• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ianGP

Reaction score
thx for the input guys

Cardigan is by Jack Spade - it's got a waffle-knit texture to it....not sure what year though, got it on ebay :slayer:

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score

^^ :rotflmao:
Final day of vacation then back to work tomorrow :(
Brown1.jpg

w/ scarf (couldn't decide at first but eventually went with it):
Brown2.jpg

Brown3.jpg

Brown6.jpg

Brown7.jpg

Henley: W+H
Cardigan: Jack Spade
Scarf: Panta
Jeans: Borrelli
Overcoat: Borrelli
Shoes: Sutor Mantellassi
Watch: Yachtmaster

This post should be titled "SF Dressed Me in the Dark."

I guess I should elaborate a bit. The scarf under the cardigan but over an unbuttoned henley is... like three different SF memes jammed into one that doesn't work or harmonize. Then you have a jacket on all of that, but everything is open and it looks like you're either going to be really hot or really cold, but not comfortable.

Last edited:

Tano

Reaction score

thx for the input guys

Cardigan is by Jack Spade - it's got a waffle-knit texture to it....not sure what year though, got it on ebay :slayer:

Do you have the exact style description of that cardigan? I can't find it anywhere online

ianGP

Reaction score
@Tano - when I get home later, I'll see if I can find some distinguishable tags and PM you.

@Moo - thanks for elaborating, I definitely see where you're coming from and I've never thought of it that way. Although when I walk outside the scarf is wrapped around my neck and the cardigan is buttoned up, I do walk indoors to shops like that.

It's just a hassle taking it off and putting it back on if I'm only there for a couple minutes. When the pics were taken, I figured I'd have it all open to show the other stuff - but now, I'll also be mindful of what it conveys.

ethanm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Broham, please take those jeans to a tailor. Rolled up with no break is not a good look.

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ A closed quarters jacket, no socks, and loafers, too. That one had no chance of success. Tau, take a good long look at the way NOBD does it.

TauKappaEpsilon

Reaction score
^ A closed quarters jacket, no socks, and loafers, too. That one had no chance of success. Tau, take a good long look at the way NOBD does it.

Thanks for sticking with me while I continue to make mistakes (but learn from them). I see the loafers sans socks is to casual, especially for the winter, but does the jacket at least work as a blazer? What does "closed quarters" mean?

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score

^ A closed quarters jacket, no socks, and loafers, too. That one had no chance of success.

I have pulled off those three things at once many a time. What all those things don't work with is the jeans. If he were wearing a proper pair of trousers then the combo would be way easier to pull off.

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quarters refers to the bottom front of your jacket, although perhaps only on the forums.

Like me you are pretty slim, you might find two button jackets, or at least jackets where there lapel rolls further down than on that one (three-role-twos etc) are more flattering. The jacket also looks a little too suit-ey to go with that casual look. You need a more casual fabric and cut with jeans, in my view.

Last edited:

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have pulled off those three things at once many a time. What all those things don't work with is the jeans. If he were wearing a proper pair of trousers then the combo would be way easier to pull off.

That sounds right to me- I was working the idea he really wanted the jeans in the outfit.

The kind of casual classic tailored mens wear of the loafer and closed quartered, flapped pocket jacket just isn't going to work with jeans and cuffs rolled up hick-style.

If he's going to keep the jeans, he needs to get them hemmed, get socks, probably replace the jacket (open quarters, patch pockets thicker fabric), get a blue shirt...

If he's going to keep the jacket, he needs to find a pair of trousers to work. I don't actually have a vision for what would work, so... gray flannels maybe. Something from Gant Michael Bastian?

ysc said:
Quarters refers to the bottom front of your jacket, although perhaps only on the forums.
Guilty; probably just a net-term, since the tailors here claim no knowledge of the term. Still, what else are we supposed to call them?

Hang in there, Tau.

Last edited:

E TF

Reaction score

Guilty; probably just a net-term, since the tailors here claim no knowledge of the term. Still, what else are we supposed to call them?
Hang in there, Tau.

Isn't the technical term "fronts"? I might be wrong.

Tau - compare this jacket with the last one you posted in this thread. The previous one works much better with jeans and looks better generally because, amongst other things, the "quarters" open gently, reflecting the "v" of shirt between your lapels above them. This latest doesn't do that at all.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I believe many tailors refer to them as the "fronts" or "lower fronts". YMMV...

TauKappaEpsilon

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I understand that jacket doesn't work with jeans, next time I'll wear chinos or some kind of wool trousers. The real question I have is, what color trousers and shirts would this jacket work with? Its an olive with a very slightly hint of light blue.

I think I could wear the jacket with navy trousers and a white shirt easily. What other color pants could I wear the jacket with? I have navy, tan, white, black, and grey (in wool and in chino material),

Again, thanks everyone.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads