• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are your 10 favorite cities in the world?

Rbaalrajhi

Reaction score
(drizzt3117 @ Feb. 25 2005,01:52) true, I think paris and tokyo are pretty close in terms of food costs, Tokyo has more expensive rent though.
Tokyo is much more expensive for food. how much is 1 kg of apple? 1 kg of tomatoes? 1 yahourt? 1 gruyere? 1.5 l of Evian? 1 kg of bananas? 1 kg of ham?
How much cost the shwarma or falafel in London compare to Jeddah? how much cost the sushi and tepanyaki in paris compar to tokyo? what are you talking.

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(ernest @ Feb. 24 2005,16:56)
Originally Posted by drizzt3117,Feb. 25 2005,01:52
true, I think paris and tokyo are pretty close in terms of food costs, Tokyo has more expensive rent though.
Tokyo is much more expensive for food. how much is 1 kg of apple? 1 kg of tomatoes? 1 yahourt? 1 gruyere? 1.5 l of Evian? 1 kg of bananas? 1 kg of ham?
Japanese do not eat these food for standard, only frencher do. Evian is the french water, why not can buy the japanese water?
how much is japanese water? yes, they only eat misso soup and fish. But we were talking about "best cities for food". So if you only eat misso & sushi I don't think you can say you eat well. Are your sure that only French eat vegetables and fruits and ham??

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
If you take account of the strong euros it is more than 70% more.

Huh? Do you have any idea what you just said? Cause it makes no sense from here -

If the dollar was as strong as the Euro at that moment - which is what I think you are trying to say, the Yen would be a: either trading higher due to its direct ties to the USD, or trading both at the current Euro rate - which is exactly what I quoted you earlier:500 Yen = 3.6 Euro. You said you paid 2.7 Euro for Oranges, so how is 0.9 Euro 70% higher than what you are paying for oranges now?

Rbaalrajhi

Reaction score
(Rbaalrajhi @ Feb. 25 2005,01:58)
Originally Posted by ernest,Feb. 24 2005,16:56
Originally Posted by drizzt3117,Feb. 25 2005,01:52
true, I think paris and tokyo are pretty close in terms of food costs, Tokyo has more expensive rent though.

Japanese do not eat these food for standard, only frencher do. Evian is the french water, why not can buy the japanese water?
how much is japanese water? yes, they only eat misso soup and fish. But we were talking about "best cities for food". So if you only eat misso & sushi I don't think you can say you eat well.
Nobu = one of best resaturant in london = japanese Uma = also one of best in london = also japanese ok french food is better, but japan food also good, it depnd on the tastes of person, i like it the lamb in shwarma

Kaga

Reaction score
ok french food is better, but japan food also good, it depnd on the tastes of person, i like it the lamb in shwarma
If my memory serves me correctly, Nobu is American in genesis. IMMSMC x2 the Paris Nobu closed down for lack of interest. Having eaten there in my search for the best chefs in the world I can say the atmosphere left something to be desired, perhaps more suggestive broom closets. But in Japan you can have the best of all cuisines, in the same room, every week. ALLEZ CUISINE....

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you take account of the strong euros it is more than 70% more.
Huh? Do you have any idea what you just said? Cause it makes no sense from here - If the dollar was as strong as the Euro at that moment - which is what I think you are trying to say, the Yen would be a: either trading higher due to its direct ties to the USD, or trading both at the current Euro rate - which is exactly what I quoted you earlier:500 Yen = Â 3.6 Euro. You said you paid 2.7 Euro for Oranges, so how is 0.9 Euro 70% higher than what you are paying for oranges now?
Situation now = with the strong euro (weak $ and yen) 0.9/2.7 = 33% Japanese oranges are 33% moreexpensive than French ones Situation when 1$ = 1 euro 500 yen = 5 euros 5/2.7 = +85% Japanese oranges are 85% more expensive than French.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Ernest... you are rapidly digging yourself a hole of nonsense that I fear you may never escape from. You are entitled to your opinion that Tokyo is not one of the ten best cities, or whatever you have twisted this into. I would greatly appreciate it though if you would not continue to insist on the fact that Japanese people "only eat misso soup and fish " I'm pretty sure I just spent an entire day telling you that among the excellent local cuisines, they have an infinite variety of other things. Japanese people eat Duck, Pork, Beef, Noodles, Fruits, Vegetables, Pastries, and many other things.

Your view of "Good Food " seems only to extend to the borders of your own experience. I'd encourage you to be less elitist and more open minded to food other than French cuisine - again, which is available in abundance in Tokyo for very reasonable prices if you so desire.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Situation when 1$ = 1 euro
500 yen = 5 euros

Fortunately for the rest of us, currency exchange only works that way in your imagination.

When one us dollar and one euro are the same VALUE, the yen's trade will change... so insead of 105 yen to the dollar like it is today, it would probably be trading closer to 139 yen to the dollar like it does to the Euro today. Unless the EU collapses and the Euro devalues significantly, in which case the cost of Oranges in Tokyo will not be of much concern to you.

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Situation when 1$ = 1 euro 500 yen = 5 euros
Fortunately for the rest of us, currency exchange only works that way in your imagination. When one us dollar and one euro are the same VALUE, the yen is also VALUED higher... it's tied roughly to the dollar so insead of 105 yen to the dollar like it is today, it would probably be trading closer to 139 yen to the dollar like it does to the Euro today. Unless the EU collapses and the Euro devalues significantly, in which case the cost of Oranges in Tokyo will not be of much concern to you.
Are you stupid? 4.75 $ (same price if the rate of yen/$ remain the same) = would be 4.75 EUROS.............. if you prefer, forget $. If the Euros was not so high, 500 yen would be more than 3.7 euros. Now it is 140 yen for 1 euros 500 yen = 3.53 euros When it was 115 yen for 1 euros (2 years ago when 1euro =1$) 500 yen = 4.35 4.35/2.7 = +61% 2 years ago the price of oranges were 60% more in Tokyo than in Paris

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Ok, I sort of understand what you are saying, it was written in a very confusing manner with the dollar/euro/yen triangle.

Yes, two years ago the yen was stronger and the Euro weaker. Tokyo was much more expensive for you. I'll tell you though, that the difference between what I normally pay for food in the U.S. and what I pay for food in Tokyo is negligable, there is just much more variety in Tokyo due to the proportionately larger number of restaraunts and groceries, and etc.

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Boy it really is tough trying to get you to understand me. The Euro is stronger than the dollar, so you get more yen.

If the dollar was stronger, and the Euro stayed the same, the oranges would be cheaper for us, and the same for you.

if the Euro was weaker, and the dollar stayed the same, it would be more expensive for you, but probably the same for me.

Since the Euro hasn't traded at 1/1 with the dollar in quite some time, the USD would have to be worth more, therefore the first scenario is much more likely.

So your price would most likely not change.
Still 3.6 Euro for oranges in Tokyo.

I'd really like to be getting 139 yen to the dollar right now like you are. I'll tell you that. It would make my upcoming trip much cheaper.

When I say stronger $  = against EURO

I don't see why you use yen/$ and $/ euros...

Forget the  $ (useless for orange.) as yen is convertible with euros.

Just look at euro/yen exchange rate.

5 years ago, the euros was at 95 yen.
500 yen = 5.28 euros....

Prices is Japan looks (for european) lower as they used to be because of the strong EUROS against YEN.

They are 30% more now but used to be 80% more with a weaker EUROS against YEN (and usually euros weaker against $ in the same time)

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
You will run into that anywhere you go with an exchange rate though Ernest. The world uses different currencies with different values. And at all times they fluctuate and change. That should have nothing to do with a cities good or bad food.

As you said, the Dollar was stronger against the Euro at that time too - so during that time, in your opinion was NYC any LESS of a good city for food?

Just be glad the EU is doing well and the dollar and yen are slumping... NOW IS THE TIME TO GO TO JAPAN.

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You will run into that anywhere you go with an exchange rate though Ernest. The world uses different currencies with different values. And at all times they fluctuate and change. That should have nothing to do with a cities good or bad food.

As you said, the Dollar was stronger against the Euro at that time too - so during that time, in your opinion was NYC any LESS of a good city for food?

Just be glad the EU is doing well and the dollar and yen are slumping... NOW IS THE TIME TO GO TO JAPAN.
Even NOW Japan is expensive as oranges are still 33% more than in Paris.

Have you understood that you don't need to use $ in this case?

And that anyway it doesn't change anything as $ + yen are going in the same way agaisnt euros?

YES, NYC would be a less good city for food as everything would be very EXEPENSIVE and for the same money I could eat best in EUROPE then.

If 1 euros = 10$, NYC would be the best place for food in the world for an european tourist.

You can find good food in all big cities as everybody imports the same food.

It is only a matter of price. And Tokyo (as it imports more of its food than France or US) is very expensive for americans and expensive for europeans.

A city where you need to spend the double for the same apple is not a good city for food IMO.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So by that standard, we would all be going to Buenos Aires or places where the currency is really weak... that is not a very good argument ernest.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads