• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Well, just went to check out alterations on my suit ... trainwreck

BlackShoes

Reaction score
Those button holes are horrific, you may as well walk around with your fists encased in aborted foetuses.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GBR
This looks dreadful but if you buy OTR why try to convert it to something it is not - your fault.

+1

Last Year's Man

Reaction score
It seems to me that the tailor has accepted the job without knowing how to do it.

Pretty unscrupulous in my book, there should be no shame in just saying "sorry, we don't know how to do that"

Icehawk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ter1413
+1

What's the problem with doing a bit extra to something just because it is OTR? The attitude here against anything that isn't at least MTM is really sad and elitist. If this exact suit had been MTM it would have be OK to have a surgeon's cuff added? Please.

The stitching looks like ****, I'd see if a better respected tailor can fix the sewing and either lengthen the sleeve or add a 5th button.

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by texas_jack
London Tailor on Wisconsin in Bethesda is great. He's a real bespoke tailor but who can do alterations as well.
I use London Tailor as well. Very pleased with his work. I've never done button holes, though. Everything else has come back fitting very nicely and his turn around time is terrific- usually a week, even for more complicated work like taking up arms at the shoulders or taking in the shoulders in one case. He speaks very little English, and his wife is only a little more fluent. Your clothes will come back smelling like Korean food. Perhaps you should have come here first before picking some unknown boutique that didn't even hold itself out as a men's tailoring shop.

mikej77

Reaction score
You could take it over to Fields on Wisconsin. I bring all of my suits to him. He can be a bit pricey but his work really comes out great every time.

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GBR
This looks dreadful but if you buy OTR why try to convert it to something it is not - your fault.

Why have buttons sewn on the sleeve at all if they don't work...
blush.gif

CYstyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
don't understand why people are against working buttonholes on a OTR suit. Many OTR higher end suits are made with the sleeves prepared for working buttonholes. It's exactly the same if you had a MTM done, you get 1 fitting sleeves shortened or lengthened if needed, if not then they put the working buttonholes in.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BlackShoes
Those button holes are horrific, you may as well walk around with your fists encased in aborted foetuses.

Come on, man...that is a bit extreme. Good lord.

For all of you blaming the OP for wanting working buttons on something OTR, I don't get it. So he wanted to add a personal touch to something that was not bespoke? If the sleeves were basted from the start, it really is no big deal. Stop being so damn rude.

Mike

Mudhiker

Reaction score
A cautionary tale, no doubt! I have an OTR suit without the buttons yet, but the sleeves are already the correct length. I got a price quote from a local woman who does alterations on prom dresses and such. I realize now that she isn't going to be able to do proper surgeon's cuffs... I might as well sew the buttons on myself. I know how to use a chalk pencil and a measuring tape.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CYstyle
don't understand why people are against working buttonholes on a OTR suit. Many OTR higher end suits are made with the sleeves prepared for working buttonholes. It's exactly the same if you had a MTM done, you get 1 fitting sleeves shortened or lengthened if needed, if not then they put the working buttonholes in.

I don't see what the return on the $80-100 for working buttonholes is. I get them done on MTM/bespoke because they're priced-in to the build; but why spend the price of a tie on something you'll never use or even think about?

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would be furious. Would not have left without a resolution.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BlackShoes
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
Even funnier is the idea that JeffreyD would hand-sew those buttonholes for $80. Plumbers charge $125 to come to your house and remove the hair from the trap under the sink. How much time do you think it takes to make one of those buttonholes? How many tailors in the world can make them like that? Regardless, it's incredibly naive to expect the world's greatest handsewn buttonholes for $80 an arm, from an alterations tailor. It's like hiring a house painter to do a portrait of your wife. And then you are going to sue him when the portrait looks amateurish?

EBugatti

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Very sorry to see what happened.

Unlike several on here that are snobbishly suggesting working button holes only belong on bespoke items, etc. and otherwise lambasting this poor chap, I would offer the following:

(A) Go see Fields or similar highly competent tailor and get an opinion on what could be done (might be too late at this point) and the cost involved.

(B) Provide cost to your original incompetent tailor saying this is what is costs to fix, and if she refuses, suggest you will consider legal options (small claims court), BBB, etc. Usually they'll start to deal at least if this is suggested mildly.

(C) I like to try out a new tailor with an inexpensive fix to see their competency level. Don't go in blind with a brand new (expensive) suit and a non-standard request like working cuffs.

(D) Lesson learned, my friend.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
lets get this straight. you paid 20 bucks for eight buttonholes?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads