• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Epaulet Cardigan and Heavyweight stone Rivet Chinos with Ercoles shirt and BB Cashmere Tie. Overcoat vintage T&A and I'll be posting it up for sale shortly to help finance my new coat from Ercoles. PM me i you want to make a serious offer.
42db1d72.jpg

dd216660.jpg

fe66e516.jpg

710448af.jpg

IrateCustomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Solid as hell.

That first pic...the jacket looks kind of feminine for some reason. It appears to have a flared skirt. I love the pattern, and in the second pic it looks great. That first image is throwing me off badly though.

TauKappaEpsilon

Reaction score
After all the comments about my jeans, I was able to successfully shrink them before bringing them to the tailor. They might still be a little long but I'll give it a few days. What do you all think? (don't mind the boat shoes, Im just wearing them around the house)
Before:

After:

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
so TKE has taken to headless shots b/c of the continual assault on his haircut??!! :nodding: no offense TKE but I hope it grows quickly!

CodPiece

Reaction score
Holdfast, you always look so genuinely happy, you must be a wonderful neighbor!
Tau, the second look is really a good one for you, minus the white socks. You might want to try a medium ivy league cut, it would look good on you and grow out neatly.

TauKappaEpsilon

Reaction score
so TKE has taken to headless shots b/c of the continual assault on his haircut??!!
nod[1].gif
no offense TKE but I hope it grows quickly!

LOL. I know how SF works and I'm going to be scared away by the criticism about my hair (yet). The only reason I sometimes post photos without my head is so I can get an honest opinion of strictly what I'm posting and not my hair.

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

kickstart

Reaction score
NewYorkRanger - I can't even begin to tell you how much better you look without the beard man. This has transformed your look man! Love it.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Solid as hell.
That first pic...the jacket looks kind of feminine for some reason. It appears to have a flared skirt. I love the pattern, and in the second pic it looks great. That first image is throwing me off badly though.

Thanks, and for the coatI don't mind the flare in it, its actually meant to have it.

Solid. I really need to pick up some of those rivets from Epaulet.

They're like potato chips though, so be careful.

NewYorkRanger - I can't even begin to tell you how much better you look without the beard man. This has transformed your look man! Love it.

Thanks man. I def wasn't growing the beard cause I thought it looked nice...lol. In my profession, the appearance of occasional insanity is pretty helpful, especially if you lack real insanity.

Last edited:

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Thanks, and for the coatI don't mind the flare in it, its actually meant to have it.
They're like potato chips though, so be careful.
Thanks man. I def wasn't growing the beard cause I thought it looked nice...lol. In my profession, the appearance of occasional insanity is pretty helpful, especially if you lack real insanity.

You should defend the flare, there is nothing wrong with it, in fact many men's coat's traditionally had a bit more flare (and indeed, flair) than is common today. It isn't 'feminine', it does however, have a touch of the dandy about it. So much the better.

I agree on the beard BTW. I guess it's at least partly because of the length (and lack of) hair. When I get my hair cut very short, I always cut my beard right down too. There are very few people who seem to be able to carry off a bigger beard, especally one that has a largely sideways orientation, and very short hair on top. It's no general rule, it just seems to look wrong on some people and not on others. I think you look much better with a shorter beard, and it brings back the attention to the way you dress - which is generally excellent.

Last edited:

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Epaulet Cardigan and Heavyweight stone Rivet Chinos with Ercoles shirt and BB Cashmere Tie. Overcoat vintage T&A and I'll be posting it up for sale shortly to help finance my new coat from Ercoles. PM me i you want to make a serious offer.

Great look. As for financing your new coat, I believe human hair fetches a decent price; you should have saved all the beard hair! :p

Holdfast, you always look so genuinely happy, you must be a wonderful neighbor!

I never used to smile so much, esp. in photos; I think it started when I switched to being self-employed and so got my life back. :)

I'll be sure to inform my neighbours of their good fortune, and suggest that they pay me regular tribute in return.

Doesn't look like that scarf belongs with that jacket, maybe something houndstooth or herringbone? I want to use the word dainty but delicate may suffice. The jacket is awesome though.

Coincidentally enough, I jokingly called myself a delicate flower while I was out because it was so cold and I was complaining about it so much. I guess that means you have a point!

I normally do wear a brown/cream herringbone with that look, but I just fancied the sky blue scarf yesterday. And today too, where it's even more out of place, colour-wise...

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Another benefit is that it avoids visually cutting the body in half.

Yet another is that it takes attention away from the waist and hips and hence slims them, making the shoulders seem wider. Honestly open quarters, or cutaway fronts (whatever you want to call it), is one of the most effective techniques to flatter the figure. 90% of the jackets you see ride on the stomach and have closed fronts, which make even the skinniest or well-built dude look like an emasculated lardo. There's a reason the morning coat, with the most cutaway skirt of them all, was seen as the height of flattering formality.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads