• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

hst

Reaction score
8/9 oz for me. I live and travel mainly to countries with a tropical climate. A lighter travel suit or jacket makes a lot of sense for my circumstances.

Last edited:

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'd prefer the 10/11 oz.

Slickman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it would be more constructive to explain why you prefer the stated weight, I understand its only 1-2oz difference, but if we're going to go through the trouble, we might as well do it right

Does the 10-11oz provide no significant "drape" benefits and only cause the wearer to feel hotter or is the 8-9oz not substantial enough?

Axelman 17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I cant commit to the cloth, at least until I see it. Likely too close to a Lesser AFB I already have.

That said, I have both 8/9oz high twist fresco (0505) and 9/10oz 2-ply (0511). The 8/9oz high twist is very lightweight, truly a summer cloth. The 9/10oz really feels to me like a year round weight, with a scratchy texture, weave is far less open. I was surprised that there was such a big difference between the two but there was, at least for me.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The difference is pretty big. I have been wearing my 10-11oz up until a few days ago when it got very cold. I would much rather have a fresco in a much lighter more open weight to be more practical in the summer as personally I am only going to start getting very heavy stuff for autumn/winter.

Last edited:

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Update on the custom runs; selecting a shade of blue from samples to replace black in fresco 0510,

If you start w/ the 0510

and replace the black w/ Airforce blue, you're going to end up with a very light cloth.

NTTAWWT but a bit harder to wear than if you sub-ed AFB in for the white and navy in for the black.

Nailhead fresco is possible and under consideration to be done after the AFB POW, grey shade will be either 0500 or 0501

I think 0500

rather than 0501

is the right choice for the light part of the nailhead. With 0501, it'll be too dark, especially for a warmer weather cloth.

Another idea - and not coincidentally one that I'd be more interested in - is a nailhead with Airforce and Navy blues.

Last edited:

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Keep in mind fellas that those pics are MUCH darker than the cloths look IRL 500 is a very pale gray and 501 -- which I own--looks the pic of 500 above.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Keep in mind fellas that those pics are MUCH darker than the cloths look IRL 500 is a very pale gray and 501 -- which I own--looks the pic of 500 above.

+1 to this - the 501 is a light grey to begin with.

Slickman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you start w/ the 0510

and replace the black w/ Airforce blue, you're going to end up with a very light cloth.
NTTAWWT but a bit harder to wear than if you sub-ed AFB in for the white and navy in for the black.

Light/Mid Grey will be subbed for white, and AFB for the black, overcheck removed, the shade will resemble roger thornhill's suit in NBNW, perhaps a bit lighter like so:

I agree that fresco 501 is much lighter IRL, and will probably go with that shade for the nailhead

I'm leaning toward the 10/11 for the first run, 8/9 for the second, are there any major objections to this?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads