WAYWRN: Classic Menswear, Casual Style

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by acecow, Jul 6, 2011.

1. acecow

acecow Senior member

This is so good, until I hit the shoes. I don't know why, but they match so closely to the sweater that it just bugs the hell out of me.

Last edited: May 8, 2012

2. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Affiliate Vendor

What, did we stop talking about my pants already? :D

3. Frankie22

Frankie22 Senior member

I love this look. Very nice.

4. kgmessier

kgmessier Senior member

I can see that. I think I was set on wearing that particular trou/boot combination on that day and built the rest of the outfit off that. Thanks for the suggestion.

5. itsmejson

itsmejson Senior member

what loafers are these?

6. ianGP

ianGP Senior member

7. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

Mr.K, that is a cool cardigan, is it a linen blend?

8. Mr.K

Mr.K Senior member

It is actually 100% linen. RL seems to have a couple styles in thew same color in 100% linen this year.

9. CDHagg

CDHagg Senior member

I'd appreciate some opinions regarding the pants stacking and the untucked shirt. This shirt really won't stay tucked in, so I thought that wearing pants with a little stacking might balance that out.

A cotton blazer would be better, I think, but wool is all I've got right now. I've also been searching for a good (but cheap) pair of double-monks, since I'm aware that these shoes are less than stellar.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

^ as you've pointed out the jacket is a little too "crisp" for this fit and the stacking is just not happening. get them properly hemmed and clean up the silhouette. I'm not against wearing untucked shirts per se but you need something more coherent going on. and you know about the shoes... but just one thing about shoes, they seem such an easy fix so just go get some eh??!!

11. JG000

JG000 Senior member

+1, great outfit otherwise though!

12. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

Sure, but this isn't a political forum or an ex-US military forum, it's a style forum. And style tends to both appropriate symbolism from other domains and also strip it of its original meanings and reuse it: sports shoes worn by people who have never played sports, chambray shirts worn by people who've never cut down a tree or ploughed a field, camo worn by people who've never been soldiers.

And, as I've also pointed out before here, militaries are part of this economy - themselves selling off their surplus gear to the civilian market. I could buy real military digital camo pants in my local army surplus shop if I wanted.

There's really not a lot of point in complaining about it in this environment - or at least you're going to spend a lot of your life being needlessly offended if you do.

13. furo

furo Senior member

I served in the very ACU pants in question, and all I can say is, that while I wouldn't wear them out of the house as a fashion statement, I still get use out of them when I go on fishing or hiking trips.

14. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

The only thing I use outside of work is poly pros for skiing, the new ones are really nice. I think there's a difference between wearing the pants you were issued as camping pants and chinos from Epaulet.

Right, this is a lot of typing you didn't have to do because I never said they're objectively bad, although they may be. I'm just saying that to me they look bad because of what they have meant in my life. I'll tell you that Marines are even more sensitive about their MARPAT to the point that they don't let any other branches near their license for the pattern. This is the last I'm going to post about the pants because people don't seem to understand what I'm saying.

15. CDHagg

CDHagg Senior member

In theory, that sounds good, but with my budget I rarely ever just "go out and buy something.". I usually like to do my research to figure out which brands would be best for me, and then troll the internet for a while until I find a good price. Of course, if you wear US 9 in shoes, I'd be more than happy to take a gently-used pair of derbies or double-monks off your hands. :D

EMartNJ, I get what you're saying. It's about respecting the uniform.