HELP ME create the Styleforum communities world cities shopping maps.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LA Guy, Jun 8, 2016.

1. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Hey guys,

One of the initiatives we'd like to start is to create city shopping maps. "What should I do when I go to Rome/London/Paris/NYC/etc... So far, we have maps for Boston, San Francisco, New York, Paris, and Florence. We can't embed google maps here right now, so they are not yet available, but we are going to publish them ASAP.

We are looking to do: Tokyo, London, Seattle, Rome, Los Angeles, Toronto, Vancover, Sydney, and Hong Kong.

We'd like to invite members of the community to contribute to creating these maps. After all, you guys are the experts. I know a handful of cities, and definitely not all of the good stores. We are looking really at the "best" and "special" stores in each city, and so far, we have the following fields for each store:

Name
    Address
    Category
    Brands
    Price
    Note
    Products
    Website
    Phone

If you are interested in contributing to this initiative, please just post in this thread, and I'll PM you. Or just post if you have any questions. And please don't be constrained by the cities we've listed. If there is a great shopping place we've missed, please tell us!

Cheers,

Fok.

2. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

What about Chicago? Lots of great places here too.

3. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

No Seoul? It's the second largest metropolitan area in the world!

4. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

You should add Vienna to the list. It's great for classical clothing.

5. Caustic Man

6. gs77

gs77 Senior member

Meet people, eat with them, drink with them, sleep with them. Visit some museums, concerts...

7. LA Guy

None of our crew is that familiar with Chicago. Last time I was there was about 8 years ago, I think. Would you be interested in getting this started? Once it starts, it could take off. We could create the map and create the table and show you how to use it, and then we could invite more people to it.

Reminds me that I need to go there to eat some fried chicken. Seriously though, it would be awesome if you would be interested in spearheading this. I can get it started, but I know exactly zero stores in Seoul.

I like Vienna - hope to go this winter. But I don't know much about shopping there. Would you be interested in getting a few stores in there, and then letting Viennese locals or frequent visitors pitch in?

Indeed. I suppose that you should have guessed what my answer would be, then.

Cheers,

Fok.

8. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

Yes, Vienna would be nice.

His name eludes me at the moment, but we have a very well-dressed SF member who actually lives in Vienna. He posts on WAYWRN from time to time, although he hasn’t recently. His photos take good advantage of this very photogenic city.

Cheers,

Ac

9. Caustic Man

Shouldn't be a problem. I can think of half a dozen stores off the top of my head.

10. LA Guy

Awesome. I'll try get this made in the next day or so. I'll also open up Paris and Boston to you so that you can take a look at what it looks like finished.

Man... I.... am.... so... far... behind... everywhere.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2016

11. Nikolaus

Nikolaus Senior member

LA Guy; you're the ultimate fashion guru! [​IMG]
    I think it would be more user friendly if organized as a separate sub-site; for bigger cities you've mentioned maps, for smaller cities geographical folders.
    Example; Venezia - Italy, not enough data for a map? Insert into a folder so each member can contribute a short description of a shop for a given smaller location. On a static map you can then add dots of various colours, for easy orientation: 1.is the city covered 2.colour and dimension of the dot to show how much data their is.

This could really be the ultimate killer; especially combined with an iPhone/Android application! (it could even bring some revenue)

Last edited: Jun 11, 2016

12. sprout2

sprout2 Senior member

Would there be two sets of pins, so we could toggle on/off CM/SWD overlays? Is that racist?

13. sprout2

sprout2 Senior member

Smaller cities with only one clothing store of note could be marked with this symbol on the map:

[​IMG]

14. Nikolaus

Nikolaus Senior member

it would certainly stimulate the installation of dry-walls; how to divide one shop into many.

15. BanditRaven

BanditRaven Member

Being new to the scene I can't really provide anything but I'll definitely be keeping an eye on the Tokyo portion of this initiative.