• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ultimate noob thread - recommend me X in my wardrobe - post questions here please.

Prada_Ferragamo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Knisse
Looking for a light "fall"/spring/summer jacket that go with everything, Cords/tight jeans/chinos/shorts etc.

Anyone got any good recommendations? Brand is not that importent, just it fits in that light-just-throw-on and take the bike and off i am category.

Browse tweedydon's sale threads. He has a few for good price. I bought a LL Bean navy cotton blazer from him that I often wear.

Prada_Ferragamo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by funkygroove
Now that boat shoes have hit market saturation and you can buy sperrys at Journeys what do you guys recommend for non-sneaker summer shoes? Thanks, -FG
Tod's, Barker Black, Bottega Veneta, etc, etc. For cheaper options, AE and Alden make some nice penny loafers. Also white or tan suede bucks will do. Check out BB or Mark McNairy.
Originally Posted by Tommyp
Where's the recommended place for slim fitting shorts at an affordable price right now?
RL/J.Crew sales rack.

habitant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Knisse
Looking for a light "fall"/spring/summer jacket that go with everything, Cords/tight jeans/chinos/shorts etc.

Anyone got any good recommendations? Brand is not that importent, just it fits in that light-just-throw-on and take the bike and off i am category.

How about a crescent down works from south willard?

Sherlock_13

Reaction score
would these Supra shoes (ignore the laces in the pic, mine has white laces, so please try looking at it with white laces):

SUPRA Shoes

look good with this kind of walk shorts?

Any brand of shorts, but at least a lot like this one.

i don't have lots of pants, and only two look good with those shoes, so I was wondering if pairing them with shorts would look great. would they?

djan

Reaction score
Topman oxford shirts are cheap but what is the cut like? I've looking for some oxford shirts that are slim fit and short enough to wear untucked. Preferably cheaper than BoO.
topman-light-washed-oxford-shirt.jpg
b_83S46BBRN_large.jpg

jakekrait

Reaction score
I need a light jacket in my wardrobe and I am leaning towards a field jacket. Maybe something green or brown. I am currently in NYC unfortunately I dont have a lot of time to run around and look for stuff. Where would be a good place to look for a simple field jacket below $150?

Other light jacket recommendations welcome.

computurd

Reaction score
Originally Posted by djan
Topman oxford shirts are cheap but what is the cut like? I've looking for some oxford shirts that are slim fit and short enough to wear untucked. Preferably cheaper than BoO.

topman-light-washed-oxford-shirt.jpg

b_83S46BBRN_large.jpg

ToJ IIRC

$120 for standard shirt sizing
$160 for made to measure,

Cheaper than BoO

prokart

Reaction score
I want round toe (not pointy) navy suede bucks/oxfords with orange sole, but can't drop that much on McNairy...what choices do I have?

For cheaper Oxfords in general, which one is better made? Bass, Florsheim, Sperry, Johnston & Murphy, Type Z shoes?

TeeJayEe

Reaction score
Hey guys, first post, inevitably gonna make some schoolboy errors most likely.

So here's the story, I'm 26, last couple days I've had a sudden realisation that I'm just not that cool. Id love to sum it up in a more specific way, but that's about as in-depth as I can get.

I always thought I had a pretty good handle on style but having browsed this board and some of the related links, I need some serious schooling.

I just wanna get a kinda makeover. Think one of those shows where the dude who can't dress gets a new wardrobe from some guys in the know.

Im aiming for something street, but still smart. Thats another issue, I just feel a little 'scruffy'. I was car shopping the other day, and I was getting like no interest from the sales peoples and I'm pretty sure its because of how I look.

Let me clarify, I'm not like totally clueless, but I would really like to get a bit more knowledge on how I should be dressing.

I'm skinny, and like 6ft.

Currently, I'm wearing slimmer fit denim, I have trouble finding nice brands/cuts. I like them to fit 'properly' at the waist, not too tight but fitted. Then slimmer down the leg, into a pretty tight cuff, not overly tight at any point. As i said, I usually find fits I like on the off chance, but this is something I would like to find, a brand, cut, I can stick with.

Footwear and top half is where I need the most assistance.

I'm currently alternating between all black chuck hi's, and all black chuck hi's. I'm just not sure what else I should be considering.

And top half, I just have no clue. I stick to printed tee's, but I'd like to get outta that if I can, but as i said, struggling with ideas.

This morning, I went shopping, and failed miserably. I picked up a couple pairs of nice fitting 'regular' jeans, some real nice brown distressed brogues, and 5 dress shirts. 4 plain shirts, and one in a kind of bengal stripe.

I get it all home put it on and wore it round the house. Long story short I felt like a dick. I mean, I looked smart, and the clothes could easily look good on other people, but I just felt too smart, too dressy and as I said, like a dick. I returned it all this afternoon.

I think I need to find a middle-ground.

So I know this is vague, but I feel like I'm taking up new hobby, and need a helping hand with getting started.

Budget wise, I'm obviously gonna want to pick up a few things at once, so nothing toooo crazy. Let's say $600-700 for the first spree.

Feel free to point and laugh, but as long as there's a little help somewhere in there I'll be happy.

Thanks guys

Doctor Quack

Reaction score
First, take a deep breath; you don't want to rush into this. Taking advice from mystery strangers on the internet may be counter-productive if you'll just end up thinking the clothes won't work for you. Unless you're into collecting things, it's best not to buy stuff that you'll only like on the hangars (or other people). Take a look through the WAYWT threads and look for styles, fits, etc. that you like. Also, it's important to realize that your first steps will be about experimentation, so don't unnecessarily limit yourself by finding a "safe" rut you can stick yourself in.

Second, it would probably help if you'd be a bit more specific about where you're coming from and where you'd like to go. What stores do you go to? What brands do you buy? Pictures of where you're at, while potentially embarrassing, are immensely helpful.

Hollywars

Reaction score
Take ideas from fits you like, but don't just copy people. Work on finding your own style, just by trying you'll look better than like 90% of people, just keep working at it
smile.gif
Nothing wrong with Nike blazers or other semi-nice sneakers, a lot of people here will want you to get like 300$ shoes though. Converse, Tretorn, Keds are always safe bets.

tv2177

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, this is another boat shoes decision time. color 1 or 2? please give me some suggestion.

also, should i be worry that color 2 is made of suede so it'll be very hard to clean? or since it's a boat shoe i should just let it get worn-in and dirty?

Attachment 63022

Attachment 63023

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members