• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Well, just went to check out alterations on my suit ... trainwreck

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by alliswell
I don't see what the return on the $80-100 for working buttonholes is. I get them done on MTM/bespoke because they're priced-in to the build; but why spend the price of a tie on something you'll never use or even think about?

Welcome to Styleforvm! Always great to introduce a n00b into the fray.

Newlaw

Reaction score
Serious question. Is there a functional reason for working button holes? Besides the fact that it looks neat and usually signals high quality craftsmanship, I don't see the point. Do people roll up their suit sleeves?

CYstyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Newlaw
Serious question. Is there a functional reason for working button holes? Besides the fact that it looks neat and usually signals high quality craftsmanship, I don't see the point. Do people roll up their suit sleeves?

Short answer no.

It's a detail people who like and appreciate it get it. Others get it just to have it.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley

You're going to have to dumb this one down a shade for me.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It means, welcome aboard, it is always great fun to see the pile on of menace and snark that comes to a newcomer who made an innocent mistake.

Mike

niidawg3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
Those button-holes are horrendous, even I can sew a better looking button-hole than that...

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Dewey
It's like hiring a house painter to do a portrait of your wife. And then you are going to sue him when the portrait looks amateurish?

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by EBugatti
Very sorry to see what happened.

Unlike several on here that are snobbishly suggesting working button holes only belong on bespoke items, etc. and otherwise lambasting this poor chap, I would offer the following:

(A) Go see Fields or similar highly competent tailor and get an opinion on what could be done (might be too late at this point) and the cost involved.

(B) Provide cost to your original incompetent tailor saying this is what is costs to fix, and if she refuses, suggest you will consider legal options (small claims court), BBB, etc. Usually they'll start to deal at least if this is suggested mildly.

(C) I like to try out a new tailor with an inexpensive fix to see their competency level. Don't go in blind with a brand new (expensive) suit and a non-standard request like working cuffs.

(D) Lesson learned, my friend.

+100. I also like the idea suggested about seeing if the stitching can be removed and re-done. Never done it before so dont know the feasibility but sounds like most locals are recommending Fields, so a check in with him would be the best idea.

Good luck

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like them.

You will drive yourself insane trying to "repair" these. Let it go and enjoy them for their uniqueness. I would.

The length may be another issue - post a pic.

lefty

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't see what the return on the $80-100 for working buttonholes is. I get them done on MTM/bespoke because they're priced-in to the build; but why spend the price of a tie on something you'll never use or even think about?
So I know this may not seem obvious to you, but it really is - either way you are paying for them. In NY btw, there is a place that does machine holes for around 20 I think.
Originally Posted by lefty
I like them. You will drive yourself insane trying to "repair" these. Let it go and enjoy them for their uniqueness. I would. The length may be another issue - post a pic. lefty
Only rational response so far.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What did you say to the tailor when you picked it up? Just curious.

(BTW--I agree, horrific job. It looks like something you'd get from an 8th-grade home economics class.)

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MBreinin
It means, welcome aboard, it is always great fun to see the pile on of menace and snark that comes to a newcomer who made an innocent mistake.

Mike

OK - wasn't clear why I was quoted, but honest mistake.

Originally Posted by haganah
So I know this may not seem obvious to you, but it really is - either way you are paying for them.

Didn't mean to imply that I get them for free with bespoke/MTM - that's as clear to me as it is to you - just that it's not worth paying incremental dollars for them.

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I had working button holes made for my Isaia OTR blazer, and needed to use them today for a bedside consult (I'm a hand surgeon.) It was ballin'.
ffffuuuu.gif

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What I was getting at is that you are really questioning someone on SF for wanting to put button holes on RTW? While it is true that MTM/bespoke include working button holes into the price of the build, it's just as easy someone buying RTW can consider the $100+ alteration for the button holes into the overall price they are willing to spend on a suit. So it's not really a shocker, out of the ordinary or a dumb decision. That it is something that you don't think about later - again - are you kidding me? This is SF where everyone is OCD about the littlest of things.

But I do agree that working button holes can be over rated. I spent $180 on them on 3 Isaia sportcoats, and in retrospect, I could have easily saved that money for something else and now don't care one way or the other that they work. In fact, I got the buttons to slightly overlap, and now my preference has changed such taht I like my buttons to just slightly touch each other rather than overlap. Oh well....

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What I was getting at is that you are really questioning someone on SF for wanting to put button holes on RTW? While it is true that MTM/bespoke include working button holes into the price of the build, it's just as easy someone buying RTW can consider the $100+ alteration for the button holes into the overall price they are willing to spend on a suit. So it's not really a shocker, out of the ordinary or a dumb decision. That it is something that you don't think about later - again - are you kidding me? This is SF where everyone is OCD about the littlest of things.

But I do agree that working button holes can be over rated. I spent $180 on them on 3 Isaia sportcoats, and in retrospect, I could have easily saved that money for something else and now don't care one way or the other that they work. In fact, I got the buttons to slightly overlap, and now my preference has changed such taht I like my buttons to just slightly touch each other rather than overlap. Oh well....

My experience matches your experience. I was trying to get the OP to the place we are without him spending all the money - to get him to enlightenment without the meditation, as it were. I hope it's clearer for him.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads