• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ultimate noob thread - recommend me X in my wardrobe - post questions here please.

about11oclock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by newbie123
I would like to buy a brown sebago boat shoes and debating whether i should get the white sole or brown sole. I will be using it with khakis, shorts and jeans. I really like both equally, but what do you guys think? Is one more flexible (with other clothing) or better than the other? Please advise.

Note: I posted this in the other thread also ("ask a quick question" thread).

SBG-W72756-03-y.psd.jpg

SBG-W72743-072010.jpg

nah, digging the brown sole.

fabio

Reaction score
i want to buy some quality shirts

but doubt have to pay >$100 to have one

im considering paying max $80 for a shirt

which brands could i be looking at?

brooks and brothers
ralph lauren
j crew
charles tyrwhitt

Vecna

Reaction score
Good afternoon! First of all, I have read through the t-shirt thread in its entirety but this specific questions doesn't seem to be discussed I got an Alternative Apparel shirt and I love the cut. Unfortunately I can see through it and my nipples are very obvious. Is there any shirt that is a very similar cut, but is a thicker fabric? I've tried j-crew, espirit, gap, and a lot other brands and all of their white shirts are translucent. tldr I just want a well fitting non-elastic white shirt with decent drape that is not translucent. Advice?

Prada_Ferragamo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vecna
Good afternoon! First of all, I have read through the t-shirt thread in its entirety but this specific questions doesn't seem to be discussed

I got an Alternative Apparel shirt and I love the cut. Unfortunately I can see through it and my nipples are very obvious. Is there any shirt that is a very similar cut, but is a thicker fabric? I've tried j-crew, espirit, gap, and a lot other brands and all of their white shirts are translucent.

tldr I just want a well fitting non-elastic white shirt with decent drape that is not translucent. Advice?

James Perse?

Spaghettimatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Having locked down a charcoal and navy suit, I am looking to buy a third. I was wondering if a light-med grey herringbone would be appropriate for the summer and not too flashy? (see the first here:
HERRINGBONES.jpg
) I know I do not want pinstripes, and I know that I want something lighter in shade/tone for the warmer months. Would this be SF approved for a third suit?

1up

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do these fit okay? Am I doing it completely wrong? They're just some twill pants from AA, was considering buying Urban Slim Fit pants from Jcrew but pants are always tough to size for me and I was nervous about ordering online. Anyone own both and can comment comparatively? The taper is too narrow to wear them long with Clark DB's so I'm pretty much forced to cuff them up.

J3HpZl.jpg

triad

Reaction score
I'm looking to get a black brogue shoes with commando sole, and preferably natural or brown edge. Really like this custom tricker's keswick, but looking for a more affordable option
anyone got any recommendations?

thanks!

malcolm4819

Reaction score
Looking for something to spice up my summer look. Typically wear oxfords, polos, tees and henleys with denim or chinos. Simple things to stay cool in this TX heat. Anyway looking for nice Waistcoats and light button-down sweater vests to add some flavor to the oxfords. Any recommendations?

Also, If you know of any nice and/or unique ties..

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let's do this again. Last time I asked for a jean rec, I wanted whatever inconvenienced the most people to make, and I ended up getting the KMW 1980 hand dye. Now I'm bored of them, and I'm in the mood for the best normal jean. I just mean something totally normal and unspecial, but also super high quality.

Some things that might help - I have $50 context cash, and I want the cut to be close to the 1980. My waist is 34. It should be raw and blue, preferably Japanese. The only reason I do not just get another 1980 is cuz I want to try something different.

But no bells or whistles.

Hkstyles

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CunningSmeagol
Let's do this again. Last time I asked for a jean rec, I wanted whatever inconvenienced the most people to make, and I ended up getting the KMW 1980 hand dye. Now I'm bored of them, and I'm in the mood for the best normal jean. I just mean something totally normal and unspecial, but also super high quality.

Some things that might help - I have $50 context cash, and I want the cut to be close to the 1980. My waist is 34. It should be raw and blue, preferably Japanese. The only reason I do not just get another 1980 is cuz I want to try something different.

But no bells or whistles.

Momotaro1

Dbear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really like Gitman. Have about 8 of their shirts, in a variety of fabrics.

However, I do tailor the ones that I intend to wear untucked (about 75% of them) and also add darts...

...so I started thinking...if I'm tailoring them so much...what's the point...might as well be buying BoO.

Can someone recommend another brand? Quality & Price is priority, since nothing fits me out of the box...so I'll be tailoring it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads