1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What are you drinking right now?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by VMan, Oct 25, 2006.

1. b1os

b1os Senior member

I'm sure that they use food colouring. According to "vegandrunkard" Rothman & Winter uses FD&C Red #40 and FD&C Blue #1. TBT also uses colouring.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2015
  2. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Ha, I'm on the mailing list for a local wine shop. One of the wines on the list of monthly specials caught my eye, so I followed the link to their website. There were short reviews from various employees, several of which ended by saying something like, "A steal at under $20!" (Yeah, I'm a big-timer.) The listed "special price"? $21.99.
    :)

3. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

Anyone care to discuss their favorite light rums for cocktails? I've been going for Brugal Especial or Mt Gay Silver, sometimes Wray and Nephew overproof for things that call for it. Any other good options?

4. b1os

b1os Senior member

5. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

Sadly seems not to be available here.

6. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

7. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

That ended up being what I grabbed on the way home today. Will give it a try.

1 person likes this.
  8. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

9. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

Call me a philistine, but I prefer Laphroaig PX Cask to Lagavulin 16yo.

Of course, they're both nice.

10. erictheobscure

erictheobscure Senior member

Drinking a surprisingly cheap glass of Heidsieck champagne at Oriel inside termina 3 of LHR. Went to the Bar Americain at the Savoy last night. The cocktails weren't perfect (their current variation on an aviation seemed to me to be inferior to an actual aviation). But it's worth it to sit in a near parody of civility. Especially when your friend pays for all the drinks with her hubby's credit card.

1 person likes this.
  11. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

I have trouble scoring light rums beyond "good" or "bad." It was certainly "good." Did a Hemingway daiquiri and it held up well. I've been drinking more rhum agricoles this summer so there's a bit of an adjustment.

1 person likes this.
  12. saint

saint Senior member

Its National Scotch Day, so having a Black Grouse as it seems a bit too warm for a single malt.

1 person likes this.
  13. MrGimpy

MrGimpy Senior member

No one told me it was National Scotch Day. I'm sure it's just a marketing ploy, but I don't need much convincing to drink scotch so I've just poured a Dalwhinnie 15.

14. tropics

tropics Senior member

christ. it was national tequila day only a few days ago. we'll be a mess by the end of the week.

15. b1os

b1os Senior member

Every day is liquor day.

16. jays978

jays978 Senior member

Manhattan
    - 1.5 Bulleit rye (Rittenhouse after a long day)
    - 0.5 Noilly Prat (Carpano Antica if I'm feeling lavish)
    - Bitter Truth

17. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

One of my favorite cocktails is the Negroni, for the endless number of variants that can be created by switching any of the three ingredients. I've been drinking a version I ordered at a Philadelphia speakeasy a few weeks ago: equal parts rhum agricole blanc, Gran Classico bitter, and Cocchi Rosa; tiki bitters. Serve in a rocks glass over a big cube of ice.

Another one of my favorite cocktails is the Sidecar. I've summerized it by using Clear Creek Pear Brandy as the spirit. After some experimentation, I've decided that lime works better than lemon as the citrus (as with most sours made with clear spirits). Sweetener is Combier, which I prefer to Cointreau due to its crispness. Playing around with substituting some Green Chartreuse in place of some Combier.

18. b1os

b1os Senior member

Which one of the The Bitter Truth bitters?

19. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

Yeah, the only naturally colored one I can find is Tempus Fugits' 'Liquore de Violettes' but it does not work very well in an Aviation to my taste; almost too floral, and the color is a very faint rosy violet. The R&W isn't too terrible; the Bitter Truth looks like a vat of dye, and doesn't taste all that good in any event.

Yeah, Flor de Cana 4 is my second favorite white rum for mixing, after El Dorado 3 -- the demara sugar rums seem to have more character as a white rum than anything other than an agricole.

That sounds like a Sara Justice cocktail; must be the Franklin - did you sit upstairs or down? The Franklin has really changed in the last six months; it relaunched and now does bottle service and has only a one-page cocktail menu that articulates a limited vision of cocktails; not that the particular vision is bad, but merely that it is like a band whose music you can always pick out for its constant similarity to itself. The Franklin used to have a lovely almost ten-page menu that was divided into a wide range of cocktails that presented some real options in terms of style and era. Really disappointed.

Sometime, try 1.0oz rum (Appleton V/X, Plantation 6 or the like); 0.5 oz big rum (something with a lot of esters and big banana or vanilla flavors -- like Zaya); 1.0 M&R sweet vermouth, 0.75 Campari, and a barspoon Fernet. Stirred over ice with an orange peel to garnish. I think you will enjoy it.

~ H

1 person likes this.
  20. turkoftheplains

turkoftheplains Senior member

Several Old Weller NY Sours.

Deeply upset to hear what has happened to the Franklin.