• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are your 10 favorite cities in the world?

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
(Tokyo Slim @ Feb. 24 2005,21:40) Ernest, your assertion that ALL products in Japan are imported, thus expensive is not only incorrect, it would be economically unfeasible. The Japanese make some fine goat cheeses and wines BTW. Maybe not up to the standards of your superior french palette, but very good nonetheless. Imported v.s. domestic has very little to do with cost in many places and for many different things, in fact I remember noticing at a bar that beer imported from the US (and even some from Europe) was less expensive than some Japanese domestic. Of course, like everything else in asia, it depends on where you go for your food.
Talk me about japanese food. What do they can in the morning most of time?
Are you asking me what Japanese people eat for breakfast? Well a traditional Japanese breakfast consists of Miso soup, rice, and possibly some fish. But by no means is that your only option. you can eat excellent fresh baked french pastries, omlettes, eggs benedict, pancakes, dim-sum, cereal, fresh fruit, scrambled eggs, sausages, a proper english breakfast, hashbrowns, whatever... thinking you have to eat sushi and rice three meals a day is ludicrous. I would be in real trouble in France, since I don't really like eating foie gras, escargo and drinking wine for every meal. Globetrotter -
I would have a problem calling a city a great food city based entirly on imported cuisines
If thats the case, then SURELY there are no AMERICAN cities on your list of "great food cities" or are you suggesting that "american cuisine" (I.E. hamburgers, barbeque, hotdogs, pizza, Jello, etc) ranks among the worlds best?
Ernest, your assertion that ALL products in Japan are imported, thus expensive is not only incorrect, it would be economically unfeasible.
Not ALL but 90% of them. Most of fructs, vegetables, weat... HOW MUCH IS AN APPLE?
Are you asking me what Japanese people eat for breakfast? Well a traditional Japanese breakfast consists of Miso soup, rice, and possibly some fish
What Western guy wants ti eat this? None. I imagine you can eat western food too but why going to Tokyo to eat western food at a higher price than at home?
I would be in real trouble in France, since I don't really like eating foie gras, escargo and drinking wine for every meal
Who told you it was the typical French lunch or diner? Nobody eats escargo and most of people eat foie gras 3/4 fois per years. The choice in French food (cheese, bread, hams, deserts...) or meals (each area has her very different dishes) is 100 time larger than in Japanese food. And we have many strangers who imported their own food.
I think most Westerners that visit Japan will eat Japanese food, most people enjoy it quite a bit, in the US, japanese restaurants are absolutely everywhere. Americans, at least, seem to have very little problem eating Japanese food.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
(drizzt3117 @ Feb. 24 2005,21:58) As far as costs, I think generally Tokyo is one of the most expensive cities in the world, but TS is right in saying that you can find expensive meals anywhere you go, and you can also find relatively inexpensive meals wherever you go.
So how can you say it is an expensive city? Take the same average meal/same quality. What would be the price in Paris/NY/Tokyo.
It's really hard to compare, especially because a huge percentage of the cost of a meal is going to be wine, so the list is going to determine what the cost is. However, prices at Nobu are pretty similar in London, Tokyo, and New York (within 10-15%) for a non-wine experience.

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It could be that less people have been to Tokyo than to cities in Europe, it's difficult to call a city one of your favorite if you haven't been there.  
So how do you explain that people go more in PAris/London/NYC/ROMA than to Tokyo if this is one of the best 10 cities for all these things told by TS ?

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The question isn't whether it's one of the best cities in the world, the question was what are your favorite cities in the world. If most of the people who go there really like it, then it's going to be one of their favorite cities. The expense of going to Tokyo is higher than going to places in the US (for Americans) or even going to Europe (for Americans) so likely less people will have gone there than to the latter places. Some people may have Antartica has one of their 10 favorite places, but most people won't, because very few people have gone there.

Roy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(drizzt3117 @ Feb. 23 2005,18:18) It could be that less people have been to Tokyo than to cities in Europe, it's difficult to call a city one of your favorite if you haven't been there. Â
So how do you explain that people go more in PAris/London/NYC/ROMA than to Tokyo if this is one of the best 10 cities for all these things told by TS ?
You're out of your mind. I'm from Amsterdam. If I want to go to Paris it will just take me 3 hours on the Thalys. If I feel like going to Rome it is 1,5 hours by plane. When I feel like going to Geneva it's 1 hour by plane. If I want to go Tokio it's 14 hours by plane. Not to mention the cost. THAT is why most people go to the cities you mentioned.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Ernest, your assertion that ALL products in Japan are imported, thus expensive is not only incorrect, it would be economically unfeasible.

Not ALL but 90% of them. Most of fructs, vegetables, weat...
HOW MUCH IS AN APPLE?

First of all, fruits and vegetables are mostly grown locally, apples, pears, cherries, tangerines, and etc. are frequently grown in Japan. Where do you get your information? Whomever is telling you these lies should be stopped.

I was there last two years ago. I wasn't really concerned with the price of apples, so I don't really recall. I DO know that a bag of six oranges was 500 yen at the local grocery store. I'm sorry, I don't really like apples.

I hope that answers your question.

RIGHT NOW, as of 2005.02.24 21:14:23 GMT.
1.00 United States Dollars \t \t= \t \t105.344 JPY

So RIGHT NOW - six oranges would cost you $4.75 in USD

or 3.6 Euro

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote Ernest, your assertion that ALL products in Japan are imported, thus expensive is not only incorrect, it would be economically unfeasible. Not ALL but 90% of them. Most of fructs, vegetables, weat... HOW MUCH IS AN APPLE?
First of all, fruits and vegetables are mostly grown locally, apples, pears, cherries, tangerines, and etc. are frequently grown in Japan. Where do you get your information? Whomever is telling you these lies should be stopped. I was there last two years ago. I wasn't really concerned with the price of apples, so I don't really recall. I DO know that a bag of six oranges was 500 yen at the local grocery store. I'm sorry, I don't really like apples. I hope that answers your question. RIGHT NOW, as of 2005.02.24 21:14:23 GMT. 1.00  United States Dollars \t  \t= \t  \t105.344 JPY So RIGHT NOW - six oranges would cost you $4.75 in USD or 3.6 Euro
In Paris, 2kg = 2.7 euros

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote Ernest, your assertion that ALL products in Japan are imported, thus expensive is not only incorrect, it would be economically unfeasible. Not ALL but 90% of them. Most of fructs, vegetables, weat... HOW MUCH IS AN APPLE?
First of all, fruits and vegetables are mostly grown locally, apples, pears, cherries, tangerines, and etc. are frequently grown in Japan. Where do you get your information? Whomever is telling you these lies should be stopped. I was there last two years ago. I wasn't really concerned with the price of apples, so I don't really recall. I DO know that a bag of six oranges was 500 yen at the local grocery store. I'm sorry, I don't really like apples. I hope that answers your question. RIGHT NOW, as of 2005.02.24 21:14:23 GMT. 1.00  United States Dollars \t  \t= \t  \t105.344 JPY So RIGHT NOW - six oranges would cost you $4.75 in USD or 3.6 Euro
In Paris, 2kg = 2.7 euros So you must pay 40% more in Tokyo. If you take account of the strong euros it is more than 70% more. When $1= euros, the orange were at 4.75 euros........ + 67%.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm sure in some places in Tokyo oranges would be cheaper and in others they would be more expensive. The best way to compare prices is still PPP (Purchasing Power Parity) and using the big mac method. http://www.economist.com/markets....3503641 It shows, Japanese big mac $2.50, European $3.75, this isn't absolutely accurate as it's not taking into account regional (city) prices, but generally food prices (except for beef) in Tokyo are not completely out of line IMO. Real Estate is going to be far more problematic, but the last time I saw a survey in terms of the real cost of living in different cities, the two most expensive cities to live in were Oslo and Stockholm, closely followed by London, New York, Tokyo, San Francisco, and Paris.

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm sure in some places in Tokyo oranges would be cheaper and in others they would be more expensive. Â The best way to compare prices is still PPP (Purchasing Power Parity) and using the big mac method. http://www.economist.com/markets....3503641 It shows, Japanese big mac $2.50, European $3.75, this isn't absolutely accurate as it's not taking into account regional (city) prices, but generally food prices (except for beef) in Tokyo are not completely out of line IMO. Â Real Estate is going to be far more problematic, but the last time I saw a survey in terms of the real cost of living in different cities, the two most expensive cities to live in were Oslo and Stockholm, closely followed by London, New York, Tokyo, San Francisco, and Paris.
Big mac is used only because you find it everywhere...

Rbaalrajhi

Reaction score
(drizzt3117 @ Feb. 25 2005,01:21) I'm sure in some places in Tokyo oranges would be cheaper and in others they would be more expensive. Â The best way to compare prices is still PPP (Purchasing Power Parity) and using the big mac method. http://www.economist.com/markets....3503641 It shows, Japanese big mac $2.50, European $3.75, this isn't absolutely accurate as it's not taking into account regional (city) prices, but generally food prices (except for beef) in Tokyo are not completely out of line IMO. Â Real Estate is going to be far more problematic, but the last time I saw a survey in terms of the real cost of living in different cities, the two most expensive cities to live in were Oslo and Stockholm, closely followed by London, New York, Tokyo, San Francisco, and Paris.
Big mac is used only because you find it everywhere...
Of course you can only compare the poduct that you can find everwher, otherwis what is point mashallah.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
true, I think paris and tokyo are pretty close in terms of food costs, Tokyo has more expensive rent though.

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
true, I think paris and tokyo are pretty close in terms of food costs, Tokyo has more expensive rent though.
Tokyo is much more expensive for food.

how much is

1 kg of apple?
1 kg of tomatoes?
1 yahourt?
1 gruyere?
1.5 l of Evian?
1 kg of bananas?
1 kg of ham?

Rbaalrajhi

Reaction score
(drizzt3117 @ Feb. 25 2005,01:52) true, I think paris and tokyo are pretty close in terms of food costs, Tokyo has more expensive rent though.
Tokyo is much more expensive for food. how much is 1 kg of apple? 1 kg of tomatoes? 1 yahourt? 1 gruyere? 1.5 l of Evian? 1 kg of bananas? 1 kg of ham?
Japanese do not eat these food for standard, only frencher do. Evian is the french water, why not can buy the japanese water?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads