t look like You’re a member of the Donner party.

Pandaros

Reaction score
@Kingstonian We leave the ski gear at the in-laws in Italy. But instead of going to and staying at a resort now, we now stay at a friend's holiday home nearby which leads to time spent outdoors. Which is why I'm looking for a warmer coat. We had the opportunity to go hiking below the snow, but I didn't really feel up to it in a ski jacket and managing layers more closely. And then staying out late in the village too - it's just easier with a proper coat that can be functional for light outdoor activity, and then for urban living.

@Phileas Fogg Do you mean Moncler black label?

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Kingstonian We leave the ski gear at the in-laws in Italy. But instead of going to and staying at a resort now, we now stay at a friend's holiday home nearby which leads to time spent outdoors. Which is why I'm looking for a warmer coat. We had the opportunity to go hiking below the snow, but I didn't really feel up to it in a ski jacket and managing layers more closely.

@Phileas Fogg Do you mean Moncler black label?

no…Canada Goose.

I’m not aware of a Moncler Black Label line. They do have several lines, however, that differ both stylistically as well as functionally. Their Grenoble line is intended as proper ski apparel and so very technical.

Pandaros

Reaction score
Thanks all for comments and for suggestions of other brands. @dieworkwear The everest coat was a great suggestion, but I'm just sold on the cords. Any others are welcome.

I've had a fairly hefty EOY bonus, which is why I'm looking into this. Expecting to move to the north of Italy within the year or so now that my company is allowing full-time remote, so that's another reason for a strong coat because this last month I've felt damned cold.

I'm glad to see both Moncler and CG have solid reviews here. I've tried on a CG and was impressed; haven't had the opportunity with a Moncler. But it would be good if they told you online the density of the padding for Moncler - at least CG do.

Specifically, I'm looking at something like: this Moncler, this Moncler, this Moncler, or this Moncler. On the CG front, having tried on most, the Sanford is the most appealing.

Is there any difference in warmth between the brands per se? Or quality of materials to justify the enhanced price of Moncler over other competitors? And expected lifetime of a coat - CG give their lifetime warranty and Moncler do not, but do Moncler even need to market that?

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Moncler is definitely a fashion brand though their outerwear is a common sight at high end ski resorts. They don’t advertise the fill power of their down; in fact their fill in your linked coats is 10% feathers, indicative of a lower grade. The CG coats are 100% down though 625 fill power, which is not a particularly high grade. Another coat you could look at is the Veilance Monitor Down coat. Outstanding materials and construction quality all around. I have had very good experiences with Arc’teryx (Veilance’s parent) warranty service over the years.

Pandaros

Reaction score
I think Moncler is definitely a fashion brand though their outerwear is a common sight at high end ski resorts. They don’t advertise the fill power of their down; in fact their fill in your linked coats is 10% feathers, indicative of a lower grade. The CG coats are 100% down though 625 fill power, which is not a particularly high grade. Another coat you could look at is the Veilance Monitor Down coat. Outstanding materials and construction quality all around. I have had very good experiences with Arc’teryx (Veilance’s parent) warranty service over the years.

It's very hard to get 100% down. All the CGs I've looked at are 90/10.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's very hard to get 100% down. All the CGs I've looked at are 90/10.
Oh really? The CG Sanford product page that you linked doesn’t mention that (or at least I could not find it).

IME, unless I’ve not been reading product descriptions closely enough, technical down garments are typically 100% down. The Veilance coat I mentioned is >800 fill power down.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fill power is not the only, nor ideal, determinant if warmth. It’s sort of like the s### when it comes to suit fabrics.

Both Moncler and CG are upfront about the fill type as well as ratio.

Pandaros

Reaction score
Oh really? The CG Sanford product page that you linked doesn’t mention that (or at least I could not find it).

IME, unless I’ve not been reading product descriptions closely enough, technical down garments are typically 100% down. The Veilance coat I mentioned is >800 fill power down.

Yes, I remember that distinctly when looking at the labels. Patagonia, online say 100% down, but from memory of looking a while back I'm sure they were 90/10 too on the label.

My partner has a Benneton coat that has 100 down by label.

Pandaros

Reaction score
But also - is there anything to separate Moncler and Canada Goose from Patagonia, North Face, and other similar brands? Having tried on CG vs Patagonia, I found the exterior of the CG to be a better quality material - it was more rigid, thicker, and seemed built to last longer. That may be due to the CG exterior being 15% cotton. But the construction and sowing of the coat seemed superior, and there was far more padding.

I finished up reasoning that Patagonia don't give a lifetime guarantee on their coats for a reason - and decided paying close to double for a CG was worth it.

nygooner

Reaction score
Not that you asked but the veilance monitor down and NR Moscow are also good options in roughly this price range/use case/aesthetic.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FWIW, Moncler’s statement on their down fill:

ZRH1

Reaction score

thanks for the heads up.

Monitor-Down-Coat-Deep-Navy-Side-View.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads