1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Feb 10, 2008.

1. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

I agree. I just find that the Fimmeresco is most like a traditional worsted in terms of the cloths that are described as Fresco-ish. Crispaire is also quite similar.

2. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

Finnmeresco is more fresco-ey than Crispaire, which looks and feels no different than most tropicals.

3. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

You're probably right. I haven't looked at the Crispaire book in years, likely for that reason.

4. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

The Piuma update is really interesting. Slew - do you know if it's going to have the spongy qualities of Brisa? I didn't seem to read that in the thread.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2013
  5. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Senior member

Crispaire is definitely a lot smoother than all the other frescos but I'd never confuse it for a worsted. People who don't know / care about these sorts of things have called it burlap unprompted.

6. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

Last edited: Apr 30, 2013
  7. tchoy

tchoy Senior member

That actually is my suit in the second photo. The Brisa is more grey than blue.

Alden mentioned both cloths are very similar and the photo of the Piuma swatch is more blue than reality.

1 person likes this.
  8. badsha

badsha Senior member

Manton Finnmeresco by Smiths feels like tropical wool? Any suggestions for a Navy odd jacket in Hopsack? Thank you.

9. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

Good question! My gut tells me it will be very similar, but we'll see. Just posted on the Piuma thread on LL asking as much.

10. wetnose

wetnose Senior member

11. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

I have never tried their super fabrics. However, I can ascertain that their arthur harrison and all wool worsted (360g) are very good, if you like if you like a clean finish.

12. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

Use Smith's Fresco for any odd jackets, their finish is weave is 'rougher' than the typical tropical worsted.

Both are mutually exclusive, I find the Fresco range was intended to be a causal suiting fabric. Even tropical worsted was more formal and intended for business usage.

13. etkl

etkl Senior member

They are different companies. A Harrison is owned by Bulmer Lumb, the same company that owns Taylor & Lodge. It gets especially confusing given that Harrisons of Edinburgh is a third distinct company with the Harrison name.

1 person likes this.
  14. tchoy

tchoy Senior member

I thought I'll this here since we have been discussing the Piuma.

LL Brisa in POW bespoke, Ascot chang, Vanda tie, Drakes PS, Saint Crispins

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  15. Liquidus

Liquidus Senior member

Nice fit. Would that be considered a "nipped waist"?

Last edited: May 1, 2013
  16. Eustace Tilley

Eustace Tilley Senior member

tchoy,

Looks great. Would you say the color of the RAF POW is represented accurately by your photo? Alden seemed to suggest it's bluer irl.

17. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

Yep, you are very correct. I have asked them about their Arthur Harrison flannels. It is not from their own production (Harrison B), nor it is from Harrison of Edinburgh.

I don't know which part of my word entails Harrison Burley is the same company as Harrison of Edinburgh, clearly their respective prices reflect the truth.

Still, they are very good fabrics and it will be your loss because of their 'silly' name.

Last edited: May 1, 2013
  18. tchoy

tchoy Senior member

Thanks! Not sure if it's called a nip waist. My tailor have a tendency to cut more of a English silhouette.

Thanks! The image is pretty true to the colour. It's a melange of grey and blue with grey being the base colour and the plaids in blue.

19. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

Agreed that this is pretty true to the in-real-life color.

20. Slickman

Slickman Senior member

I hope that is true of the piuma, the test malden posted a picture of on LL is very blue, not grey at all