• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Only thing I can think that might work is a pair of white trousers in a heavier linen. Otherwise seems impossible.

I've considered that as an option - or at least, I was thinking like a cream open-weave and crispy wool. But linen could be good too. Too naval though?

Axelman 17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Blue underneath is too bright for the evening thing I'm going for. Something in the cream/buff range could be OK though I think. Maybe an attempt to reinterpret this guy.

Except for black tie, I guess I am less fussy about evening wear vs. day wear. If I am going out to a gathering that calls for a sportcoat, I will just wear whatever sportcoat I like. I suspect others here feel differently.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yes but you know this already.

At the end of the day I think you are over thinking this thing. Buy the suit, wear it and be done with it. If you want a nice pair of cream odd trousers build something else around it.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm not anti experimenting when it comes to mens clothes but as long as I've been around, "experimenting" with black tie/evening suits usually leads to disaster. A black, peak lapel jacket really has no place in anything other than an evening/dinner suit.

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Buy the suit, wear it and be done with it.

In the end this might be the best advice. What I'll probably do is just get the suit and wait on the trousers, maybe sometimes wear some trousers I already have or try it out with some RTW trousers in the store and see if anything grabs me or gives me inspiration to have something else made up.

bboysdontcryy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My friend, you will be surprised how much lightweight LP and Zegna are praised in our region. If tailor makes clothes that are too durable, they will ended up very little business. Nowadays, even for myself if things deteriorate after 2 years wearing I am pretty happy with it. Sometimes, the Italian lightweights do make up well and look nice and drapey.

I'm not sure which I care more about: A) Whether people who don't know much about cloth praise a 6.5 oz to 7 oz cloth because it's made by Zegna or LP that are reputable names because they have a successful marketing team, or B) People, who read up extensively, and yet still choose reputable English fabrics that are 9.5 oz and above even though they're harder to procure, and the merchants and mills don't really bother to market themselves well. Even Zegna and LP are hardly used in Italy by most reputable tailors (am guessing). But, to each his own :)

Tailors prefer working with heavier cloths. Heavier cloth suits the bespoke process and is easier to tailor.

Lightweight cloth are more difficult to get right to boot.

Last edited:

Lovelace

Reaction score

This preference is universal among English tailors, but not necessarily elsewhere. Italians are less likely to grumble about lighter cloth (but I'm talking about lighter being 8-9 ounces here, not this 5 oz stuff).

Italian tailors were better at tailoring lightweight cloths true, but that gap has narrowed ,now that more English customers request them from their tailors. A 7oz cloth requires a different approach than a 14oz.. Italian tailors were used to tailoring it, English tailors weren't. Skill requires exposure.

Most tailors, including Italians prefer to work with heavier, English cloths in my experience.

Last edited:

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm not sure which I care more about: A) Whether people who don't know much about cloth praise a 6.5 oz to 7 oz cloth because it's made by Zegna or LP that are reputable names because they have a successful marketing team, or B) whether these people shun the heavier cloths that are 9.5 oz and above because English fabrics are harder to procure, and the merchants and mills don't really bother to market themselves well. Even Zegna and LP are hardly used in Italy by most reputable tailors (am guessing). But, to each his own :)

The point I want to stress is there are always people who prefer very light cloth and brand names, regardless to his needs and durability. Neither myself care about the above propositions. How is your cloth game going?

Most tailors, including Italians prefer to work with heavier, English cloths in my experience.

Can't agreed more.

Last edited:

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear my lighter than Navy Tonik as a suit. Wearing the coat as an odd jacket works in the pinch but is not optimal. It doesn't look quite right as an odd jacket.

bboysdontcryy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The point I want to stress is there are always people who prefer very light cloth and brand names, regardless to his needs and durability. Neither myself care about the above propositions. How is your cloth game going?
Can't agreed more.

You're right that a segment of society will always choose brand names, lighter weight stuff etc.

They key as to whether their advice is worth heeding, in my opinion, is who these people disbursing advice are :)

Last edited:

bboysdontcryy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I agree.

I don't see Mohair as odd jacket material.
I wear my lighter than Navy Tonik as a suit. Wearing the coat as an odd jacket works in the pinch but is not optimal. It doesn't look quite right as an odd jacket.

This mohair below?

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

unbel, you are beginning to worry me. You started off as a normal poster but I think you are slowly heading into the #menswear Matrix.

Pitti exposure is radioactive, ya know?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads