• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Well, just went to check out alterations on my suit ... trainwreck

ykurtz

Reaction score
For $1300 (1200+100 for alts) you could have gotten great MTM with surgeon's cuffs, and, if they had messed up the length or any other dimension, you could have had them fix it without worry.

DutchMen

Reaction score
Include a 5th button.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This looks dreadful but if you buy OTR why try to convert it to something it is not - your fault.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They look handmade. Those in you picture were done by machine. Tailor could have told you she would do them by hand.

They don't look that awful. They look kinda charming, actually.

Sleeve length is not an exact science. You can show cuff. It depends if you requested very short in the first place. A half inch off what most men wear would be fine. Plus sleeves get longer with wear. Not much but some. Fabric is fluid. It slumps a bit as it conforms to your body.

Maybe take pix with the sleeve length clear. Then we can say if it looks bad ...

wetnose

Reaction score
Yeah, they don't look horrible. The hand work actually makes it unique, in a way.

Consider most people never see your buttonholes - if it was your lapel button hole, then it'd be a problem.

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GBR
This looks dreadful but if you buy OTR why try to convert it to something it is not - your fault.
I can't say this makes sense. The guy bought a nice suit and took it in for alterations. It isn't his fault if the tailor did a poor job. So he wanted surgeon's cuffs on an OTR suit. That really isn't that esoteric a request. Sounds like he's being accused of hubris or something... Now, it IS his fault if he goes back a second time...
ffffuuuu.gif
Or if he didn't communicate effectively what he wanted. EDIT: On second thought, I looked at the web page for the tailor. OP, hate to break it to you but that doesn't look like the kind of place I would take a $1200 dollar men's suit for alterations. Can you lengthen the sleeve from the shoulder and shorten from the cuff?

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GBR

-1. OP's fault because he wanted properly done button holes on OTR? I suppose these sorts of comments on SF should no longer surprise me. Explains why I no longer solicit comments from folks here.

CruzAzul

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DutchMen
Include a 5th button.

Right on. It works for Tom Ford, and I am not in the business of questioning His wisdom.

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CYstyle
I Suppose you could remove the stitching, see how damaged and weak the fabric is steam it a bit to get it back as normal as possible, take some extra fabric from where they shortened your pants, patch the buttonhole area, then sew new buttonholes and then cut them open, then you'll have new buttonholes and any signs of repair would be covered by the buttons.

I think the best way to handle this would be to take the extra fabric to a weaver and see if they can mend them. However, make sure that the mended cuffs will be durable enough to have a tailor do new buttonholes.

One other potential solution: have a tailor remove the buttons and move all of them to them a little further from the edge so they cover the end of the buttonholes and nobody can see that they aren't keyhole buttonholes.

If you can't get $$ back from the tailor who mangled the suit, is there any chance you purchased the original suit with an Amex? Their buyer protection can be really good, might be worth taking the issue up with them.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dewey
They look handmade. Those in you picture were done by machine. Tailor could have told you she would do them by hand.
They may be sewn by hand, but that is not what a hand-sewn button-hole is supposed to look like. I don't know whether the ones in his last pic were done by hand or by machine, but that is closer to what a proper hand-sewn button-hole should look like. This is what hand-sewn button-holes should look like:
4160929534c8e1ce6642o.jpg
The above are certainly hand-stitched as the image is from JefferyD's blog, and as you can see, they look much more like the example image of the OP, the one you claim are done by machine, than like the button-holes he actually got.
Originally Posted by CYstyle
I Suppose you could remove the stitching, see how damaged and weak the fabric is steam it a bit to get it back as normal as possible, take some extra fabric from where they shortened your pants, patch the buttonhole area, then sew new buttonholes and then cut them open, then you'll have new buttonholes and any signs of repair would be covered by the buttons.
Hand-sewn button-holes are cut before stitching, so you may be able to just remove the button-hole stitching then redo it without needing to patch the hole or anything like that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads