• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ultimate noob thread - recommend me X in my wardrobe - post questions here please.

hyt123

Reaction score
I'm looking for a white dress shirt. No boxes, stripes, nothing fancy.
Most size 15 shirts that fit my shoulder at too big around my belly (even slim/trim fit ones), and most size 14.5/15 shirts that fit my shoulder and my belly are too tight around my neck. I've tried numerous PRL, Charles Tyrwhitt, Paul Fredrick, JCrew, Luciano Barbera, and everything at Macy's. Nothing fits. Looking for something <$100, herringbone preferred, standard cuff preferred, continental US preferred.
I'm 5 feet 8 inches, 150lb, ~37 chest. I wear 32x30 pants. Most small tees are perfect around my belly but tight around my chest and arms, and medium tees are too loose everywhere.

Which fit in Charles Tyrwhitt did you try? I used to have the same issue and had resigned myself to getting all my shirts tailored but then I tried CT Tailored Fit which come darted in the back, and the fit is dead-on. I'm 6', 185lb, 42 chest 31 waist, and wear 16.5/35 for CT Tailored Fit.

agp

Reaction score

Which fit in Charles Tyrwhitt did you try? I used to have the same issue and had resigned myself to getting all my shirts tailored but then I tried CT Tailored Fit which come darted in the back, and the fit is dead-on. I'm 6', 185lb, 42 chest 31 waist, and wear 16.5/35 for CT Tailored Fit.

I have the slim fit. I could fit another person between my belly and my shirt. I just put in an order at Modern Tailor. Hopefully they will be good fits. But as far as shirts that are not MTM, Kenneth Cole Reaction Slim seem to be the only thing that's the perfect fit for me and I have bought everything in that line that look even remotely formal.

Last edited:

scrolls

Reaction score
Bought some thin white linen pants for the summer but my white boxers are quite visible through them. I was told I need skin colored boxers or boxer briefs to fix the problem, but haven't been able to find any. Any suggestions?

hyt123

Reaction score
I have the slim fit. I could fit another person between my belly and my shirt. I just put in an order at Modern Tailor. Hopefully they will be good fits. But as far as shirts that are not MTM, Kenneth Cole Reaction Slim seem to be the only thing that's the perfect fit for me and I have bought everything in that line that look even remotely formal.

Charles Tyrwhitt has the same issue as Brooks Brothers, in that their "slim fit" isn't really that slim at all. I really recommend you try the "Tailored Fit" instead.

hyt123

Reaction score
Bought some thin white linen pants for the summer but my white boxers are quite visible through them. I was told I need skin colored boxers or boxer briefs to fix the problem, but haven't been able to find any. Any suggestions?

Doesn't have to be skin color, just heather gray (+/- depending on your skin tone) will work just fine and probably much easier to find, too.

Pinhas

Reaction score
Hey guys, I need a black pair of dress shoes with laces. A pair I can wear both to a wedding, office and perhaps even out, with jeans. Ideally less than $400.

Thanks in advance.

Regg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

scrolls

Reaction score
Doesn't have to be skin color, just heather gray (+/- depending on your skin tone) will work just fine and probably much easier to find, too.

I'll give this a shot. I would never think heather gray would blend in with thin white pants though, am I just an idiot?

scrolls

Reaction score
The point isn't to blend in with your pants, it's to blend in with your legs.

Oh ya I know, I worded my last response poorly. It just doesn't logically make sense to me that heather gray blends in with tan. Like if someone is trying to blend something in with a red wall, I'd be shocked if the answer was green. Anyway, hopefully I'm pleasantly surprised!

hyt123

Reaction score
Oh ya I know, I worded my last response poorly. It just doesn't logically make sense to me that heather gray blends in with tan. Like if someone is trying to blend something in with a red wall, I'd be shocked if the answer was green. Anyway, hopefully I'm pleasantly surprised!

It's not so much the color but the brightness that causes a white undergarment to show through. It's basically the same reason why it's a better idea to wear a gray (grey?) undershirt with a dress shirt, because white undershirts tend to show, being especially obvious at the upper arms where they end.

bentleychris23

Reaction score
Hi, I want to create a style for myself and start wearing nice clothing. I normally just buy whatever from macy's and don't really think twice about style. I have lean muscle and am slim. I want to create a whole new wardrobe for myself. I'm 21 years old so i'm not really looking for all suits and sportcoats, more streetwear. Can someone recommend me nice t-shirts, button downs, jeans, shorts, shoes, everything. I want to redo everything and really wear some nice clothes. I dont like skinny jeans or v-necks, but do like slim fit shirts.

Last edited:

Sean9

Reaction score
Depends a lot on your budget but a good starting point would be something like...

Common Projects, Stan Smiths or Gats (Margiela, not the bootleg ones) for footwear, a pair of APCs (in whichever cut you're most comfortable) and whatever basic t shirts you like, for me Acne fit nice. You can basically wear that daily and look pretty good and that's when you should probably take a second to figure out exactly what direction you want to go or how far you want to dip into this fashion thing.

CDHagg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi, I want to create a style for myself and start wearing nice clothing. I normally just buy whatever from macy's and don't really think twice about style. I have lean muscle and am slim. I want to create a whole new wardrobe for myself. I'm 21 years old so i'm not really looking for all suits and sportcoats, more streetwear. Can someone recommend me nice t-shirts, button downs, jeans, shorts, shoes, everything. I want to redo everything and really wear some nice clothes. I dont like skinny jeans or v-necks, but do like slim fit shirts.

Hang out on Styleforum, and read lots of posts (especially the WAYWT thread) to develop a sense of style.
Don't buy anything for several months.
When you do buy things, don't ever spend your whole month's pay on one label, because you'll find an even better label in no time.

Resist the urge to just throw everything out and start from scratch; You will become unhappy with your purchases as your sense of style improves, and you will have wasted money.

Good luck! :)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads