WAYWRN: Classic Menswear, Casual Style

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by acecow, Jul 6, 2011.

1. ianGP

ianGP Senior member

thx for the input guys

Cardigan is by Jack Spade - it's got a waffle-knit texture to it....not sure what year though, got it on ebay :slayer:

2. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Boxercise Toughguy

This post should be titled "SF Dressed Me in the Dark."

I guess I should elaborate a bit. The scarf under the cardigan but over an unbuttoned henley is... like three different SF memes jammed into one that doesn't work or harmonize. Then you have a jacket on all of that, but everything is open and it looks like you're either going to be really hot or really cold, but not comfortable.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2012

3. Tano

Tano Senior member

Do you have the exact style description of that cardigan? I can't find it anywhere online

4. ianGP

ianGP Senior member

@Tano - when I get home later, I'll see if I can find some distinguishable tags and PM you.

@Moo - thanks for elaborating, I definitely see where you're coming from and I've never thought of it that way. Although when I walk outside the scarf is wrapped around my neck and the cardigan is buttoned up, I do walk indoors to shops like that.

It's just a hassle taking it off and putting it back on if I'm only there for a couple minutes. When the pics were taken, I figured I'd have it all open to show the other stuff - but now, I'll also be mindful of what it conveys.

5. Thrifter

Thrifter Senior member

This looks really relaxed. Very good. The rest of the shots are overdone.

6. TauKappaEpsilon

TauKappaEpsilon Senior member

Custom blazer
    RL shirt
    APC NS jeans
    RL suede loafers

[​IMG]

7. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

Broham, please take those jeans to a tailor. Rolled up with no break is not a good look.

8. james_timothy

james_timothy Senior member

^ A closed quarters jacket, no socks, and loafers, too. That one had no chance of success. Tau, take a good long look at the way NOBD does it.

9. TauKappaEpsilon

Thanks for sticking with me while I continue to make mistakes (but learn from them). I see the loafers sans socks is to casual, especially for the winter, but does the jacket at least work as a blazer? What does "closed quarters" mean?

10. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Cyber Eliitist

I have pulled off those three things at once many a time. What all those things don't work with is the jeans. If he were wearing a proper pair of trousers then the combo would be way easier to pull off.

11. ysc

ysc Senior member

Quarters refers to the bottom front of your jacket, although perhaps only on the forums.

Like me you are pretty slim, you might find two button jackets, or at least jackets where there lapel rolls further down than on that one (three-role-twos etc) are more flattering. The jacket also looks a little too suit-ey to go with that casual look. You need a more casual fabric and cut with jeans, in my view.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2012

12. james_timothy

james_timothy Senior member

That sounds right to me- I was working the idea he really wanted the jeans in the outfit.

The kind of casual classic tailored mens wear of the loafer and closed quartered, flapped pocket jacket just isn't going to work with jeans and cuffs rolled up hick-style.

If he's going to keep the jeans, he needs to get them hemmed, get socks, probably replace the jacket (open quarters, patch pockets thicker fabric), get a blue shirt...

If he's going to keep the jacket, he needs to find a pair of trousers to work. I don't actually have a vision for what would work, so... gray flannels maybe. Something from Gant Michael Bastian?

Guilty; probably just a net-term, since the tailors here claim no knowledge of the term. Still, what else are we supposed to call them?

Hang in there, Tau.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2012

13. E TF

E TF Senior member

Isn't the technical term "fronts"? I might be wrong.

Tau - compare this jacket with the last one you posted in this thread. The previous one works much better with jeans and looks better generally because, amongst other things, the "quarters" open gently, reflecting the "v" of shirt between your lapels above them. This latest doesn't do that at all.

14. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

I believe many tailors refer to them as the "fronts" or "lower fronts". YMMV...

15. TauKappaEpsilon

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I understand that jacket doesn't work with jeans, next time I'll wear chinos or some kind of wool trousers. The real question I have is, what color trousers and shirts would this jacket work with? Its an olive with a very slightly hint of light blue.

I think I could wear the jacket with navy trousers and a white shirt easily. What other color pants could I wear the jacket with? I have navy, tan, white, black, and grey (in wool and in chino material),

Again, thanks everyone.