• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Can you please elaborate more on the extended shoulders? Trying to understand exactly what it is and how it is achieved.
thanks.

Just feel your shoulder inside the jacket. If it's flush against the top of the sleeve, that's a fitted shoulder. If the top of the coat extends out a hair (a fraction of an inch) past the natural shoulder line, it's extended.
Extended shoulder lines are common on draped coats and also are used to give very narrow shouldered and shallow chested guys an appearance of solidity.

Here's a sample comparison from my closet. Left is a fitted shoulder, right is an extended shoulder. Both fit, but the coats have different silhouettes / styles

whichyoulike.jpg

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for clarification. I guess what I was trying to understand is at what point the shoulder would be considered too big. Can you, let's say, extend the shoulder by quarter of an inch and still insure that the jacket fits reasonably well?When is shoulder extension too much?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Paging mafoofan for discussion of divots !

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

At this point, what's the difference between a polo coat and an ulster coat? At the very least it seems like many overcoats could be described as both?

This photo was the profile I used to make a Polo a few years ago. Very broad peaks, framed pockets with flaps, cuffs on sleeves, changed to 3X3 on the buttons, not 4X4. What you guys haven't mentioned is the split sleeve. The sleeve has an overlapped seam that meets with the shoulder seam of the coat.

IIRC the back had a kick pleat rather than a plain vent and don't recall if the belt was loose or sewn down. I think loose. Can't remember what else we did on the back. Overall the coat was very full.

bboysdontcryy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for clarification. I guess what I was trying to understand is at what point the shoulder would be considered too big. Can you, let's say, extend the shoulder by quarter of an inch and still insure that the jacket fits reasonably well?When is shoulder extension too much?

Need some answers to this as well.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
How wide is too wide is arbitrary. You have to consider the overall proportion of shoulder to chest to waist to hip. Add to the mix your tolerance for styling and how the shoulder width works to balance out your overall proportions. Like Manton said, some benefit from an extended shoulder and others not so much.

scruff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I ordered the 520 as a three patch sport coat. Wondering if I should have gone w/ a suit, but I rarely wear suits. Could show it to you when it arrives w/in a few weeks, D.

You'll get a ton of mileage out of it in/around SF. I wear just the jacket more often than as the full suit.

Here it is (from when I first had it made up by Ercole's last year) -

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Can anyone ID this fabric? It seems somewhat similar to a pattern in Hardy's Worsted Alsport, but with a blue stripe instead of red.

Last edited:

badsha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I ordered the 520 as a three patch sport coat. Wondering if I should have gone w/ a suit, but I rarely wear suits. Could show it to you when it arrives w/in a few weeks, D.

You'll get a ton of mileage out of it in/around SF. I wear just the jacket more often than as the full suit.
Here it is (from when I first had it made up by Ercole's last year) -

Minnis Fresco 0520? :inlove:

inlandisland

Reaction score

Can anyone ID this fabric? It seems somewhat similar to a pattern in Hardy's Worsted Alsport, but with a blue stripe instead of red.

I have something sort of similar in my basement that I'd like to have made into a jacket eventually, mabe a touch more golden overall, and the check that looks almost black on your picture is green... how true is the colour of that picture? I got it from a wholesaler and the only info that could be provided was that it was 100% wool and Italian, which I don't know is true. I would be interested to know as well.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Who is this coat made by? I think that's a P on the tag, is that Panico?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It's by Cesare Palermo, the former right hand man of Vincenzo Attolini when they were both at Rubinacci. I have some photos of his workshop, and have been meaning to write an article for StyleForum's blog (actually have a couple article I owe to Fok), but have been too busy lately do a proper piece. The stuff I saw in his workshop, however, was really remarkable. If I were to be able to go to Naples on a more consistent basis, he'd be the first tailor I'd go to.

And no, he doesn't travel, or have a website. I honestly don't even know if he has a telephone.

As for inlandisland's question of whether those colors are true to life, I don't know. It's been too long for me to remember that specific jacket in such detail. I like how the color is in the photo, however, and am considering getting something like it for myself.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads