• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you giving up for Lent?

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5
Nada. I haven't observed lent since I was 12 or something

Originally Posted by Jumbie
I gave up Lent.

Please be respectful of this thread. Did you read the original post, or did you just post whatever was in your head without reading anything?

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
styleforum, superfuture, weekly onemanga, tv, movies, and buying/looking at clothes/shoes. hmmm. but i dunno if i should not read CE.

is it weird if a baptist observes lent?

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You people really should find something to give up other than buying stuff.... the economy really needs it right now.

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dtmt
You people really should find something to give up other than buying stuff.... the economy really needs it right now.

Lent-based drops in consumption must have already been priced into stock prices.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm giving-up carbonated/sugared/commercial soft-drinks for Lent (will try to drink more water, iced tea and juice). Anglican/Episcopalian.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
bluemagic threaks.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bluemagic
Did you read the original post, or did you just post whatever was in your head without reading anything?

The latter.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bluemagic
Please be respectful of this thread. Did you read the original post, or did you just post whatever was in your head without reading anything?

Lighten up, Francis. If you want only serious answers, ask around after mass lets out.

I think it's funny how people use Lent as a self-help tool. You're supposed to sacrifice for faith, not cut carbs and drop 5 pounds. Better to do some volunteer work or something.

I gave up Lent.
Thanks, parochial school grade 5 smartass
sarcasm.gif

blackplatano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoreman1782
Lighten up, Francis. If you want only serious answers, ask around after mass lets out. I think it's funny how people use Lent as a self-help tool. You're supposed to sacrifice for faith, not cut carbs and drop 5 pounds. Better to do some volunteer work or something. Thanks, parochial school grade 5 smartass
sarcasm.gif

Every thread in SF history regarding religion does that, I think It's time to actually have a serious one. Anyways, I do not know what to give up yet. Any suggestions? I'm thinking about SF.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
I don't mean to be disrespectful of the way anyone believes, so please don't take it that way, but I do have a question. Do people really think that giving up incredibly inconsequential things for Lent matters? These forty days represent the days that Jesus resisted the temptations of the Devil, when he was at his weakest (if you believe that God can be at his weakest). Lent is meant to honor that incredible sacrifice and to sacrifice something that is as meaningful to you as is possible. It's to prepare you for the joyous occasion of celebrating the death and resurrection of your Savior.
I just have a hard time understanding how some people believe that giving up pop is meaningful in any way (to the person who said pop, this isn't directed at you, it was just an example that always pops up in my head during Lent). I think a much more fitting preparation would be to fast and to pray instead of giving up something entirely meaningless to honor God's gift.
YMMV, and I didn't mean to disrespect anyone, but that is a question that I always have that no Catholic has ever explained to me.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
I don't mean to be disrespectful of the way anyone believes, so please don't take it that way, but I do have a question. Do people really think that giving up incredibly inconsequential things for Lent matters?

The sacrifice is in and of itself meaningless. What matters is, similar to what you said, to understand the notion of sacrifice and what goes along with it. That's why people tend (or maybe its not consciously done like this, I don't know) give up something pleasurable, or something that people enjoy greatly. It puts into stark contrast the pleasure/sacrifice dichotomy.

As for the self help thing, we're going to think that anything that brings us closer to God, or makes us more God-like is self help, but I know what you mean.

For me: it is going out to eat. I like to do that a lot. I will put some of that money I normally would have spent into Catholic Relief Services' Operation Rice Bowl.

PS: it is "coke:, not "pop."

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Mountain Dew is Coke?
****. You and Fran. What's in the water down there?

Never equate us please.

And I said "coke", not "Coke."

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wow Kyle. That's really quite deep. I've always wondered the same kind of questions. It is my understanding that giving something up for Lent is a means of gaining some kind of understanding of the suffering and sacrifice that Christ endured in our stead. I never understood how not eating meat or drinking soda in anyway equated.

I'm a Lutheran, btw.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads