• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you drinking right now?

Kappelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These two are the most of my favourites so far.

48980463252_4ee6cca236_b.jpg

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure if lesser known, but certainly a lesser loved Islay. It isn’t bad at all, but it isn’t “Islay” to me...still solid.
C6A354CC-138F-410E-862F-548FBDDCBE82.jpeg

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
It's not "Islay" due to its water source which lacks the peat associated with Islays. This is actually why I like Bunnahabhain more than I usually like Islays. I've a 28 year old bottling, that sadly, is almost gone.

budapest12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought the peat was the barley drying as well. But yeah it is not a peated Islay. Jim Murray comments it can have a Cadbury’s fruit and nut bar flavor which I definitely noticed. Not bad whisky at all but not for peat addicts. I like the 18 which isn’t too crazily priced.

Last edited:

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tend to favor the more balanced malts like that. Highland Park (before all the crazy no age statements) is one of my favorites for that reason. Not too sweet, not too much peat, not too much smoke. Bowmore is another one that gets overshadowed but puts out well balanced malts.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tend to favor the more balanced malts like that. Highland Park (before all the crazy no age statements) is one of my favorites for that reason. Not too sweet, not too much peat, not too much smoke. Bowmore is another one that gets overshadowed but puts out well balanced malts.
Neither good nor bad, but Bowmore is one of the stranger Islay scotches I’ve tried. Such a mellow taste. Very underrated. Not a killer like some of the quintessential Islay offerings, but absolutely worth having in the lineup

budapest12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the occasional Islay but too much peat too much of the time is not for me. A little subtle touch with the peat and some other notes that harmonize with it are preferred at this point. Always come back to the Talisker 10 and 18 and a big fan of all the Campbeltown malts (not original, I know). If you love peat and want something a bit off kilter, a bit wild, Ledaig is often interesting and different but can be very hit or miss (great or terrible bottling).

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I thought the peat was the barley drying as well. But yeah it is not a peated Islay. Jim Murray comments it can have a Cadbury’s fruit and nut bar flavor which I definitely noticed. Not bad whisky at all but not for peat addicts. I like the 18 which isn’t too crazily priced.

Definitely on the malting floor too which they apparently are judicious with. It's really more Speyside than Islay in flavour profile if you ask me.

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This actually surprised me. Glenlivet was my introductory malt (although Abunadh really got me going) and has done little to impress me over the past 5 or so years. Even the 21 is no where what it used to be. So this is medium bodied and fruity with just a hint of cognac flavor. Good depth. Tastes above the 40%abv. Finish is a little on the short side. Very nice compared to the crap the are putting out these days.
413B5F1F-4BB7-4B68-9BC1-AE8537E12DEB.jpeg

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Avery has a series of beers called Ales Of Antiquity. There’s a history professor at the University of Colorado who researches old beerrecipes and works with the head brewer to recreate the recipes. Anyway, this one was released yesterday and is a recreation of an IPA from 1752, and it’s freakin’ delicious. I’m glad I stopped in on my way home this afternoon despite the sloppy snowy roads.

https://blog.averybrewing.com/ales-of-antiquity-1752-india-pale-ale-340029d0a07f

BB142156-CA86-4269-B129-2979D5A526FD.jpeg

Last edited:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Had a Negroni at happy hour tonight. Nice mix. Equal parts Aviation gin, Aperol, Antica Formula, and a nice piece of lemon rind. Very refreshing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 102 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads