• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • The Uniform/LA Lennon Loose Fit jeans drop is now live! Check out both the light Palms and dark Lithium Both are made from premium Japanese right hand 3x1 denim in the USA,. Uniform/LA is know for premium materials and meticulous pattern making. Support a small business built on quality and integrity.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

epsilon22

Reaction score
That sounds right. Florida is also a tropical climate.

In Singapore does it also rain like crazy in the afternoons, after which it gets better after the rain? (The way I always describe it, think about a pressure cooker & releasing the steam.)
Yeah it rains quite a lot year round.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I spent 5ish days in Singapore the December before last, and the wind blew, never. It was like being in the trunk of a car in DC in June with a half dozen soaked towels.
No breeze whatsoever? I would’ve thought it’d have some breeze because it was by the water.
Yeah it rains quite a lot year round.
So basically what you said, Florida summers, except all year round, haha. So it basically doesn’t change?

How the heck did they decide to build there? Like that just sounds miserable - can you imagine if they built it without air conditioning?

constansmulciber

Reaction score
Have you tried the Italian mills like Solbiati and Caccioppoli? They tend to do lighter weight linens in nice warm shades (asides from Art du Lin). Fox Linen has 9oz weight linens too
I did. Solbiati and Caccioppoli seemed to have similar colors not the weight. Fox is my backup but its closest colors (FL9 or 7) are the more reddish hues. So that's why I was hoping if someone had some experience with Spence Bryson or other recommendations I'd really appreciate it...

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No breeze whatsoever? I would’ve thought it’d have some breeze because it was by the water.

So basically what you said, Florida summers, except all year round, haha. So it basically doesn’t change?

How the heck did they decide to build there? Like that just sounds miserable - can you imagine if they built it without air conditioning?

The Coen Brothers' line from O Brother Where Art Thou sprang to mind - "....Well aint this place a geographical oddity!"

Singapore was a British colony - it is at the end of the Malaysia peninsula. Rubber was probably the first commodity that moved through there

epsilon22

Reaction score

It's surprisingly not too breezy most of the time. Soon after I moved there for college I remember there was a very windy and cloudy day, temp dropped to low 20Cs, and it appeared on the news as an uncharacteristically cold day lol.

Not too familiar with the history but it used to be a fishing village that gained independence because Malaysia didn't want it, or something like that. You say it sounds miserable but that's funny coming from someone moving to Florida. :p

ZRH1

Reaction score
Singapore is not breezy, but the temperature is much more pleasant that people expect. Most of the "Singapore is impossibly hot/humid" comments tend to come from people that visit, not those that live. Same probably for Florence, Tokyo and Dubai as per my previous example.

ppk

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did. Solbiati and Caccioppoli seemed to have similar colors not the weight. Fox is my backup but its closest colors (FL9 or 7) are the more reddish hues. So that's why I was hoping if someone had some experience with Spence Bryson or other recommendations I'd really appreciate it...
@camez_ has experience with Spence Bryson. He just helped me choose some cloth for a brown suit.

hitsuji

Reaction score
I have a pair of trousers in Spence Bryson linen. Drapes very well but a little heavier. My tailor preferred it over w.bill but from what I understand, Spence Bryson makes their linens

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a suit in Solbiati linen. I think it's Art du Lin peached linen. I love it. I don't know if it's a cotton linen blend or what, but it it doesn't get overwrinkled like pure linen tends to do and is more comfortable. It MAY be a bit heavy for a jacket meant for very hot weather but for trousers I think it would be fantastic.

ZRH1

Reaction score
I have a suit in Solbiati linen. I think it's Art du Lin peached linen. I love it. I don't know if it's a cotton linen blend or what, but it it doesn't get overwrinkled like pure linen tends to do and is more comfortable. It MAY be a bit heavy for a jacket meant for very hot weather but for trousers I think it would be fantastic.
peached as in peach colour or peached as in a surface treatment akin to the tiny hairs on some peach types?

Noirkw

Reaction score
Anyone who walks outside in Singapore with a suit and/or jacket on is just cosplaying with extremely soaked pits. Realistically, no linen / lightweight / anti-sweat blagh wool will prevent you from sweating buckets. This is due to the humidity. You can be acclimatized to heat - sure. But there is no acclimatization for humidity.

The only realistic way I've found wearing a suit/jacket in Singapore is as follows:

1. Leave my air-conditioned home
2. Take the elevator down to the carpark
3. Blast my car air-conditioning at 18 C / 65 F
4. Reach my office carpark
5. Ride my air-conditioned office carpark lift to my office floor
6. Stay in the office and order food in
7. Repeat steps backwards to home

ZRH1

Reaction score
Anyone who walks outside in Singapore with a suit and/or jacket on is just cosplaying with extremely soaked pits. Realistically, no linen / lightweight / anti-sweat blagh wool will prevent you from sweating buckets. This is due to the humidity. You can be acclimatized to heat - sure. But there is no acclimatization for humidity.

The only realistic way I've found wearing a suit/jacket in Singapore is as follows:

1. Leave my air-conditioned home
2. Take the elevator down to the carpark
3. Blast my car air-conditioning at 18 C / 65 F
4. Reach my office carpark
5. Ride my air-conditioned office carpark lift to my office floor
6. Stay in the office and order food in
7. Repeat steps backwards to home
I just walked 20+ minutes home with a heavy linen WB suit and only had a bit of sweat on my shirt. I do not think I am cosplaying.

Featured Sponsor

With US Luxury Spending Down 11%, Have You Also Cut Back?

• Yes, I’ve reduced my luxury spending.

• No, my luxury spending has stayed the same.

• No, I’ve actually increased my luxury spending.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nojawnsintheprairies