• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Movies Are You Watching Lately

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This is a movie you described as:

And then followed that with:

Which struck me as odd for a brilliant movie that should not be missed starring, as you state, some of the best talent out there.

You then walked back "brilliant" to "very good". Okay, I guess a very good movie can be rated 4.5/5. Problem solved.

I'm not trying to pick on you. It's just that juxtaposition of "Simply brilliant. It's a boxing flick and also a emotional life flick. Should not be missed" and "4.5/5" struck me as funny.

Now it seems that "watchability" is the icing.

For watchability I would subscribe to the Bo Hodges theory on moviemaking: defy authority, destroy property, and take people’s clothes off.

lefty

I didn't read my initial post before the one today. I didn't walk anything back.

-Yes...it was brilliant when I watched it this past week for the first time in appr 10 years.

-"Must not be missed" was directed at anyone who has not seen it....not meant to mean that each and every time it comes on, I need to watch it.

-All 3 actors are amazing...some of the best that ever did it.

-Still a 4.5/5 brilliant/very good flick.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm not trying to pick on you. It's just that juxtaposition of "Simply brilliant. It's a boxing flick and also a emotional life flick. Should not be missed" and "4.5/5" struck me as funny.

Not sure why this is funny. There are many films out there that people rate as a 4+ and I think are shite. Ok....let me walk that back....not worthy of a 4+.

What one person likes is on them and their taste.

As stated in my original post, Raging Bull is an emotional/boxing flick and regarded as in the top 5 or 10 of all time. I am NOT comparing it to MDB as you feel that if one is providing reviews on SF one should not do that. I haven't watched more than 5-10 min of that film. Why? I just haven't.

I may find that it is amazing or maybe a letdown from a 5/5 and rate it 4+/5. My feelings.

I knew MDB was "brilliant" when I found it in my queue this week. As a HS fan, I wanted to watch it again without any distractions. Brilliant/very good film. NOT a 5/5 film IMO. I may not feel to watch it again for another 10 years.

King Calder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1595083174508.png

The Vast of Night, best described I guess as an extended rift on "Twilight Zone" like story telling. Spooky without being scary, this movie has a really unique sense of aesthetics that makes it noteworthy. I don't think there's anything unique to see here in terms of plot - you can follow the beats of the story very easily - but the movie just oozes style and makes the ride a good time. The two main performances are surprisingly strong, and there are a number of extended monologues and sequences that I found to be quite compelling in delivery, especially one monologue delivered by a man over the phone, where the screen fades to black for a time to focus on his recollections, which isn't something you see in movies often.

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1426283

The Vast of Night, best described I guess as an extended rift on "Twilight Zone" like story telling. Spooky without being scary, this movie has a really unique sense of aesthetics that makes it noteworthy. I don't think there's anything unique to see here in terms of plot - you can follow the beats of the story very easily - but the movie just oozes style and makes the ride a good time. The two main performances are surprisingly strong, and there are a number of extended monologues and sequences that I found to be quite compelling in delivery, especially one monologue delivered by a man over the phone, where the screen fades to black for a time to focus on his recollections, which isn't something you see in movies often.

It was excellent.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
1595124511477.png

This movie is ******* weird. (That might be an understatement.) I think I would have liked this more if I saw it in my 20s, when I was edgy and pretentious. (Nowadays I'm just pretentious.) In the words of Peter Griffin, it insists upon itself.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Da 5 bloods.

It is very good spike lee. You decide what that means.

I will say he contemporizes this film better than any other of his films. There's a lot of desultory ex machina with the plot.

I won't spoil this because you can anticipate it with spike lee but the idea that 5m could go to restitution for our wrongs only happens in fiction is a very damming indictment.

I am a very religious man and the film reminded me of a prayer. What am I going to do ultimately? Anyway I don't know is the answer.

Highly recommend viewing

King Calder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
9117A54B-770B-461E-BA3B-AF2F62F79313.jpeg

Streaming on Amazon Prime. Not much to say about it other than it has forced me to revisit my “I will watch any heist movie” principle. Not worthwhile. Remarkable just how uncool Hayden Christensen is.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jumanji the Next Level. Nowhere near as good as the previous movie. The Rock and Kevin Hart did a good job of playing old Devito and Glover but their characters came off as really stupid.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
View attachment 1426720

This movie is ******* weird. (That might be an understatement.) I think I would have liked this more if I saw it in my 20s, when I was edgy and pretentious. (Nowadays I'm just pretentious.) In the words of Peter Griffin, it insists upon itself.
Which version? Voice overs or not? Human or replicant?

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the review still works, regardless of which of the 38 versions of the movie he watched.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Which version? Voice overs or not? Human or replicant?
Looks like Netflix sent me the original workprint version. (I didn't have a choice.) It had narration at the end, when Roy dies. It ends with them leaving the apartment.

(I thought the quality was kind of ****** and it was weird that there were no credits.)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Staff online

Forum statistics