• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ultimate noob thread - recommend me X in my wardrobe - post questions here please.

Sonorously

Reaction score
Talking about Denim, what about Unbranded demin? It's about $80, and I heard it was a good value at that price; 'tis true?

Yup. Go with the tapered fit. Skinny is skinny in the thigh, but only slim below the knees. Slim-Straight is just a typical straight cut.

Sonorously

Reaction score
I want to add a pair of suede chucks to my rotation. Other than Clark DBs what else should I be looking for?

amathew

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So i recently got into mens fashion and have managed to buy plenty of dress shirts, trousers, sweaters, ties, etc. However, the one thing I have yet to really buy is my first "big boy" pair of dress shoes. I keep reading on this forum that dress shoes shouldn't be skimped on. I'm open to spending some cash, but for this first purchase, I would like to limit my spending to 150-300.

Thinking about either of the following:

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=1&Section_Id=522&Product_Id=1518393&Parent_Id=1032&default_color=BLACK&sort_by=ratings&sectioncolor=&sectionsize=
(25% sale at BB starts on Thurs, so will cost a little less)
http://www.allenedmonds.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/producti_SF6214_1_40000000001_-1

Any suggestions?

CDHagg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I want to add a pair of suede chucks to my rotation. Other than Clark DBs what else should I be looking for?
Walkover is a good next-step-up. I have a pair, and they're better-made that Clark DBs.

Dashaansafin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any recommendation on a all around good suede loafer? Planning to wear it with dark jeans/chinos. Something versatile. Price is under $400. Thanks for any suggestions!:slayer:

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Need no show socks. Have some mocc socks, but get a lot of heel slippage.

ryewo[i dmfsOZI490w

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So i recently got into mens fashion and have managed to buy plenty of dress shirts, trousers, sweaters, ties, etc. However, the one thing I have yet to really buy is my first "big boy" pair of dress shoes. I keep reading on this forum that dress shoes shouldn't be skimped on. I'm open to spending some cash, but for this first purchase, I would like to limit my spending to 150-300. Thinking about either of the following:
http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=1&Section_Id=522&Product_Id=1518393&Parent_Id=1032&default_color=BLACK&sort_by=ratings&sectioncolor=&sectionsize=
(25% sale at BB starts on Thurs, so will cost a little less)
http://www.allenedmonds.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/producti_SF6214_1_40000000001_-1

Any suggestions?
Hiya, there's also a 2 for $200 Alled Edmonds sale going on right now at their outlets. Some of them are "seconds" so they might have a small visual defect, but from what I've seen it's almost unnoticeable most of the time. Just another option for you.

amathew

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hiya, there's also a 2 for $200 Alled Edmonds sale going on right now at their outlets. Some of them are "seconds" so they might have a small visual defect, but from what I've seen it's almost unnoticeable most of the time.
Just another option for you.

Thanks, I purchased a pair from the outlet. On another forum, people posted pics of the shoes they received and some were in horrid shape, include one where the leather was torn. Hoping I get some decent shoes.

Last edited:

Leonard Chang

Reaction score
Looking to include 3 higher end sneakers both lo and high top into my wardrobe upgrade plan now. Assuming u have no sneakers now and can choose 3 , what would you pick? Colors to be chosen too! :slayer::slayer:

thanks!

overhuman

Reaction score
I’d like to change my wardrobe, which is plagued by comically ill-fitted Hollister and Abercrombie & Fitch t-shirts I bought during high school. Majoring in sociology, I now hate the image these brands carry. While I wouldn't want to fall in the ridiculous ‘’hipster’’ trend you’ll find at Urban Outfitters with skinny orange chinos, huge wayfarer glasses and a sovietic sleeveless tee, I studied and wholeheartedly agree with some the fundamental ideas behind the movement (which I’ll summarize as altermondialism for the sake of this question). Too bad it has become a victim of its own popularity, its principles corrupted by the masses as it became a trend, something it was meant to mock in the first place. In any case I find myself enjoying the company of these people way more than any common douche you’re likely to meet these days. In my area (Montreal), I noticed this dichotomy of fashion among young people – Hollister douchebags vs. Topman hipsters, both pejorative designations and rightfully so.

I’m looking for classy indie brands or stores if such a thing exists, a hybrid of preppy and hipster if you will. The goal is to get a more ''intellectual'' or street smart look I won't be ashamed of in ten years. I’m more of a low profile guy; definitely not trying to prove myself with flashy clothes, I always keep it relatively casual. My only leads would be Fossil, Kenneth Cole and especially Boxfresh for now, any ideas? I know these brands aren’t highly regarded on these boards but keep in mind I’m on a tight budget. Still, any suggestions are welcome, except Tommy Hilfiger because I work there and it fills half of my wardrobe. Hell, if my ideas sound incredibly dumb to you, I’d really like to know.

I asked on other forums but the answers were Asos, Topman, Phixclothing, Allsaints etc. Poor taste, over-trying the thing.

Thanks for your help

Last edited:

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

[COLOR=333333]I’d like to change my wardrobe, which is plagued by comically ill-fitted Hollister and Abercrombie & Fitch t-shirts I bought during high school. Majoring in sociology, I now hate the image these brands carry. While I wouldn't want to fall in the ridiculous ‘’hipster’’ trend you’ll find at Urban Outfitters with skinny orange chinos, huge wayfarer glasses and a sovietic sleeveless tee, I studied and wholeheartedly agree with some the fundamental ideas behind the movement (which I’ll summarize as altermondialism for the sake of this question). Too bad it has become a victim of its own popularity, its principles corrupted by the masses as it became a trend, something it was meant to mock in the first place. In any case I find myself enjoying the company of these people way more than any common douche you’re likely to meet these days.  In my area (Montreal), I noticed this dichotomy of fashion among young people – Hollister douchebags vs. Topman hipsters, both pejorative designations and rightfully so. [/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]I’m looking for classy indie brands or stores if such a thing exists, a hybrid of preppy and hipster if you will. The goal is to get a more ''intellectual'' or street smart look I won't be ashamed of in ten years. I’m more of a low profile guy; definitely not trying to prove myself with flashy clothes, I always keep it relatively casual.  My only leads would be Fossil, Kenneth Cole and especially Boxfresh for now, any ideas?  I know these brands aren’t highly regarded on these boards but keep in mind I’m on a tight budget.  Still, any suggestions are welcome, except Tommy Hilfiger because I work there and it fills half of my wardrobe.  Hell, if my ideas sound incredibly dumb to you, I’d really like to know.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]I asked on other forums but the answers were Asos, Topman, Phixclothing, Allsaints etc.  Poor taste, over-trying the thing.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]Thanks for your help[/COLOR]

Hey overhuman,

Welcome to the forum! Try reading through this thread http://www.styleforum.net/t/279552/the-official-affordable-swag-thread/ (quick summary: uniqlo)

I can't really comment about your hipster aesthetic, but I'm sure you'll find some affordable, basic pieces from the suggestions in that thread that you can work into your style. I will say, though, that you won't find any love here for those brands that you mentioned.

scrolls

Reaction score
Crossposting this from the sneaker thread...

Having trouble finding a good summer shoe to be worn with mostly shorts, occasionally jeans/chinos. I really hate boat shoes even though the first pic below is one, might be the first boat shoe ever I've liked. Any opinions on these four or any recommendations otherwise? Thanks.

Wooglin

Reaction score
Crossposting this from the sneaker thread...

Having trouble finding a good summer shoe to be worn with mostly shorts, occasionally jeans/chinos. I really hate boat shoes even though the first pic below is one, might be the first boat shoe ever I've liked. Any opinions on these four or any recommendations otherwise? Thanks.

IMHO the slip on look is not my favorite. Check out Van's Authentics, Jack Purcells or Tretorns. You can't go wrong with simple, white, canvas tennis shoes.

amathew

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am looking for to buy my first pair of decent sunglasses.
First, let me note that I do wear eyes glasses because I am near sighted. I have worn contacts in the past and find them unbearable. Given this situation, I am looking for a pair of sunglasses.
I don't want to go the prescription sunglasses route, so I am looking for something which is stylish but won't be worn all that much. I won't be wearing them when I'm driving or anything which requires my eye glasses. I think I'll just wear them when I don't necesarilly need my eye glasses, such as when I'm out on the town or what not.
The plan is to simply replace my eye glasses with the sun glasses when the scenario permits and vice versa. Another reason for why I'm averse to prescription sunglasses is because I live in Denver, CO and while it's not as snowy here as people think, we do have very distinct seasons and the glasses would have to be set aside most of the year.
Can anyone provide suggestions?
EDIT:
I was admiring these GANT glasses over at GILT:
http://www.gilt.com/sale/men/gant-eyewear-8725/product/99083087-gant-eyewear-aden-sunglasses

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads