• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you giving up for Lent?

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread is for Catholics only; please no annoying and unfunny joke responses to derail the thread like "religion" or "Catholicism", etc.

I do not engage in many vices, but I think that I will give up on buying clothes and the general interest in clothes and outward display of StyleForum. I'm not sure if I'll give up StyleForum itself. I will certainly not go on the B&S forum during Lent.

Emptym?

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bluemagic
This thread is for Catholics only; please no annoying and unfunny joke responses to derail the thread like "religion" or "Catholicism", etc.

I do not engage in many vices, but I think that I will give up on buying clothes and the general interest in clothes and outward display of StyleForum. I'm not sure if I'll give up StyleForum itself. I will certainly not go on the B&S forum during Lent.

Emptym?

I'm not Catholic, but I always try to give up something for Lent. This year for me its soda.

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess I would consider myself Baptist. Most member of my family have been baptized, although I have not.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am giving up dessert/sweets of any kind with the exception of yogurt, which has nutritional value and probably couldn't be classified as a true dessert anyway.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was raised Catholic, but don't really attend mass more than a handful of times each year. I still try to give something up for Lent. I'm not sure I'm outright giving up anything this year, though I am only letting myself eat starchy carbs for breakfast and post-workout since I've gotten tired of seeing this layer of flab developing around the old midsection.

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also have not been the most attendant at Mass or the Catholic community in general, although my belief has not wavered. I think Lent is a good wake-up call.

jgold47

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am jewish, but I always try to give something up during lent. Why not, when Xmillion other people are trying to give something up too, there is nothing like having some support. This year, its spicy food, I am taking all my hot sauces to my parents for the next month and a half.

CBDB

Reaction score
Alcohol and deserts and doing a decade of the rosary each day. Also remember that Sunday's are not part of lent...so drink up.
smile.gif

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CBDB
Alcohol and deserts and doing a decade of the rosary each day. Also remember that Sunday's are not part of lent...so drink up.
smile.gif

Growing up, we said the rosary every day during lent. I can remember cutting farts with my brothers and getting thoroughly shamed to have the audacity to do so at such a solemn time.

A friend of mine was forced to say it every single day of the week with his family until he finally left home to go to college..
plain.gif

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Haven't settled on anything yet. The little one is giving up hot sauce (which is quite meaningful to him). He requests that - instead of giving up something - I perform penance with him in the form of 10 minutes' fielding practice a day. I agreed in principle but drew the line once he started tacking on additional provisions. Will that make me a better Christian? Doubtful.

Perhaps I'll drop the TV altogether, or commit to a to-do list, or dial back the interwebs in order to get projects done around the house. that last one sounds best. Along with the fielding practice.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I gave up Lent.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads