1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What are your 10 favorite cities in the world?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by drizzt3117, Nov 24, 2004.

1. ernest

ernest Senior member

May be you could invite me to sleep too as Hotels are expensive.

One details = I don't like nature and I don't like to walk for a long time (I have a problem of blood circulation so my legs hurts me when I stand/walk more than 3 hours.)

2. topcatny

topcatny Senior member

ernest i do not know who told you that, but it is such an overgeneralization and can't even begin to explain.

I have family and friends that live in New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Connecticut, Maine, New Hampshire, Florida, Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota, Georgia, Louisiana, Texas, Colorado, Arizona, California, Missouri, West Virginia, Tennessee, Washington, Virginia, Maryland and probably a couple of more I forgot and I know of exactly 1 person who drives a pick-up truck (my brother in-law who has it for his masonry business). I know of not one person who wears cowboy boots. Baseball cap and sneakers on the other hand, guilty as charged. And most of my friends have traveled extensively throughout Europe. So don't be so quick to believe everything people tell you. Sometimes it's better to see it with your own eyes and make judgements for yourself.

3. ernest

ernest Senior member

(ernest @ Feb. 25 2005,20:11) The few americans I met in Paris told me that = "We like our country but we don't like our people as most are fat, uneducated, drives large pick up, wear cowboys boots or sneakers with a cap, don't travel AT ALL, only cares about their house, their garden and their cars, we always reconize US people in Paris..."
    ernest i do not know who told you that, but it is such an overgeneralization and can't even begin to explain. I have family and friends that live in New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Connecticut, Maine, New Hampshire, Florida, Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota, Georgia, Louisiana, Texas, Colorado, Arizona, California, Missouri, West Virginia, Tennessee, Washington, Virginia, Maryland and probably a couple of more I forgot and I know of exactly 1 person who drives a pick-up truck (my brother in-law who has it for his masonry business). Â I know of not one person who wears cowboy boots. Baseball cap and sneakers on the other hand, guilty as charged. Â And most of my friends have traveled extensively throughout Europe. Â So don't be so quick to believe everything people tell you. Â Sometimes it's better to see it with your own eyes and make judgements for yourself.
    No problem. When can I come to visit someone of your family?

4. Roy

Roy Senior member

(Roy @ Feb. 26 2005,02:10) Drizzt, I am totally in agreement with you. If Ernest is ever in the neighbourhood of Amsterdam (only 50 euro and 3 hours away by Thalys) I'll invite him for dinner and show him around town. But for now I am leaving this discussion and heading to bed. So good night to you and my dear friend Ernest.
    May be you could invite me to sleep too as Hotels are expensive. One details = I don't like nature and I don't like to walk for a long time (I have a problem of blood circulation so my legs hurts me when I stand/walk more than 3 hours.)
    I'm sorry Ernest, that's more a second or even third date kind of thing [​IMG] Dinner and showing you around is as far I am willing to go.

5. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

ernest, there are such things as hostels, esp in Amsterdam [​IMG]

6. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

Not that GQ is the trump card or in my tourists arsenal or anything, but they have a fairly large article in this months mag stating:
    I believe they also praise the quality and selection of fashion, nightlife, services, etc. above anywhere else in the world.

I'm glad to think that there are some people who were as impressed with Tokyo as I was.

7. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

The Coolest City on the Planet 2005: TOKYO GQ circled the globe in search of the answer to this question: where CAN a man find everything he needs"”the best clothes, restaurants, design, nightlife, and more"”in one mind-blowing city? Here are ten reasons to haul your ass to Tokyo Reason #1 1. The best ingredients, the best chefs, the best food. Anywhere.
    I believe they also praise the quality and selection of fashion, nightlife, services, etc. above anywhere else in the world. I'm glad to think that there are some people who were as impressed with Tokyo as I was.
    I saw that TS, looks like you are not alone.

8. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

I think GQ is watching us... ever notice that when we discuss something like this on the forum, a month or two later, they chime in with their response?

perhaps I'm just paranoid... or we are just one step ahead of them or something...

9. j

j Senior member Admin

Glenn O'Brien ripped me off this month. He made some remark about not ever having a pocket square you couldn't actually use to blow your nose (i.e. linen or cotton). IIRC, this conflicts with some advice he gave previously. Either way, I am clearly the originator in all space and time of this opinion and I want my credit.

I think they are still bitter about their forum being ripped on in the NYT article.

10. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

J,

I might have missed your post about this, but I have posted that, as well (although, in all fairness, maybe I did steal it from you, it would seem to be the polite thing to admit to, this being your place and all....)

11. danceratheart

danceratheart New Member

10. Boston, USA- one of the most historical cities in the world. Though it can get pretty cold there, I have never seen another city keep its historical beauty, but still be so modern and lively. There is something so soothing about boston, a feeling that can't be found anywhere else.

9. Quebec- What a sophisticated city. You really could feel like your in Europe, but still so unique.

8. Rome, Italy- YUM! You can't find bad food in Rome. Not to mention the great attitude. No one in Rome seems to not be busy or knowing what their doing. There is something great happening around every corner.

7. Prague- What a classic city. Whats there not to love. The language, the people, the castle's, the history, its all their. I have talked to more then a few individuals who say this is their favorite city in the world. What a city, What a city...

6. Amstersterdam, the Netherlands- This CRAZY city, how they manage to have so many drugs and what not in it, and still have not a hint of trashy in it. It's so classy. Just being there, you feel a certain sense from the others, everyone there seems happy. I love this city, and everything about it.

5. Sydney, Australia- This is an amazingly unique, fun city. It's got the beach, and the wonderful free attitude, but still a city. You can seem to find bush area,city area, and neighborhood area. It's a great place. Not to mention Syndey at night is enough to literally take your breathe away.

4. London, England- The sophistication, culture, and modernization in this city is unbelievable. No other city has this much strength in it. Plus next Broadway, it has one of the best theatre's in the world. What a historically magical place. There is always something to do in London.

3.San Fransisco, USA- Hands down the best and ONLY properly rated place in California. Every where else is overrated, and over poluted. But San Fran is amazing. "Where Little Cable Cars, Climb Half Way To the Stars.." This city truely sparkles. Everyone should visit this place.

2.Paris, France- This is really the city of dreams. "What Is It About Paris That Can Make A Grown Man Cry?" How true it is. There is something about this city no one can quite put their finger on, but it does have a magic in it. Everyone looks so good all the time, no one looks rushed. And I disagree when people say the French are snobby, they just know their culture and keep to it. I have much respect for this city and the people in it. Not to mention how incredibly clean this city is. It truely amazes people. Everything about this city is flawless, even the bad things. The deep history, the fashion, and the FOOD! It's all wonderful.

1. Manhattan, USA- I never really knew what it particularly was about this city, but it has always had my heart for as long as I can remember. It does have many negative aspects to it, but I think it's what makes New York, New York. It's so real. The Theatre is New York is unbeatable, and unbelievable. Every morning you wake up their, you get the feeling from everyone there that they are ready to conquer the world. It really is the city that neve sleeps, as you can see people pouring back into their apartments at five or six in the morning. Anything you want, you can find it in New York. It's true, if you can make it their you can make it anywhere. This city is the entire universe in a city. This place has my heart, always has. That skyline is to die for.

12. brissyboy

brissyboy Senior member

13. Mauby

Mauby Senior member

Definitely a hard Q to answer. Will leave Chicago out of my answer for obviously biased reasons. In no particular order:

Tokyo, Japan
    Portland, OR USA
    Rio de Janiero, Brazil
    Macau, Macau Peninsula China
    Dublin, Ireland
    Las Vegas, NV USA
    Makati, Philippines
    Toronto, ON Canada
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
    San Antonio, TX USA

14. shemazar

shemazar Active Member

Have not visited much of Europe, so my views may be skewed somewhat to the Asian/American continents... anyway, here's the list of one North Carolinian:

1. Shanghai, China
    2. London, England
    3. Hong Kong, China
    4. Charleston, South Carolina, USA
    5. Seoul, South Korea
    6. San Diego, California, USA
    7. Firenze (Florence), Italy
    8. Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
    9. Tokyo, Japan

15. greekonomist

greekonomist Senior member

I wish I had more travel experience, both in the US and abroad (especially Latin America), but here's my list:

Honorable Mention: San Juan

10. Philadelphia
    9. Boston
    8. Berlin/Muenchen
    7. Montreal
    6. NYC
    5. Firenze
    4. Praha,
    3. Sevilla
    2. London
    1. Wien

Want to go: Tokyo, Buenos Aires, Cartagena, St Petersburg, Alexandria, Hong Kong, San Francisco, Mexico City, Havana, Lisbon, Sydney, Barcelona, Budapest, Istanbul, Napoli (for sartorial reasons), etc

16. Charles55

Charles55 Well-Known Member

In no particular order:

Paris
    New York City
    Barcelona
    Emerald coast
    Aix-en-Provence
    London
    Hamburg/Munich
    Rome

17. Bunny

Bunny Member

Rio de Janeiro -

Easily the most beautiful setting I've ever seen.
    Sure, it's dangerous, dirty, loud, and touristy, but the combination of some of the world's most beautiful beaches, mountains, rain forest and metropolitan downtown area is something very special. I wouldn't necessarily have to come back, but I wouldn't miss having seen it once for the world.

Berlin -
    I moved here about a year ago, and the polarities are endlessly fascinating. Big parts of the city suffer from social tension and unemployment, yet others have a very special small-town community feeling about it, all of that in the center. Also hundreds of lakes, forests and green areas and the general sprawl of the city (Berlin is eight times as large as Paris despite comparable population figures). Vibrant nightlife yet affordable prices wherever and whatever you do.

Jakarta -
    actually not my favorite, but so disturbing and significant it's another must-see.

San Francisco -
    I only have a tourist's view of the city, but it's beautiful, unique and memorable.

Venice -
    same as SF, but for different reasons :p

Brügge -
    I had no idea what to expect here, but this quaint town is a real underrated gem, with incredible parks and the middle ages center of town. Good restaurants as well.

Athens -
    Also very dirty, but an absolutely fantastic mood at night, and very intriguing if you care for Greek history.

18. rolex

rolex Senior member

Los Angeles
    New York
    Geneva

19. Raz

Raz Senior member

Dubai

London

Islamabad

Tokyo

Abu Dabi