• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Traveling to Italy

Adam2001

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to take a trip to Italy for the first time since graduating college and was wondering what the generally-accepted attire is these days? We won't be spending much time in large cities (no Milan, only one day in each of Venice, Florence, and Rome), but will be in Verona, and Tuscany much of the time. Any tips for blending in and not looking like a yankee tourist?

Also, any advice available for clothing/leather shopping in Florence or elsewhere? The leather markets in Florence seemed great when I was 22, but I have a feeling there might be a large amount of low-quality goods.

Thanks.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't really tell when you're coming.

Jeans and jacket will cover most situations. Focus on quality more then anything else.

To be honest it's the number of stops that will make you seem the yankee tourist. You're going to spend more time packing and traveling then you will in Venice,Rome and Florence. Better to cut the number of stops down and waste less time enjoying the autostrade or the train stations.

Adam2001

Reaction score
There's not much traveling involved -- we're in Venice only because we're landing there; in Rome only because we're flying out. Lions share of the time is spent in Verona and Siena. But thanks.

ohm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Adam2001
There's not much traveling involved -- we're in Venice only because we're landing there; in Rome only because we're flying out. Lions share of the time is spent in Verona and Siena. But thanks.

I was recently in italy and it seemed like a much larger proportion of the men there wore suits. That said, I was in Milan and Venice so Verona and Siena may be different.

summej2

Reaction score
In spring and summer travel in rural and smaller-town Italy I wear cotton pants or gray worsteds (mostly incotex or other slim types), buttondown shirts, and Tod's or other casual leather shoes (tan brogue oxfords) with a light sweater in the evening or a jacket for a nicer dinner. It's served me well.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Advice from an outsider to avoid to look like a Yankee tourist:
-Do not wear any University/college sweat shirt/tee-shirt.
No Abercrombie or Ralph lauren massive logos on display...
For the ladies: No trainers with anything dressy...Please...

GPeabody

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
[...]
No Abercrombie or Ralph lauren massive logos on display... [...]

lol8[1].gif
They should be avoided all the time!
My suggestion: focus on the fit.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Guys ,they're irritating especially on post pubescent teenager without any muscles...
Abercrombie is just near Savile row and everytime I'm going around it I want to strangle anyone getting out of that stupid shop...
Avoid also anything for Hilfinger with big American flags on it ...Not everybody is pro-American around the world even if since Obama you will get a better response...

DrPat

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
Advice from an outsider to avoid to look like a Yankee tourist:
-Do not wear any University/college sweat shirt/tee-shirt.
No Abercrombie or Ralph lauren massive logos on display...
For the ladies: No trainers with anything dressy...Please...

+1

Other things to avoid: baggy khakis with pleats, polos with company logos, anything with a logo of an American sports team, backwards baseball hats, crocs, white sneakers. Also boat shoes, although this one may be more to my personal dislike of them.

blackplatano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Leather jackets in Florence left me cold. You might feel the same, however, I saw a friend who did get something and was impressed with the leather. Made me think I should have looked harder.

Anyways,

It depends on your circle of friends, I suppose. If you go clubbing in Florence for example, you'll see a bunch on white jeans, contrast collar shirts and lame shoes. BTW, Italy is the tacky jean capital of the world. The fit most men wear is pretty slim, but not always skinny.

Venice is very dandy-ish and very fashion conscious in a MC forum kind of way. You will see a lot of pieces meant to show that said person belongs to the baller class. A lot of exotic skins, tailored clothing, designer stuff. The style here is generally more formal, in the loose sense of the word, then other places I've been to in Italy.

From what I noticed, Rome has a little of everything and is very varied as far as Italy goes.

Italy in general likes the slimmer fits, flashy details and is not a afraid to dress it up.

Zegnamtl

Reaction score
Adam, Italy is a wonderful country, you will have a great time. Leather shoes at all time unless climbing a dirt path up a mountain. No Spectators! The average Italian man would wear something along these lines where a NA male would wear Nike. (quick example only) http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline...val=&Widthval= You do not mention the month that you will be traveling in or where (as in a possible dress code or not for dinner) you will be staying, but late April and early May are very good seasons as the tourist wave is not yet in full swing and you will not need more than a sport jacket at night if you live the northern 1/3 of the US. Generally, Italian men dress FAR better than we do here in NA. At very least, good sport jackets and dress shirts with leather shoes, I always bring at least one suit. How long are you staying? Rome can be hot and muggy in the heat of summer, and linen shirts and pants are great to have along if you are going closer to June/July. Siena is a great town, but it is a walled city and the outskirts are overloaded with tour buses. I hope you are there early in the season, it is a much more enjoyable spot then. There are few nice to spots to see withn an hours drive of Siena if you wish to make a little day trip. Tuscany and Umbria are very nice. Tuscany gets the glory, but Umbria can be very nice too. There is a great shop in Venice called Black Watch, skip shopping in Florence and save your cash for Black Watch.
smile.gif
PS: Venice has been ruined by tourism, it is little more than a mall within historic buildings. Don't get your hopes up to high for the Venice leg of the trip. But if you forget you runners, don't worry, there is even a Foot Locker store. Sorry, but better warned now if you have not been there in 20 plus years, you are in for shock.
Originally Posted by Adam2001
I'm getting ready to take a trip to Italy for the first time since graduating college and was wondering what the generally-accepted attire is these days? We won't be spending much time in large cities (no Milan, only one day in each of Venice, Florence, and Rome), but will be in Verona, and Tuscany much of the time. Any tips for blending in and not looking like a yankee tourist? Also, any advice available for clothing/leather shopping in Florence or elsewhere? The leather markets in Florence seemed great when I was 22, but I have a feeling there might be a large amount of low-quality goods. Thanks.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And if you must wear a baseball cap, remove it when indoors. When I was a TA in an American university I could barely restrain myself from yelling at the students who sat in the back rows with their caps on. I'm Italian, btw.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Staff online

Forum statistics