• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you drinking right now?

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm with Hunts on this. That most definitely was not the proper way to enjoy these liquors.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Stoli w/some lemonade....
First started drinking this mixture in the Dominican Republic...

Last edited:

17 Seconds

Reaction score

Marc...,

Just tried your recipe.

I love sour, but this seemed a little bitter to me.  Was it the Rose's?  This was my first taste of Rose's.

Cheers,

I've always thought that any of the pre-made syrups (Rose's grenadine, lime cordial) added a bitter, manufactured/fake taste to drinks. It's easy enough to make your own syrups/grenadine. Give that a shot. It's the cocktail equivalent of shining your own shoes. You can make your own sour mix-it's delicious (don't be afraid of the eggs).

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yah, I think b1os know what I was thinking.

I am all for using premium spirits in cocktails, and I am all for drinking (with proper respect) old and rare spirits. But I think combining these ideals is probably not the best use of either. That old cognac must be incredible, and something that a cognac aficinado would love to have in its own right -- its pre-phylloxera cognac for heaven's sake! I would love to taste it! Likewise with the Kummel and the other spirit -- I would enjoy those ancient spirits as they are and for what they are rather than muddling them together and thus not enjoying the remarkable qualities they individually possess. I feel the same way about the Ritz Sidecar.

One day, I will open my Port Ellen and my 1943 Sauternes. But I won't mix them!

~ H

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yah, I think b1os know what I was thinking.

I am all for using premium spirits in cocktails, and I am all for drinking (with proper respect) old and rare spirits. But I think combining these ideals is probably not the best use of either. That old cognac must be incredible, and something that a cognac aficinado would love to have in its own right -- its pre-phylloxera cognac for heaven's sake! I would love to taste it! Likewise with the Kummel and the other spirit -- I would enjoy those ancient spirits as they are and for what they are rather than muddling them together and thus not enjoying the remarkable qualities they individually possess. I feel the same way about the Ritz Sidecar.

One day, I will open my Port Ellen and my 1943 Sauternes. But I won't mix them!

~ H

Fair enough, but it's a simple enough cocktail that you'll still be able to appreciate the ingredients. And I doubt the spirits are really all that amazing to begin with- just old. Once you put it in a bottle, it's not improving, just sitting. They would be interesting straight, but primarily out of historic interest. Why not enjoy them in a variety of ways?

Last edited:

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, I agree apart from the cognac -- I realize it does not improve in glass, but pre-phylloxera cognac is supposed to be something of a big deal (naturally, I have no actual idea). I am pretty big on this historic interest, so I think that we shall differ on this issue!

~ H

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
This makes me think about NYE this year. We're going to finish off the bottle of 1965 Louis Tres.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My first taste of Buffalo Trace's "Colonel EH Taylor Tornado Surviving" bourbon whiskey. Long story behind the name, but this is a very good whiskey. A little hot, so I added a bit of water, but very good, complex bourbon. I also bought the rye, which I will try tomorrow.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Started off with dinner and a bottle of Rhone Grenache.
Then it was time for my standard 5 oz Citadelle Martini.
Next, to celebrate my new channel knife, I made an Old Fashioned.
2 oz "rich" simple
5 oz Maker's Mark
2 dashes Fee Brothers Old Fashioned Bitters
2 nice strips of orange rind with the new channel knife
Ahhh, that's enough for tonight.

Practicing temperance these days pio?

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

You can make your own sour mix-it's delicious (don't be afraid of the eggs).

Sour mix has eggs? I've always just done lemon (or lime) and simple syrup.

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had a Rum Old Fashioned with 65ml Gosling's, 15ml Dos Madeiras 5+5, 7.5ml Velvet Falernum, Jerry Thomas' Bitters, Simple Syrup, Orange peel. Quite nice. Could be improved with different dark rums though, I'm sure.

Yesterday, an Old Fashioned with 2oz of Woodord Reserve, 1 sugar cupe, 2-3 dashes of Angostura bitters, orange peel.

Today, a Cuba Libre with 35ml of Myer's Rum, 40ml of Appleton White, 1/3 lime, about 25cl of Coke (German Coke is better than Dutch Coke...).

Last edited:

denning

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had some rosolio yeterday. It is similar to Limoncello, but made with rose petals instead of lemon. Had a cinnamon taste to go with the nose of rose petals. Sweet, cinnamon, floral, all in all kind of like drinking cinnamon hearts. Not an everyday thing, and I generally don't have a sweet tooth, but it has its place I suppose.

cocostella

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Sounds like it might have mixing potential?

Just Got back from 3 nights of excellent food and drink in San Francisco. Hit up several of the City's cocktail bars (Comstock, Tradition, Wilson&Wilson, Romolo) and coupla' dives (the Saloon, Dave's and Bow Bow). Had some very good classics and variations thereof (aviation, veux carre, hemingway, amaro sour, south side, sazerac, french 75, pimms cup and old fashioned). However, one of my favorite ryes is Templeton. Found a place not far from Union Square where it was $7 for a shot AND a bottle of murika's finest shite beer, Miller High Life. Kept me grounded while my wife shopped and after I risked life and limb at Uniqlo for a ****-ton of supima tees, socks and slim chinos. Nice break from the kids. Hella' fun overall.

MarcInDentonTx

Reaction score

Marc...,

Just tried your recipe.

I love sour, but this seemed a little bitter to me.  Was it the Rose's?  This was my first taste of Rose's.

Cheers,

Unsure. Some people just don't like Rose's and find it too overbearing. We like this ratio and use it a lot in the Summer.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Sounds like it might have mixing potential?

Just Got back from 3 nights of excellent food and drink in San Francisco. Hit up several of the City's cocktail bars (Comstock, Tradition, Wilson&Wilson, Romolo) and coupla' dives (the Saloon, Dave's and Bow Bow). Had some very good classics and variations thereof (aviation, veux carre, hemingway, amaro sour, south side, sazerac, french 75, pimms cup and old fashioned). However, one of my favorite ryes is Templeton. Found a place not far from Union Square where it was $7 for a shot AND a bottle of murika's finest shite beer, Miller High Life. Kept me grounded while my wife shopped and after I risked life and limb at Uniqlo for a ****-ton of supima tees, socks and slim chinos. Nice break from the kids. Hella' fun overall.

I really enjoyed Wilson & Wilson when I was there.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads