Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Feb 10, 2008.

1. whnay.

whnay. Senior member Dubiously Honored

I don't know, doesn't seem versatile enough. Single button peak should be reserved for a tux or dinner suit. If you go with dark gray it becomes a nightmare for pairing with trousers.

2. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

It's not really intended to be that versatile - it's not for business and the like. As a suit, it's basically for evening weddings that don't require black tie, nice restaurants, etc..

The jacket as a separate I hope to be more versatile, again as something to be worn in evening social settings. I agree with dark gray trousers it's difficult to get enough contrast - but I'm hoping to find something successful so as not to resort to the lighter colored trousers that I associate less with evening.

3. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

I am down on single peak (this is a conversion of sorts from a prior opinion) and WAY down on single peak as an odd jacket (always held this opinion), and way, way, WAY down on gray odd jackets (ditto).

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  4. unbelragazzo

It's an odd odd jacket, I'll grant. But for some reason I've always had an affinity for it on linen (I doubt you approve at all), and I like peaks for anything that's primarily worn at night. Or shawl, but that's really limiting.

5. unbelragazzo

I have a SBPL odd jacket of the LL oats linen that I should be picking up in a few days...I will post a pic so that you can inveigh against it.

6. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

I don't care for peaks at all on odd jackets but find them OK on sporty suits, when done with restraint. And we've established my opinion on gray odd jackets.

7. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

I have a couple SBPL sportcoats, including in linen, from the Avery Lucas days. That should tell you something--it is a very 1930s Apparel Arts look.

8. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

+1

9. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

it's one thing to have a gray odd jacket in herringbone or something but a dark gray shiny mohair?

No.

10. unbelragazzo

To be clear - the suit (and therefore the jacket also) would be a kind of midnight blue with some lighter blue threads woven in, not gray. Gray was a potential idea for the odd trousers to go with the jacket when worn separately. It's the fabric on top here for the suit:

http://cdn.styleforum.net/1/11/115a83c3_photo-1_zpsc56b3e87.jpeg

11. unbelragazzo

Calm down, everyone, the jacket would not be gray! (looking back at my original post I realize this was not clear at all, sorry)

12. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

I have a three piece suit on the way in that (or something very much like it). Coat is one-button, but notch lapels.

13. unbelragazzo

I've considered making it a three-piece too after seeing ethandesu's makeup, which looks great. But I don't know how much I'd wear the vest, given that I'll wear this mostly in the summer, when it will be hot as blazes.

14. unbelragazzo

Oh, and btw...I had promised to report back after looking at the Dormeuil 'Naturals' book - some nice stuff in there, but a lot of it is very shiny, and very lightweight (like down to 6.5 oz for some fabrics). The silk/linen 8 oz blends looked nice, I'm kind of considering it for an odd trouser. Here's a pic of the Tonik next to some of the silk/linens (obviously these are the lighter shade options):

[​IMG]

15. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

Stay tuned folks, I had purchase some heavy weight flannels, one in 450g and 510g. Also a length of dark grey chalkstripe in 12-13oz, the cheapest business suiting length I have brought in my life.