• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you drinking right now?

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
She’s French. She wouldn’t know wtf a letter jacket is. It’s like asking her where can I get a quarter pounder with cheese.

Oh, she knows you have a Quarter Pound with cheese in your pants…

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
57F3E609-ECCC-463D-A9FD-61087658BFCE.jpeg

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Xxplosive!

My alcoholic friend huntsman he on it!

Xxplosive!

On esoteric booze he can posit!

Xxplosive!

The bottles at the back of the bar he attracted to!

Xxplosive!

Now all the winos at the bar say his **** explosive and thank you!

When i metcha last night laaaydayyy!

Beforrrrrrre! You blew up my tab (blew blew blew up my tab)!

Now I'm sober checking my bank statement and kinda mad....

Here lady hit the bong!

We partied way too long!

Now I'm sober and wantya gone!

That's Huntsman on West Coast Shiiiiit!

That made me chuckle, thanks! Back in the 70's and 80's there were competing trends in HiFi -- West Coast and East Coast sound, with JBL and Altec before them being the champions of West Coast sound, known for a very warm midrange, and some other things the audiophiles get very nerdy about and which I don't understand. But that West Coast Sound is what always sounds the best to my ears and I use old JBL speakers exclusively (18Ti's and L112s).

Agreed, although I have a few cocktails and tiki drinks I use it in which makes it more than just a spring drink to me. I really want to get a bottle of the VEP to try that out.
I'm going to France in a couple weeks and am definitely planning on hunting it down at least at a bar. It's absurdly expensive here in the US, not like Chartreuse isn't already expensive.

Yeah, I need to replace my VEP and it is on the other side of $150 now, which is depressing. I think mine, just pre-Covid, was $110. I once had a sample of Chartreuse Elixir Vegetal at a little French restaurant where I spotted it and got very excited; a tiny bottle in a little wooden box, at an absurdly high proof, like 140 or something, and that was crazy. It isn't sweet or syrupy or viscous at all, and I remember it virtually vaporizing off my tongue but leaving behind all of its aromatics and herbal notes. Really cool. Would love to use it in cocktails.

Yellow is definitely not as essential as Green. Sasha Petraske's Regarding Cocktails (best cocktail book for the money, imo) has a recipe for a great drink called The Stark that requires Yellow. That's pretty much what I use it for. Would take Yellow over almost all other modifiers, however.

I know that I go against conventional wisdom, but the Yellow is better with dark spirits (rye, bourbon, cognac), than is the original. It just is. I actually do more with Yellow than with the Green, probably because I find the dark spirits' more assertive profiles stand up better to the Yellow's slightly more mellow tone than does gin with the Green. Don't get me wrong, I love them and require both on my bar at all times. But, try the Monte Cassino - a quad with equal parts Yellow, rye, Benedictine, and lemon and tell me it is less essential than Green!! Even the Champs Elysses comes alive with Yellow. Or, Franck Andoux's amazing cocktail, aptly called The Yellow, another quad with equal parts Yellow, Suze, Gin, and Lemon. Incredible. And yes of course The Widow's Kiss.

~ H

tdes81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have to say, suze on the rocks has become one of my favorite things. Amaros are fun but suze has just got the right kick and flavor to it.

tdes81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A8A37B0A-1BAB-4B44-B3D4-A3271FF8E879.jpeg

White Negroni. I may just say this is an improvement on the original. Doing equal parts gin (Hendricks lunar), lillet and suze.

tdes81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The wife: “make me something sweet and fruity but I don’t want rum”

me:
22004861-8E97-417A-92BA-B78F0538708F.jpeg

1.25 oz vodka
0.75 oz Malibu (sigh, I know)
0.5 oz giffard white creme de cacao
1.25 oz passionfruit juice
1.25 oz pineapple juice
1 oz lime juice
0.5 oz fassionola

the wife: “wow this has a nice taste of real coconut, how’d you do that?”

me: “that’s the Malibu…”

Last edited:

tdes81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As an aside, i find vodka completely uninteresting, but the wife likes it in place of gin/rum because i guess she doesn't like flavors. Any suggestions? I've a bottle of rain and haku, which I guess are cheap but good, but don't know if I'm missing anything. Honestly it just seems like the place of vodka is to add alcohol content without adding any flavor.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
As an aside, i find vodka completely uninteresting, but the wife likes it in place of gin/rum because i guess she doesn't like flavors. Any suggestions? I've a bottle of rain and haku, which I guess are cheap but good, but don't know if I'm missing anything. Honestly it just seems like the place of vodka is to add alcohol content without adding any flavor.

Reyka is pretty good. Nice flavor profile, good mouthfeel. They use water from Iceland to dilute the grain neutral spirit. Also whole thing is made with geothermal energy, if you're into that sort of thing.

I also don't like vodka in general, but we usually keep a bottle on hand.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads