• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What makes cyclists think they're special?

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
For some reason or other, not only do I not "get" Lance Armstrong but I find the man, professionally and personally, rather despicable.

Well, he's certainly an amazing physical specimen, but I don't pay enough attention to him to be able to comment on his behavior.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Didn't he take steroids?

And I suppose the fact that he had "beaten" cancer makes it all the more compelling for people to crowd around him. I'm perfectly sure there are out there, people who have gone through much more than him to "beat" cancer.

Rome

Mr. Chocolates Godiva
Reaction score
There were alligations of him partaking in steriods as well, even some that he knew about Landis using. And yes there are people who overcome more than Lance to beat cancer.

Patrick06790

Reaction score
Why do cyclists wear those stretchy little black panties and parade around with their butts up in the air? This is what I think of when I have to get around cyclists, who abound in the hills and dales of Litchfield County, Conn. and often proceed on the assumption that not only do they own the road, but that those of us in our little elderly Subarus are oil-guzzling tools of the evil Bush.

At least that's the feeling I get.

But it's the stretchy little black panties that are most annoying.

Aaron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Patrick06790
Why do cyclists wear those stretchy little black panties and parade around with their butts up in the air?
Umm, first off they're not panties, they're padded shorts meant to be worn on long rides to keep things comfortable. They're tight because in the wind material that isn't flops around a lot, getting annoying and causing chafing. I'm not exactly sure how you ride a bike with your butt in the air but they may do things a little differently where you're from. Being a roadbiker I will say we as a group can be an elitist, pig-headed bunch. I've seen bikers shrug off others just because they didn't have the right type of riding jersey on. However, it's a two way street (I know, bad metaphor). I've almost been run off the road and every few of rides have someone yell at me from a car (and I'm sorry I can't ride on the sidewalk. It's illegal and would ruin my wheels). I stick close the curb, signal, and ride in a pace line when riding with multiple people. I try to make eye contact with drivers when I go into an intersection and tell them which direction I'm headed if their windows are down. That being said, my bike weighs less than 20 lbs, a typical car is 40x. They can a lot more damage to me than I can to them. Moreover, everyone thinks they're amazing drivers but few actually are. I believe most are just dimly aware of everything that is going on in front of them. There are certain situations where I have to be assertive or I will be putting myself and others in danger. Sorry to hear about the incident hopkins but the guy is probably an asshole on and off the bike. A.

raley

Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
For some reason or other, not only do I not "get" Lance Armstrong but I find the man, professionally and personally, rather despicable.

How can you find him professionally despicable? He is the best cyclist, in the kind of racing that he does, probably ever. Sure he gets a lot of press because he came back from cancer and did it, and it can get annoying, but cancer or no cancer he is an incredible athlete.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Be glad that you do not live in Austin, where Armstrong and his cult resides. Be especially glad that you, unlike me, do not live on Highway 360 where cyclists from all over the state come to ride.

Bandwagonesque

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dear god... what a bunch of whiners we have here. First off, there will always be assholes on wheels - from the Hummer driving arse who runs the red light because he's late for a meeting/penis enlargement treatment/something else, to the smug Smart Car guy who cuts everybody off because he thinks his car is small enough to squeeze in, to the cyclist who thinks he's above the law and doesn't need to stop at signs, red lights, or yield to pedestrians. Just like Aaron said, those of us who are jerks behind a steering wheel are likely jerks behind the handlebars. So what's with all the hate against cyclists? I'm usually very defensive when cycling... watching my speed, slowing down for turns, ensuring that I have enough space on the side of the road, signalling, etc. I've still done my share of rolling stops, as have all of you perfect driving angels have I'm sure. When it's me on 25 lbs of metal vs a ton of metal at thrice my speed, I'm on the road looking out for me only. I don't give a **** if the driver behind me has to slow down, or switch lanes. If there's not enough space for him to pass, I'm not going to let him. If he tries to make a move and leaves me less than half a metre of free space on my left, he gets the finger or a loud F-U. I don't think cyclists have any more sense of entitlement to the road on average than your typical motorist. We're just more concerned about our safety, and that leads to some pretty cranky attitudes. It's still not an excuse for breaking the road rules though, so I see the OPs point on that.

Oh yah, and those stretchy black bike panties rock... they make farting in the general direction of you and your geezer Subaru much easier.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by raley
How can you find him professionally despicable? He is the best cyclist, in the kind of racing that he does, probably ever. Sure he gets a lot of press because he came back from cancer and did it, and it can get annoying, but cancer or no cancer he is an incredible athlete.

It's not so much his cycling, although I don't get the adulation for someone who rides a bike for a long distance, it's all the "Live Strong" crap and even his NYC Marathon appearance. Does everything he do need to be corporate sponsored? Can he simply do something without getting a paycheck from Nike? Yes he beat cancer (and promptly booted his wife and kids for a younger woman) but enough already. If he wants to run the marathon for whatever reason, run it without so much goddamn fanfair and stop shoving that stupid Nike tee and hat in my face. I couldn't tell you one other runner out of the thousands that ran today, but Lance Armstrong's face was on every channel I turned before the race.

cmrocks

Reaction score
I haven't really paid much attention to cyclists but a few times, while out on my motorcycle, I've tried to make conversation about riding (while stopped obviously) and they haven't been too receptive.

Full Canvas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Generally, I would agree with the remarks of Dakota rube, Aaron, and Bandwagonesque about there being jerks in all camps. I regularly ride more than twenty-five miles daily four to five days each week for exercise. My routes are both urban and suburban. Every foot of the journey is rife with danger of some sort without the armour of a car body.

I understand that my 5'9" and 165 lbs. on my carbon fiber Reparto Corse are simply no match for even the smallest and slowest motor vehicle in a collision. It is quite annoying when my rhythm and momentum are disturbed by other traffic. That loss of rhythm and momentum are simply the price of staying alive.

MrRogers

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I'm perfectly sure there are out there, people who have gone through much more than him to "beat" cancer.

Do you know any who went on to win the world's most difficult sporting event 6 times?

MrR

ATM

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrRogers
Do you know any who went on to win the world's most difficult sporting event 6 times?

MrR

Seven times. But he's still no Eddy Merckx.

I've been nearly hit by cars while cycling more times than I can remember and yelled at for no reason even more. There are jerks on bikes and jerks behind the wheel. In my experience, the more expensive the bike/car, the more likely the cyclist/driver is one of them.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrRogers

MrR

I'm pretty sure LK means that yes, he had cancer, recovered, and has done great things, but this does not make him so much more special than others who have had more modest post-recovery accomplishments.

I HOPE that what you are saying is not meant to contradict that. I hope.

Sincere Regards,
Huntsman

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads