• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Winter Parka (Goose, Nobis, Mackage etc.)

harryx2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone tried Vallier? It’s an altitude sports house brand I think but their warm winter parka, the outremont (sp?) looks really nice to me. They’re made in China but they use 800 fill power responsibly sourced down. For the price (600 Canadian right now) that seems hard to beat).

It does look nice and 800 fill power is good. A bit on the heavy side though: Jacket size Medium weights 2,24 KG / 4,9 LBS.

mykii2704

Reaction score
I'm surprised at some users comments here about Canada goose. I can safely say mine (a GQ limited release at Bloomingdales 2yrs back) is the best clothing item I own, fullstop. It still looks new after 2yrs, and I've never even zipped it up - only buttoned (so a pretty good endorsement for quality and warmth).

I will say some of the design ethos and practicality (in design terms) of the newer jacket models make me frustrated, because I literally want to buy a second jacket and can't pinpoint one I would like to own from an ergonomics standpoint, everything else is top notch.

gaseousclay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised at some users comments here about Canada goose. I can safely say mine (a GQ limited release at Bloomingdales 2yrs back) is the best clothing item I own, fullstop. It still looks new after 2yrs, and I've never even zipped it up - only buttoned (so a pretty good endorsement for quality and warmth).

I will say some of the design ethos and practicality (in design terms) of the newer jacket models make me frustrated, because I literally want to buy a second jacket and can't pinpoint one I would like to own from an ergonomics standpoint, everything else is top notch.

I briefly owned a chilliwack bomber and the lodge down vest. I returned the bomber and sold the lodge vest last year. I don't deny that CG is top tier in terms of warmth and such but I just couldn't get past the stigma of owning a CG jacket/vest. I actually felt self conscious wearing their stuff. The only people I see wearing CG are suburban soccer moms and hipsters who only seem to wear them as a status symbol. Seeing tons of celebrities wearing CG doesn't help either. These are just my opinions of course. I don't begrudge anyone for wanting to buy CG if it suits their environment and is within their budget. It's just not for me.

LaymanX

Reaction score
  • Nobis is crap quality control and warranty service. Issues with premature pilling and down leakage all around. Made in China.
  • Newer CG are overpriced and mediocre quality as well. Made in Canada for most parts, but non-core items are made in China.
  • Moose Knuckles are well made and fairly priced but my god that hideous logo. Made in Canada.
  • OSC is overly warm for most people's needs, not that well made *but* you can easily find them for 40-50% off. Just make sure to try it on in person as they fit weird. Made in Canada
  • Mackage is okay if you get it during a 40% sale. Designs are off-putting to me, but that's subjective of course. Not sure where they're made.
  • Parajumpers, lol

Still want to get my hands on a Quartz parka to see what it's like. I personally rock a Snow Peak down parka (https://huckberry.com/store/snow-peak/category/p/47220-waxed-down-jacket) for normal wear, and an old school CG parka (https://www.nagpeople.com/en/canada-goose-heli-arctic-parka.html) for colder climates. If I was in the market for a new parka, I'd take a close look at Quartz, Norse Projects Thor parka or this thing:

cb200

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Handled some Quartz pieces, well made, nothing fancy. Face fabric was lighter than CG parka weight interior was fairly soft. Fill amount seemed fair nice weight but not heavy. Ones I saw had fur hood trim that was real and removable. Overall impression was quite that they were straightforward in design and construction and without being "minimal/modern" or slapped with big goofy logo, didn't try it on so no idea about fit.

modagg

Reaction score
  • Nobis is crap quality control and warranty service. Issues with premature pilling and down leakage all around. Made in China.
  • Newer CG are overpriced and mediocre quality as well. Made in Canada for most parts, but non-core items are made in China.
  • Moose Knuckles are well made and fairly priced but my god that hideous logo. Made in Canada.
  • OSC is overly warm for most people's needs, not that well made *but* you can easily find them for 40-50% off. Just make sure to try it on in person as they fit weird. Made in Canada
  • Mackage is okay if you get it during a 40% sale. Designs are off-putting to me, but that's subjective of course. Not sure where they're made.
  • Parajumpers, lol

Still want to get my hands on a Quartz parka to see what it's like. I personally rock a Snow Peak down parka (https://huckberry.com/store/snow-peak/category/p/47220-waxed-down-jacket) for normal wear, and an old school CG parka (https://www.nagpeople.com/en/canada-goose-heli-arctic-parka.html) for colder climates. If I was in the market for a new parka, I'd take a close look at Quartz, Norse Projects Thor parka or this thing:

Didn't Moose Knuckles get sued over the made in Canada claim? I tried one at Saks and it was hard to move in it, too stiff and the name/logo is ridiculous

gs77

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone has experience with Patagonia 3-in-1 type parkas? Looks practical...

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

There's an awful lot of bullshit on that site.

If you're looking for light-weight performance in a down jacket take a look at the high-end mountain hunting lines like kuiu.com and the super down pro. Japanese technology proven in the field.
1578321294699.png

lefty

moondog-sparky

Reaction score
if it's a goose down jacket you're after, i highly recommend Feathered Friends - i have a vest and jacket from them and they are best in class. they are mountaineering / expedition focused, of course, so may not work as an "around town" kind of jacket.

their lighter weight jackets should work well for most folks short of scaling Denali or Everest...

WK2Diesel

Reaction score
Handled some Quartz pieces, well made, nothing fancy. Face fabric was lighter than CG parka weight interior was fairly soft. Fill amount seemed fair nice weight but not heavy. Ones I saw had fur hood trim that was real and removable. Overall impression was quite that they were straightforward in design and construction and without being "minimal/modern" or slapped with big goofy logo, didn't try it on so no idea about fit.
I would agree with this statement. My Quartz jacket is very simple black jacket with a very small Quartz logo on the shoulder of one sleeve, mine has removable raccoon fur around the hood. My jacket is a 650 fill down and I have experienced very little to no down leakage in the 3 years I've owned it. As for fit, it is very similar to my Canada Goose Chateau parka, if anything it may have a slight bit more room.

harryx2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if it's a goose down jacket you're after, i highly recommend Feathered Friends - i have a vest and jacket from them and they are best in class. they are mountaineering / expedition focused, of course, so may not work as an "around town" kind of jacket.

their lighter weight jackets should work well for most folks short of scaling Denali or Everest...

LOL, not what I had in mind! :D feathered-friends-expedition-down-suit-pacific_1800x1800.jpg

LaymanX

Reaction score
There's an awful lot of bullshit on that site.

If you're looking for light-weight performance in a down jacket take a look at the high-end mountain hunting lines like kuiu.com and the super down pro. Japanese technology proven in the field.

lefty

Oh yah, there's a lot of marketing fluff there for sure. Still, it's an interesting piece that I'd consider, just so I can saunter around the CG crowd and make remarks like "Oh what's your jacket filled with? Down? That doesn't sound very environmentally friendly. Recycled plastic bottles here."

harryx2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh yah, there's a lot of marketing fluff there for sure. Still, it's an interesting piece that I'd consider, just so I can saunter around the CG crowd and make remarks like "Oh what's your jacket filled with? Down? That doesn't sound very environmentally friendly. Recycled plastic bottles here."

You can get an Esemplare jacket or a Save the Duck then.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

It is a branding exercise masquerading as a clothing business. I'm all for high-tech fabrics (hence the interest in the Toray fabrics that Kuiu offers) but that pitch seems a little silly. If they work as promised text them with actual outdoors people not a stupid video dragging a hoodie behind a car.

Orvis just released a performance pro line and they tested for 18 months with a variety of accomplished anglers, then they took the feedback and tweaked.

Anyway, OP has lots of options.

lefty

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads