• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What makes cyclists think they're special?

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I golf at a course built next to the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, and there is a busy bike path on the road around it, so I get to see cyclists interact with cars on a daily basis. I've noticed that cyclists are hypersensitive and throw tantrums when (a) they do not obey traffic laws and nearly get injured by cars driving legally or (b) a car operating legally comes within twenty feet of them.
For instance, today as I was turning into the parking lot, the BMW in front of me turned his wheel so that he would be angled in the direction of the turn but stopped on his side of the lane divider. The cyclist coming the opposite direction, to whom the driver yielded, threw his arms up and yelled at the driver of the BMW.
I parked and put on my golf shoes, and as I was walking to the course I noticed the cyclist had come back and stopped next to this Asian kid standing next to the BMW and was yelling about how he "needed to pay attention" and "stay off [his] ******* cell phone".
Now, this would be understandable had the driver done something that would have endangered the life of the cyclist, but that clearly isn't the case as the BMW came to a stop in his own lane. So, my question is, why is it that people that are frightened by other people operating vehicles legally are drawn to this sport and choose to participate in it at a location in which they have a high likelihood of encountering automobiles? Does anyone have any insight?

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
This reminds me of the large amount of attention Lance Armstron always receives.

Yes, but unlike all of the cyclists at the Rose Bowl, Lance Armstrong might actually be special.

Rome

Mr. Chocolates Godiva
Reaction score
Lance's unicle aside.

I would attribute it to a culture that fosters the id's sense of entitlement.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know. Around here, with the rolly hills and such, it is bicycling country, and though everyone is big on "share the road" it doesn't seem that the cyclists want to. Riding two and three abreast down a twisty road so you can't pass is really arrogant -- there's nothing to do but to do 20-25 mph and hope the road doesn't pitch up.

Regards,
Huntsman

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rome
I would attribute it to a culture that fosters the id's sense of entitlement.

That's pretty good. I once called it a "confluence of the American legacy of Lockean natural rights with a postmodern moral narcissicm that speaks constantly of rights without regard to right."

But neither really says why, say, joggers are not nearly as annoying.

~ Huntsman

Rome

Mr. Chocolates Godiva
Reaction score
Well said above and good point below.

That would require a vivisection of the cyclist. Although I would much rather place the blame on those "cops on bicycles" shows of the mid 90s.

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i certainly don't condone the attitude but if you've lived in the Pasadena area long enough, you'll know that the 3 mile course around the Rose Bowl is pretty standard fair for the local track clubs (esp on Sat/Sun morning). so there's certainly a sense of entitlement there.

and i have to say it's pretty impressive the times some of those guys pull around the loop.

that being said, i've also seen my share of really gnarly bike vs car accidents there.

heck i got hit by a car while i was out running that same loop back in June 2005.

-Jeff

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I understand your feelings h_s, but on the other hand, an awful lot of motorists pay no heed at all to cyclists who are legally and properly traveling on thoroughfares. I had a bonehead open his door one day (he was parked on the side of a quite busy street) right in front of me as I pedalled passed.

Needless to say, his door and my bike met — suddenly — and I flew over the (luckily) open window of his hardtop. He blamed me for damaging the inside of his door. F-er.

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think cyclists are absolutely within reason to be upset when someone is careless and endangers their safety when they're following the rules. I merely take issue with the fact that they get upset so easily when nothing improper happened, and they feel justified, I suppose, because they're in a much more vulnerable position. I would have even understood his response on the road as a sort of gut-level reaction, but to ride back and verbally assault the guy who did nothing wrong is way out of line and beyond understanding.

edit: Dakota, I hope you made it through that accident without injury.

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gamelan
so there's certainly a sense of entitlement there.

I've got to say that's a misplaced sense of entitlement.

I have other gripes about the cyclists that led to my post here. I've seen more instances than I can count where cyclists have been riding by and yelled when they've seen someone was on the tee about to hit. I guess they think they're funny, but I think they're assholes. Perhaps if I slice a drive onto the road and there's a group of cyclists, next time I'll be funny and not yell "fore".

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'm a runner, but tried to pick up cycling so I went to a training session, and found a cross between a beauty pageant and a cult! I join up with runners from time to time, and we lace them up and proceed. that's it.

These cyclists spent an hour getting their gear on, and then time checking out the wheels, and who's got the new bike, and then the parade of riders, and then - no one talks to you if you're wearing the wrong gloves or shoes. I have never felt so alone in a group of people with a common goal, and I never went back. Those cyclists are a weird bunch, and I'm glad to still be a runner, since we're normal.

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who finds cyclists to have a seemingly higher than average probability for being hypersensitive assholes or at least freaks to some degree. That's not to say some, the majority even, aren't lovely people.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
This reminds me of the large amount of attention Lance Armstrong always receives.

For some reason or other, not only do I not "get" Lance Armstrong but I find the man, professionally and personally, rather despicable.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads