1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Feb 10, 2008.

1. bboysdontcryy

bboysdontcryy Senior member

?!!?!?! What?! Lol.

If you think people who are advocating the use of LP and Zegna cloth that are 6.5 oz to 7 oz. are worth emulating. Please, by all means, make them up. Nobody insists otherwise.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  2. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

Nvm.

1 person likes this.
  3. Lovelace

Lovelace Senior member

Tell me about your Velvet number?

4. whnay.

whnay. Senior member Dubiously Honored

I just read unbel's blog and it annoyed me

5. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Senior member

# would be better than where this is going

People run into enough trouble drawing inspiration from AA.

Remixing this
    [​IMG]

can't possibly end well.

6. whnay.

Can you imagine if someone came up to you at a party and asked about your get up and you said it was inspired by George Bryan "Beau" Brummell ... the dandy who died penniless and insane from syphilis

I mean WTF

7. bboysdontcryy

I don't know about Unbel's project of having this made up as part of his black-tie casual project, nor do I endorse it, being a traditionalist.

But for what's it's worth -- I do think that if this cloth (the one above) has the appropriate buttons, and styling, it can be worn as an odd coat/blazer. One'd, generally, not have a mohair fabric made up as an odd coat. But, this, is really quite unlike most mohair numbers, I didn't find it super shiny -- unsurprising, given it's 70% wool -- or suity in real life

8. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Senior member Dubiously Honored

For fuck's sake, it would be a blue jacket with trousers of that color, whatever it's called. I'm not going to be wearing a goddamn cravat and boots. I posted the picture just as an illustration that the color combination is a classic one. I would be absolutely shocked if anybody ever saw somebody wearing a navy jacket and khaki colored trousers and thought, "that guy must be trying to pull a Brummell."

I am sorry that my blog annoyed you. I am leaving this thread, now that it has morphed from being a useful and informative discussion of cloths to a war on me and my imagined either representation of or slavish devotion to #menswear. Feel free to flame away. Maybe after the embers have died down this thread can become something valuable again.

9. Lovelace

Lovelace Senior member

Most of the clothes considered classic dress today are inspired by the Beau.

The picture above is a caricature by the way,

10. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

Mine is a similar shade but in the 90% mohair version. I made it with patch pockets hoping for it to be a blazer suit. But I find the coat from my navy Lesser blazer suit works better as an odd jacket.

11. bboysdontcryy

I think I know which you're referring to. I wouldn't use that for an odd jacket. That strikes me as suit-y and more sleek. I think, this above, in real life, def. looks casual enough to be worn as an odd jacket/coat. But that's just what I think.

With the appropriate buttons etc, I really don't think this will look like an orphan. IMHO.

12. Axelman 17

Axelman 17 Senior member

Apropos, just had a first fitting of my Smiths lighter than navy (and more grey) mohair suit. So far so good, will try and get some pictures up.

13. Lovelace

Lovelace Senior member

I'm intrigued by Unbel project. and would like to help him if possible.

I don't think he will be wearing this for a traditional black tie event so the traditionalists can rest easy.

Again, regarding the Mohair, this is only my own personal opinion. If you fancy using Mohair, go for it. I'd like to see the result.

14. zalb916

zalb916 Senior member

A close friend worked there about a decade ago, and I occasionally visited him for lunch. It was good food, but I think he was charged about $5 per meal or something. Fresh baked cookies in the afternoon too!

15. Lovelace

Lovelace Senior member

Is this the inspiration for your avatar?

16. whnay.

Take it easy unbrel, just messing around with you.

17. bboysdontcryy

Well, I ate for free. :happy: Aren't you surprised that Manton's piece found its way into a publication by AEI, given that they deal with political and economics stuff? Thank goodness the article wasn't discovered in the recent election. Might have been ammunition for Obama's campaign.

Unbel, chill. They haven't seen the fabric in real life. Their comments are not unsurprising, given the general impressions of how mohair looks like. Sleek, shiny, disco-like.

18. whnay.

No shit, you don't say?

19. Loathing

Loathing Senior member

@Unbel, you might try finding something in a wool-silk-linen blend. I have a TF odd jacket in a rich blue, peak lapels. It's 32% silk / 25% linen / 43% wool. It has an amazing texture that's the tiniest bit slubby, but it's very soft, and yet quite dry at the same time. It has the smallest amount of sheen. It has ridiculously thick MOP buttons, too. I wear it as a sort of "black tie casual" thing in the summer. Well, it definitely functions as a summer equivalent to a velvet jacket.

20. Lovelace

Lovelace Senior member

:)

I think the people who say that Mohair is Disco like have never seen the stuff made up.