• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Moncler vs Canada Goose

Pandaros

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a feeling this could suit SWD better, but I asked a related question there on Canada Goose a couple of months ago and didn't get a response. I've never failed with this forum - but, then, this may be a bit left of field!

What are people's opinion on men's coats from Moncler vs Canada Goose - specifically in relation to parkas, but any general thoughts much appreciated. I go skiing in the alps each year (very badly) and spend a lot of each winter in Como and Lugano - so functionality, smartness, and warmth are important things to me.

I'm looking at getting a smart parka, but not sure from which one. Moncler has some, perhaps, overly flashy cuts but the quality is apparent. Canada Goose doesn't have that flair, but it does have a lifetime guarantee and the coats may be even more punctual.

Last edited:

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't own either, but if I did it would be Canada Goose hands down. Their styles are just so much more conservative and utilitarian than Moncler. I'm not a fan of Moncler's signature super puffy + super glossy. To me a classic difference between style and fashion.

Canada Goose:
images

Moncler:
costanza-fashion-brief-history.jpg

Jamesbond1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Canada Goose are no longer made in Canada. No clue if that makes any difference in quality and quality control. I have a branta their black label line jacket and it is Ok for up to -20 Celsius with layering

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't own Canada Goose or Moncler, but I have a Nigel Cabourn Everest parka that I'm happy with. The style goes well with the kind of clothes discussed on the CM and SWD side of the forum -- slim-straight jeans, work boots or even certain Edward Green boots, Aran sweaters, etc. I've been wearing mine a lot this winter

d1afdfd2b5bb8b3e1122c477daf1fd0c-1024x682.jpeg

haloitsme

Reaction score
There are several brands I would purchase before Canada Goose / Moncler for styling.
And even more brands for ski jackets. Just think about, when you have a small accident on the slope and sleep over ice, you would definitely tear those shiny Moncler jackets apart.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Rocky Mountain Featherbed was also once worn by Colorado skiers. I have the jacket below and like it, but don't find it as warm as my Everest parka.

A Japanese company took hold of the RMF name a couple of years ago and now manufactures it. You can either buy the modern version or the many vintage options floating on eBay.

Rocky-Mountain-5_2000x.jpeg

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are these jackets full canvas? Can they be had with surgeon’s cuffs? ?

More seriously, the following is not exactly a typical SF response but here goes anyway:

Since the OP intends to use his ski jacket for actually, you know, skiing, I should think the top three considerations should be function, function, and function. Style points - to me - for any sort of outdoor gear is gravy.

What starts as a pleasant day on the slopes, on the water, in the woods, etc. can sometimes take an unexpected and/or unfortunate turn. At the risk of sounding overly dramatic, your life may depend on the gear, including clothing, you have chosen. If Canada Goose is the best choice for functionality - and I have no idea if it is - then that should trump any consideration of whether it looks “smarter” than another option.

dukenukem4ever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Own both. Go for Moncler every time (Moncler Maya and Canada Goose Macmillan Parka)

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Moncler makes an excellent product but it’s damned expensive. Of course, they tend to be more stylish if you go in for that sort of thing. I mean, who doesn’t want to be wearing a blue Moncler puffer when being arrested on human trafficking charges or being captured on grainy CCTV surveillance after a gunfight at a suburban mall.

With Canada Goose, you get a solid product that performs well but lacks the stylistic sensibilities of Moncler.

vida

Reaction score
Moncler.
I don’t on Canada Goose, but I’m sure it will keep you warm. As for style I have tried many brands and I just think Monclair is the best. The three Momcler jackets I have are very conservative; not shiny or super puffy. They are just very well tailored and well constructed, and certainly very warm. Two of the pieces have synthetic outers and the other is made of a fine wool outer that doubles as a blazer in the winter. I just think overall, they are very chic and elegant.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Pandaros , are you thinking that you might actually ski in either of these? If so, I agree with @Count de Monet that you really want to think about function. These are fine for apres-ski strolls in the village but neither is really suitable for downhill skiing. I grew up in Vancouver, BC and have done my share of skiing/hiking/backpacking. You don't want a single thick bulky parka for skiing for a number of reasons - bulk decreases mobility, and it gives you no flexibility in terms of temperature and moisture management. It is much better to have multiple layers so that you can adapt to the conditions at hand. Baselayer (e.g. Patagonia Capilene in silkweight and midweight), a mid-layer (usually a fleece layer or possibly a synthetic down layer), and a softshell or hardshell outer layer that is windproof and water resistant if not waterproof/breathable. Real down has virtually no insulation value when wet, so generally would avoid for any activities where there is a real chance of getting wet (either through precipitation or heavy perspiration).

Some brands to consider for technical wear: Arc'teryx, Patagonia, Marmot, Mountain Hardwear, Rab, Mammut. However all of these brands have models that are more suitable for urban/casual use than for skiing.

ZRH1

Reaction score
I don't particularly love Canada Goose for their trendy logo and the fact, that like every high street brand nowadays, the quality is way lower than it should be, but indeed it is impressively warm and in the Chateau Parka edition, actually decently stylish for what I guess are SF interpretations of that statement.

AW84

Reaction score
@Pandaros , are you thinking that you might actually ski in either of these? If so, I agree with @Count de Monet that you really want to think about function. These are fine for apres-ski strolls in the village but neither is really suitable for downhill skiing. I grew up in Vancouver, BC and have done my share of skiing/hiking/backpacking. You don't want a single thick bulky parka for skiing for a number of reasons - bulk decreases mobility, and it gives you no flexibility in terms of temperature and moisture management. It is much better to have multiple layers so that you can adapt to the conditions at hand. Baselayer (e.g. Patagonia Capilene in silkweight and midweight), a mid-layer (usually a fleece layer or possibly a synthetic down layer), and a softshell or hardshell outer layer that is windproof and water resistant if not waterproof/breathable. Real down has virtually no insulation value when wet, so generally would avoid for any activities where there is a real chance of getting wet (either through precipitation or heavy perspiration).

Some brands to consider for technical wear: Arc'teryx, Patagonia, Marmot, Mountain Hardwear, Rab, Mammut. However all of these brands have models that are more suitable for urban/casual use than for skiing.
I have a Canada Goose parka and I completely agree with this. I use an Arc’teryx Alpha SV and a synthetic mid-layer when I go downhill skiing. A down coat would be far too warm.

I mostly use my parka in the city when it’s freezing cold. It’s a great jacket for walking my dog at night because I can pop it on and off without layering up. It’s also good for going out dinner and bars (assuming one isn’t going to get drunk and forget it in the coat check). CG coats are perhaps a bit overpriced, but the quality is good and I’ve used mine in some very cold temperatures. I had ALD x Woolrich down coat which was “meh” at best, so I’m reluctant to trust non-specialized brands for outerwear now.

I did a bit of research when I bought my Goose a few years ago. I couldn’t find anything else which was fairly good quality and readily available at a reasonable price point. I think the Everest parka DWW mentioned is at least twice as expensive.

Probably the biggest downside of CG is how common they are (where I live anyway). You can always get the blacked out shoulder patch if that’s an issue for you.

MrCat

Reaction score
I've owned two Moncler down coats, one designed to fall mid-thigh, one more at the waist. The former had these awesome shoulder straps inside. I've loved both but never used them for sport. I've worn them over suit jackets without a problem too. The density of the down fill is astounding (compared to Patagonia and even good Marmot jackets). A little flashy for sure, but well worth the money. And do get one with the fur around the hood. No owner experience with Canada Goose.

Pandaros

Reaction score
@breakaway01 Sorry, I've given the wrong impression. I have a ski jacket for the slopes but I don't intend to ski in these jackets. The jacket I'm looking for is for warmth, casual hiling, and generally being in the cold.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads