• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ultimate noob thread - recommend me X in my wardrobe - post questions here please.

johnnyc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by KitAkira
Do not listen to this. Those things are horrendously horrible, tremendously terrible, atrociously apish, unforgettably unbearable, nauseatingly nasty, insatiably insufferable, grossly grotesque, etc.

ouch.
yeah, split toe and squared toes should go the way of the dodo bird.

but hey, it's your money.

MelonSnapple

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm new here and wondering what are basics? Also what are some cheap jeans I could manage to scrounge up? I only have one pair of jeans that fit me currently.

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jtfire55
I'm a freshman in college and I'm trying to get into men style. I have looked a little bit on GQ, but everything is crazy expensive. As you know by the title, I'm a college student, and that means that I have a tight budget. Here are the two questions I have: 1. What are the essential items in a wardrobe? (act like I have nothing) 2. Where can I get cheap, fashionable clothing? (so far I noticed many people shop at thrift shops and Goodwill stores)
1) Kind of varies depending on what you do in your day to day life, if I had to get by on a bare minimum - one navy blue suit, preferably with a little texture to the fabric - if you have to the suit jacket can be used as a blazer with your better jeans or other trousers one pair of shoes suitable for wearing with the suit one shirt suitable for wearing with suit and a tie to go with it two pairs of dark jeans, one slightly nicer/in better condition two oxford shirts, one white, one blue one pair of non-denim slim trousers - maybe cords or moleskin if it is cold where you are, otherwise chinos. one pair of brown leather boots one pair of trainers for casual wear one coat that can deal with the weather where you live - varsity, pea coat etc. one grey crew neck wool jumper some t-shirts or other casual shirts 2) Got a Uniqlo near you?

Cote

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dipshit Coworker
Plain tees may seem boring to you but I assure you that they are far less ridiculous than the Express graphics you've been wearing. I think Kohl's has some passable 514 dark washes. Get those. Maybe drop into your local J. Crew and splurge on a decent sweater or jacket. Round it out with some Clarks desert boots or maybe a pair of Red Wings. There, you're done.
I wore plain slim fitting black and white v-neck tees all day long before. Recently got few graphic tees from diet butcher slim skin, lad musician and death squad passarella. Even if it's not approved, I think they're kinda cool and were worth the money
uhoh.gif

PhoenixDown

Reaction score
So I typically buy size 8.5 for my shoes, and I'm looking at Clarks Desert on ebay and there's the light brown suede size 8 for $65 shipped -- should I jump on that?

edit: sorry i should direct those towards a more appropriate thread -- need to get out of the noob phase.

vaalbara

Reaction score
Originally Posted by PhoenixDown
So I typically buy size 8.5 for my shoes, and I'm looking at Clarks Desert on ebay and there's the light brown suede size 8 for $65 shipped -- should I jump on that? edit: sorry i should direct those towards a more appropriate thread -- need to get out of the noob phase.
amazon has a 30% off sale on shoes over 75 bucks (ie, dbs) until the 24th, which should come out to be cheaper than the one up on amazon. and free shipping if you're a student, to boot! and now, i can't decide if i want dbs in beeswax or oakwood. fuuuuuuuuuck.

PhoenixDown

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip, time to take advantage of that prime shipping. Probably going to order the sand.
Edit: ahh they don't have my size in that =/

Dips**t Coworker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by PhoenixDown
Thanks for the tip, time to take advantage of that prime shipping. Probably going to order the sand.
Edit: ahh they don't have my size in that =/

Get the beeswax leather and waterproof them. Looks hot.

Reaction score
Can somebody recommend some new casual buttonup shirts for my wardrobe? I don't need anymore flannel, and I need something that's slim fitting for tall skinny guy.

I also need something good to wear with this black cardigan I just got.

Aaaand finally, a nice pair of flat sole oxfords. Either black or brown.

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score
^ Your handle is awesome.

Epaulet makes pretty slim shirts, and a few of the forum affiliates (listed at the top of the page) carry Gitman Vintage and some others that make slim fits. You can also get made-to-measure shirts from Cotton Works and Modern Tailor, both forum affiliates (I think they're just listed on the MC side of the forum).

And I dunno, Allen Edmonds, maybe? Name a price range and someone who knows more than I do will probably tell you to spend more and name some more brands. There's also a "Streetwear Shoes & Boots" thread if you want to see pictures.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by notwithit
^ Your handle is awesome.

Epaulet makes pretty slim shirts, and a few of the forum affiliates (listed at the top of the page) carry Gitman Vintage and some others that make slim fits. You can also get made-to-measure shirts from Cotton Works and Modern Tailor, both forum affiliates (I think they're just listed on the MC side of the forum).

And I dunno, Allen Edmonds, maybe? Name a price range and someone who knows more than I do will probably tell you to spend more and name some more brands. There's also a "Streetwear Shoes & Boots" thread if you want to see pictures.

Why thank you, lol.

As far as price range...I'm going to have to be a cheap ass by necessity unfortunately. I can probably max out around 50 for my shirts, and somewhere in the neighborhood at least of 100 for the shoes, though I find a way to flex on that if I can get better shoes for a little more $$$.

BTW, is there a trick to finding a good tailor and knowing if they're going to be legit when you take your stuff to them?

twdawson

Reaction score
In retrospect, making my own thread was a poor decision...

--
Looking for a not too heavy olive-colored jacket to wear this fall/winter ( i live in San Diego). I'm 5'10" with an athletic build. Any suggestions ( or links to items) that don't cost an arm and a leg? Budget is around $150...

Thinking something like this Barbour jacket :::

http://www.gilt.com/giltmanual/wp-co...argin=&align=#

(though maybe one lighter/ more faded)

Also considering similarly colored blazers / military-style jackets as well.

Thanks in advance for helping a style n00b out
tinfoil.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads