• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WillingToLearn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Beyond this particular fit, I like the idea of a jeans and SC thread, whether the collective "we" represented by this forum likes it or not, this is the way the world is headed - a more casual take on menswear. I am not advocating it, but it is there. Tie and jeans is tough, but I do believe SC and jeans can be done well.

I'm not sure what is the better route - a country tweed/ Donegal type SC cut in a Neapolitan style or a city colored checked SC also cut in a casual style. Either way, my current thinking is the jacket must be cut in a casual style and have good visual interest, either via texture or pattern.

CM's doesn't fit any of those parameters, but that isn't the point. I am still open to evolving my thinking on the topic, it's new territory.

thefoxtooth

Reaction score
Agree on most counts. The jeans and SC thing almost never works; a very few here have done it successfully over the years. The selection of jeans and jacket needs to be so specific to avoid looking off together, that it seems almost folly to try. Dad jeans and/or pressed or tailored-looking jeans increases the failure quotient when paired with a sport coat, IMO (actually, when paired with anything). I'll admit to being predisposed against this look, but will tip my cap when it's done well.

If we could only harness the energy people have spent trying to match these two clothing items, we could end global warming.

Why do we need to do this so badly? Why aren't there 40 million attempts at matching sport coats with work boots, or chinos with pinstripes, or evening wear with overalls? I understand the desire to dress things down a bit, but why the culture-wide obsession with this particular combination?

I mean, I've done it myself from time to time, but it's like the whole world is in an agony trying to make this work. It just doesn't work that well; put on some chinos or 5-pocket cords and go enjoy life.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If we could only harness the energy people have spent trying to match these two clothing items, we could end global warming.

Why do we need to do this so badly? Why aren't there 40 million attempts at matching sport coats with work boots, or chinos with pinstripes, or evening wear with overalls? I understand the desire to dress things down a bit, but why the culture-wide obsession with this particular combination?

I mean, I've done it myself from time to time, but it's like the whole world is in an agony trying to make this work. It just doesn't work that well; put on some chinos or 5-pocket cords and go enjoy life.
I think jeans and sport coats are two of the most heralded garments in the menswear worlds. I think when it comes to naming a favorite menswear piece most people's mind will either go to a suit or sport coat. On the casual side, jeans are an absolute favorite. I think people want these worlds to collide: casually formal and formally casual. The non-moronic oxymoron. It does work sometimes. Hopefully, we can come up with a metric in the new thread.

Jacobs

Reaction score
Cross post from the new thread.

In my social circle, a dress shirt tucked into jeans is "going out" dress. Typically each man owns one suit which is reserved exclusively for funerals. No odd trousers, though at least a few have a pair of chinos. No sport coats or blazers. To wear a sport coat and odd trousers, especially with a tie, is "odd". Understand, I enjoy being the best dressed man in the room. But if I'm with family and everyone else is in jeans or shorts and t shirts or polos, why step it up to the level of a SC and trousers? Why make family uncomfortable with how poorly they are dressed? With strangers, I have no problem with it, but with family, I do. A lot of times I'll throw on a sport coat with jeans so that I look "nice" rather than "dressed up". I understand it may be non-traditional, but it makes sense to me. So here goes, I'll throw my hat in the ring with a WAYWRN. Forgive the stripes being almost exactly the same size as the check on the coat and the jeans being pretty frumpy (losing weight), I didn't foresee this being a post.

View attachment 821574

View attachment 821575

View attachment 821576

Michael81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually do the jeans and SC thing fairly frequently. It's an easy way to 'dress up' in an informal setting. Which, in Finland, is pretty much every setting.

So, while I still think @Caustic Man's fit was a failure, I am enjoying the discussion which flowed from it. Just goes to show, a little controversy goes a long way. Thanks for posting.

Michael81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Posted in the new thread, but I'll post it here too for good measure. My take on a monochromatic jeans/jacket look.

1020528.jpg
1020531.jpg
1020535.jpg

Not for everybody, but I like it. I wear this exact configuration fairly often.

Last edited:

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm predisposed against dark monochrome looks. It's too "fashion poof" IMO. But the jacket buttons make it much less appealing. At first I thought they were brass buttons but they look like beige horn or something. Also, ties and denim do not mix. Maybe that's a Nordic thing, though.

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I would say that saying that what someone wears is a success or failure is peculiar. You can say it looks good or bad, but what is it succeeding or failing at? In order to say something is a failure you have to assume that it was trying to succeed at something definable and agreed upon. I don't think it was a failure because I wore it all day, felt good in it, and would do it again. If it failed at anything it was garnering wide support in SF. It's nice when people say they like what you're wearing but that's not why we post.

Michael81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm predisposed against dark monochrome looks. It's too "fashion poof" IMO. But the jacket buttons make it much less appealing. At first I thought they were brass buttons but they look like beige horn or something. Also, ties and denim do not mix. Maybe that's a Nordic thing, though.

I posted the fit with the expectation that most SFers would have a similar reaction to yours. I'm not sure I would call it a "fashion poof" look, though. In a way it's the exact opposite of that - as far as I can tell it's not especially fashionable. I think the buttons are just fine. I'm obviously not against the idea of wearing ties with jeans, although I do have caveats: no smooth silk or neats. I can't really speak for the entire Nordic region; I just wear what I like.

I would say that saying that what someone wears is a success or failure is peculiar. You can say it looks good or bad, but what is it succeeding or failing at? In order to say something is a failure you have to assume that it was trying to succeed at something definable and agreed upon. I don't think it was a failure because I wore it all day, felt good in it, and would do it again. If it failed at anything it was garnering wide support in SF. It's nice when people say they like what you're wearing but that's not why we post.

Perhaps 'failure' was the wrong word. Let's just say I thought the jacket ill-fitting and the untucked shirt sloppy. It's not something I would wear. But that, as you say, is completely besides the point. If you felt good in it, then mission accomplished.

Cotton Dockers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think @Caustic Man 's fit would have been great with a more casual jacket like an M65/Bomber/A-1 or, like someone mentioned, an EG bedford or one of many similar pieces. The mini-floral shirt is great, but to me it seemed like the hard lines of jacket is at odds with the loucheness of the flower shirt/jeans combo. Fit on the jacket was spot on and I think it might have worked better for me with a white OCBD or something.

Similarly, everything in @Michael81 's fit looks great, but it feels like two different outfits crammed together. Jeans and suede monks - delightful! But why pair that with a navy blazer/tie/pocket square? Seems like if the occasion called for a grenadine and a square, jeans would not be the right choice (and vice versa).

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Similarly, everything in @Michael81 's fit looks great, but it feels like two different outfits crammed together. Jeans and suede monks - delightful! But why pair that with a navy blazer/tie/pocket square? Seems like if the occasion called for a grenadine and a square, jeans would not be the right choice (and vice versa).

You've just perfectly outlined the problem CD. I did a post on my blog about it a couple of months ago. Pulling the jeans and a sports jacket combo off successfully comes with a high degree of difficulty as you have to avoid either the Jeremy Clarkson sloppy mess or the sartorial mullet of too formal up top and too casual down below.

Assuming we are using dark to indigo jeans the top has to be casual enough to match that level of (in)formality. Adding a tie and PS further increases that degree of difficulty. A donegal or herringbone jacket in the winter, or a wool hopsack, textured linen or cotton in the summer, can make it work.

AAS those pleated, creased and cuffed jeans are an abomination and should disqualify you from having anything to do with this topic!
:fence::colgate:

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You've just perfectly outlined the problem CD. I did a post on my blog about it a couple of months ago. Pulling the jeans and a sports jacket combo off successfully comes with a high degree of difficulty as you have to avoid either the Jeremy Clarkson sloppy mess or the sartorial mullet of too formal up top and too casual down below.

Assuming we are using dark to indigo jeans the top has to be casual enough to match that level of (in)formality. Adding a tie and PS further increases that degree of difficulty. A donegal or herringbone jacket in the winter, or a wool hopsack, textured linen or cotton in the summer, can make it work.

AAS those pleated, creased and cuffed jeans are an abomination and should disqualify you from having anything to do with this topic!
:fence::colgate:
I still love them. I'm looking for a more fetching pair at the moment. Leaning toward 501s. Apparently, CM just bought a pair of Wranglers.

Michael81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your insights, @Cotton Dockers and @Thin White Duke. In retrospect, I think the biggest problem with the fit is the jacket. The shade of blue and texture is a little in-congruent with everything else. As I mentioned over at the new Jeans and Sport Coats thread, I have a winter jacket in a slightly lighter shade of blue with a herringbone weave which would probably be more harmonious in a fit like this.

I'm obviously in a minority, but I still think certain ties and squares can work well when paired with jeans. These ones work pretty nicely together in my opinion.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads