• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
all are welcome.

nod[1].gif
Also, Roger is a nice man.

Cool fact: Despite reading this thread for a while, there are still only two watches that I really want, and they are the same ones I have wanted for a while --
1: A 36mm Rolex Explorer I
2: A VC dress watch in white gold (the Patrimony Extra-plate).

After that, I think I could like the AP Royal Oak re-issue or a basic Nautilus, but neither of those watches really eat away at my resistance. In the meantime, I continue to wear a 1953 Omega Constellation bumper wind every day and occasionally slip on a red gold Minerva Cal 49, 2000 SE. I think I will get one of my old cal. 321 Speedys refurbished and brought up to daily use reliability.

For all the wonders in this thread (and in dreamland, Lange is the maker that I get, well, "Frilly" about), I certainly get your taste. A simple black Sub is probably top of my list (GMT or Explorer possible alternatives), and some kind of alternative dress watch with small seconds - of which the Patrimony is a lovely example. The RO or even a Nauti are definitely appealing, but each a step up in turn so probably for the more distant future/titillation only.

The switchboard operator connects you to a small facility in China where you can get a customized Valchereen Codstandeen. It has decorative chronograph pushers that do not work, but it will fool a few folks on 42 Street. Valchereen usually has an AD selling watches from his trench coat in your nearest subway station.

I could introduce you to my surprisingly wealthy Nigerian cousin who has a great business proposal for a man of your standing....

The thread should be renamed something like Watch P0rn, 'cause that's really what it is!

Here's one to my personal taste, Baume & Mercier Capeland in Red Gold
smile.gif
I think that's what it was called originally..now it bears the delightful acronym "TWAT". I think the Capeland is pretty too, and especially in rose gold. But one problem with hanging around here is that your tastes will get more expensive by the week!

There's a poor mans watch thread in sw&d
Elitist ! Don't be sending people over to SWD. It's a thoroughly inferior place. Classic is for gentlemen.
fistbump.gif

Last edited:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I could introduce you to my surprisingly wealthy Nigerian cousin who has a great business proposal for a man of your standing....
lol8[1].gif
I am really excited about his business proposal. I'm sure ChicagoRon will want to get in on this deal so he can finance his bespoke VC....what were the details again...if we each give him $150,000 in cash just to cover some taxes and fees, he will pay each of us $1.5 Million when his own funds clear? I can hardly wait to get started. I am hoping this deal will pay off my debt for that bridge I bought a few years ago.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
were we talking about panerai before?

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
No Stitch, I don't think that's been mentioned for quite a while. Not much call for it around here...

(Forgive my ignorance, is that the 356? And is it for sale? With or without the shoes this time?)

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't like that other thread. Seems like it would elicit a ton of questions regarding which <$200 watch is "best". Just get what you think looks good on your wrist at that price point. Here there is at least talk of better watches even if only a select few of us can afford them.

I will comment on PAM though. I like the style of the watches, size, and most dials. My only issue is the large number of pieces with seemingly small variations that get different model numbers. I can't keep up which would make finding the one I like tough. Though I did look at the 8-day mentioned previously and I do like that. Something about have a reserve gauge on the face that I like but I know not everyone does.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
^^ Agree with all of the above. And everyone's definition of "poor man" is different. There are plenty of obscure vintage pieces or less celebrated makers popping up on this thread. Anyway, whether it's a $250k Breguet minute repeater or a sub $1k Stowa, it's nice to dream isn't it?

There is only one TWAT. Stay on the CM side where it's nice.

(And I also like those linear power reserve indicators on the face, although the ones on the back of the movement strike me as a bit impractical, if a charming oddity).

Exhibit A: Rich Man

Exhibit B: Not-Rich-Man

Verdict: both TWAT-friendly

Last edited:

nocommando

Reaction score
Wow... that Breguet is complicated! But I'd take the Stowa and buy me a new car and house with the 249K $ left...
lookaround.gif

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

nod%5B1%5D.gif
... For all the wonders in this thread (and in dreamland, Lange is the maker that I get, well, "Frilly" about), I certainly get your taste. A simple black Sub is probably top of my list (GMT or Explorer possible alternatives), and some kind of alternative dress watch with small seconds - of which the Patrimony is a lovely example. The RO or even a Nauti are definitely appealing, but each a step up in turn so probably for the more distant future/titillation only. . . .
I don't really see the RO o Nautilus as a step up over the Explorer 1. As sport watches, which is what I really want, they are inferior (not as legible and likely not as sturdy). What they have is interesting, singular design, in a style that appeals to me. This is the VC that I want. It is no longer in production but I should be able to find it if I really looked:
This is the watch I will get when someone offers to buy me a watch. I saw it at Wempe when I was looking to buy a new watch (I was deciding between it and the JLC ultrathin) and I went home to think it over. Then the spirit that was urging me to buy a watch departed.
vcup1.jpg
vcup2.jpg
I continue to think it superior to every other dress watch I have seen.

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^ that VC truly is lovely ^^

No Stitch, I don't think that's been mentioned for quite a while.  Not much call for it around here...
(Forgive my ignorance, is that the 356? And is it for sale?  With or without the shoes this time?)

yup, that is the 356 and it is for sale. no shoes on this one though.

here are some more pics.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

kai - do you see an RGM in your future?

Magic 8 ball says . . . "very likely, only question is how far in the future."

As for outgrowing Pateks, I certainly haven't stopped lusting for them.

If I can ever justify the expense, I would definitely get one of these:

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
I don't really see the RO o Nautilus as a step up over the Explorer 1.

I meant a step up in price rather than function, so I think I agree with you. And that VC is truly beautiful.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ha, then you are on the wrong thread.

sly.gif
+1
fistbump.gif

I don't really see the RO o Nautilus as a step up over the Explorer 1. As sport watches, which is what I really want, they are inferior (not as legible and likely not as sturdy). What they have is interesting, singular design, in a style that appeals to me.

This is the VC that I want. It is no longer in production but I should be able to find it if I really looked:
I continue to think it superior to every other dress watch I have seen.
As for RO and Nautilus, I think you are defining step up/over based on what you would use it for. I've owned a 114270 Ex 1 and a RO 15202 both are great watches. However, without a doubt the workmanship (fit/finish), labor involved in making (either a RO or Nautilus), overall quality, and finish of their movements are far superior to that of the Ex1. Compare an Ex1 to a RO or Nautilus and the differences are really quite obvious. Also, I've never suffered from nor heard of legibility complaints with RO or Nautilus models (unless maybe you are considering some of the complicated models rather than time only). I think it should be noted that although a RO or Nautilus are AP and PP's versions of sport watches...they are not pure sport watches...they are almost a hybrid of a sport/dress watch...falling somewhere in between.

As for sturdiness, I agree that I would not use a RO or Nautilus for any truly extreme sports. They simply are not sport watches in the way an Ex1 or Sub are. But I take really good care of my watches and probably would not wear a Rolex for something terribly extreme these days either. I used to beat the crap out of my first GMT Master and then a Daytona...and they could take it, but they looked like hell. Sure they can polish them up a bit a few times, but polishing causes them to loose their crisp beveled edges and even the best jobs are rarely the same as when it originally left the factory. I also learned that watches all beat to hell take a beating when you go to trade them in for something else. That being said, I think the Explorer 1 has a more rugged case (just 1 saphire crystal) and and bracelet. However, IMHO the fact that a RO or Nautilus are less rugged than an Explorer 1, does not make them (for lack of a better description) any less of a step above the Ex 1. Using just function as criteria one could say a Porsche 911 is not a step above a pick up truck because the Porsche won't hold much lumber. Durability is important and one should choose a watch appropriately for the activity, but it doesn't level the playing field.

The VC is a great dress watch. An acquaintance had one and it was beautiful. They made them for many years so it should not be that difficult to locate one.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads