• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with a Christopher Ward watch, jabster, and don't let anyone here tell you otherwise. You just have to decide which is better for you, matching as much of your criteria as possible, and then buy that one. Both are very fine watches.
Nothing wrong with a Christopher Ward watch or an Omega, just as there is nothing wrong with a Citizen or a Timex Ironman. They will all do the same job. However, I wouldn't spend much money on a watch from an internet based company with no actual description about servicing the watch. Yes, they will let you return it for any reason in 60 days, they also guarantee the movement for 5 years. Given that the movements are ETAs they can probably pop a new movement in there. But what about other parts that can get damaged and need replacing, such as bezels, winding crowns, and other smaller items. My friend bought his wife an Eterna about 10-12 years ago, from a well known watch store in NYC. They were only being sold in the US by a few stores, and they had little to no distribution or service here in the States. His wife badly damaged the bezel (after about 5 years of ownership). When he brought the watch in and asked about service, not only were they no longer carrying the brand, but they told him he was out of luck with a new bezel. They said there is almost no parts availability here. Parts for Eternas may have improved with them being part of the Gevril Group...but I'm not sure. I wonder what parts availability is like several years from now for a Chris Ward watch where there is no mention of actual service facilities or parts availability on their website. I'd hate to think I dropped $1,000 for a disposable watch. Even if I decided to spend less money on a watch, I'd rather buy from a company that has been around for quite a while and which I know has actual service centers to support after sales needs. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If its a current 15202, and not new old stock then it will have a blue dial.  That is the only color they are offering on this model.  Its also a different blue than what is used on the other ROs or on the previous version of the 15202.  With previous 15202s there was a choice of dials (white, blue, dark gray, and for a time salmon color). 

Ah, ok. For some reason I expected the new one to come with a choice of dial colours as well, but I never really looked into it as the blue one is the one I would get myself. The 15202 is one of the few new 're-boots' I really like, though I'm undecided on whether I'd actually prefer it to the previous version...

JonathanCWalker

Reaction score
morning
ydajabem.jpg

Evening
y3a6utat.jpg

Cheers all!
Is the Daytona White Gold?

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure it's rose gold.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah, ok. For some reason I expected the new one to come with a choice of dial colours as well, but I never really looked into it as the blue one is the one I would get myself. The 15202 is one of the few new 're-boots' I really like, though I'm undecided on whether I'd actually prefer it to the previous version...
Not a big deal. Prior to ordering the new 15202, I also thought there would be a choice of dial colors. When I visited the boutique in NYC, they informed me that at least for now its only offered with a blue dial. Even a few ADs I contacted around the time I was ordering were unaware that blue is the only dial color available. I think each version of the 15202 has some elements that are really nice, so I completely understand the difficultly in deciding which version you prefer.

Pretty sure it's rose gold.
I think the lighting is affecting the picture, but that appears to be a rose gold one based on the dial.

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hey guys, I'm really liking the look of the Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean but stumbled upon this watch by Christopher Ward, 
http://www.christopherward-usa.com/men/view-all-mens/c60-cosc-sks.html
I'm wondering if the difference in quality is worth the difference in price or if I should keep saving up for the Omega.  Any input is much appreciated.  Thanks.

About $600-1,200ish away from the Omega Seamaster. So I would save up for it. You will smile even harder when you finally pulled the trigger.

You can do it. Trust me, it will be worth the wait!

Last edited:

medtech_expat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Very nice. Blue dial?

Not a big deal.  Prior to ordering the new 15202, I also thought there would be a choice of dial colors.  When I visited the boutique in NYC, they informed me that at least for now its only offered with a blue dial.  Even a few ADs I contacted around the time I was ordering were unaware that blue is the only dial color available.  I think each version of the 15202 has some elements that are really nice, so I completely understand the difficultly in deciding which version you prefer.

Confirmed it's with the dark bluish-grey dial, which as I understand it was the original color introduced 40 years ago. I suspect they'll introduce other dial colors once the anniversary has passed, but as for myself this was the only color I wanted. FWIW, there are loads of second-hand 15202s on the market at the moment at attractive prices, but with such a faithful reproduction of the original design (twin batons at 12, AP at 6, petite tapisserie) I felt I wouldn't be happy with the version recently-discontinued. Plus, I actually find the dial-colored date window to be a significant aesthetic enhancement.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually liked the old date wheel, as I somehow feel the white one better balanced the dial out, as I think it does on the IWC Mk XV. I also preferred the previous rotor design (but would like a solid case back even more). Agree on liking the other changes you mention. Anyway, great watch and congrats :)

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Confirmed it's with the dark bluish-grey dial, which as I understand it was the original color introduced 40 years ago. I suspect they'll introduce other dial colors once the anniversary has passed, but as for myself this was the only color I wanted. FWIW, there are loads of second-hand 15202s on the market at the moment at attractive prices, but with such a faithful reproduction of the original design (twin batons at 12, AP at 6, petite tapisserie) I felt I wouldn't be happy with the version recently-discontinued. Plus, I actually find the dial-colored date window to be a significant aesthetic enhancement.

I believe the original may have been a truer grey dial, while this is definitely dark blue with some grey undertones. Under different lighting conditions the dial on this can look dark grey, or deep blue. Its a beautiful dial. Congrats again!
I actually liked the old date wheel, as I somehow feel the white one better balanced the dial out, as I think it does on the IWC Mk XV. I also preferred the previous rotor design (but would like a solid case back even more). Agree on liking the other changes you mention. Anyway, great watch and congrats
smile.gif
A white date wheel was also used on the original. However, I prefer the dark date wheel, its more subtle and less of a distraction on the dial. The previous rotor is certainly more artistic, and I initially liked it more. However, I am used to the rotor on the new one, and in some ways I find it being less ornate more appropriate for the design of the watch (although the original models had a solid case backs). I also find the petite tapisserie (as used on the original and the current model) far more attractive than the previous dial. Whichever version someone chooses, its a great watch.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nothing wrong with a Christopher Ward watch or an Omega, just as there is nothing wrong with a Citizen or a Timex Ironman.  They will all do the same job.  However, I wouldn't spend much money on a watch from an internet based company with no actual description about servicing the watch.  Yes, they will let you return it for any reason in 60 days, they also guarantee the movement for 5 years.  Given that the movements are ETAs they can probably pop a new movement in there.  But what about other parts that can get damaged and need replacing, such as bezels, winding crowns, and other smaller items.  My friend bought his wife an Eterna about 10-12 years ago, from a well known watch store in NYC.  They were only being sold in the US by a few stores, and they had little to no distribution or service here in the States.  His wife badly damaged the bezel (after about 5 years of ownership).  When he brought the watch in and asked about service, not only were they no longer carrying the brand, but they told him he was out of luck with a new bezel.  They said there is almost no parts availability here.  Parts for Eternas may have improved with them being part of the Gevril Group...but I'm not sure.  I wonder what parts availability is like several years from now for a Chris Ward watch where there is no mention of actual service facilities or parts availability on their website.  I'd hate to think I dropped $1,000 for a disposable watch.  Even if I decided to spend less money on a watch, I'd rather buy from a company that has been around for quite a while and which I know has actual service centers to support after sales needs.  Just my 2 cents.

They will service your watch (details on the website) or take it to any good watch place and they will do it for you as well. CW have been around for years now and are doing very well. They're not going anywhere and their watches are excellent. I'm not saying they're as good as Omega or any other high-end Swiss brand, but they're very good and people shouldn't hesitate if that is the particular brand they're after.

jabster410

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses guys. I think I'm going to keep saving and see what I can afford around the holidays, might be a Christmas present to myself.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They will service your watch (details on the website) or take it to any good watch place and they will do it for you as well. CW have been around for years now and are doing very well. They're not going anywhere and their watches are excellent. I'm not saying they're as good as Omega or any other high-end Swiss brand, but they're very good and people shouldn't hesitate if that is the particular brand they're after.

They have only been around since 2005. Thats not much of a track record to know how long they maintain an inventory on parts or what their policy is on that. Eterna has been around for decades and parts have not always been easy to obtain for their watches. Yes, since the CW uses an ETA movement, almost anyone can work on it. However, if you damage a bezel which is specific to their watch, whether or not you will be able to obtain one in 10 years is anyone's guess. Companies like Rolex (and probably Omega, IWC, Breitling etc.) guarantee a stock of parts for their watches for at least 20 years after production ends.

The original poster asked in reference to the CW "I'm wondering if the difference in quality is worth the difference in price or if I should keep saving up for the Omega." IMHO, you get what you pay for. There is a reason the CW is less expensive than an Omega. Whether or not someone wants to spend the extra money for an Omega is something only they can decide.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I agree completely about the AP Royal Oak.  I've never really been interested in the Offshore models, I've always favored the original design.  I've looked at them for years, and roughly 2 months ago I just picked up a new AP Royal Oak 15202 (based on the original design).  Its a really fantastic watch.  I hope one day you will be enjoying one on your own wrist.

i happened to see a few in person over the last few weeks. i am feeling a desire to own one.

awesome. can we see it in regular exposure?

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i happened to see a few in person over the last few weeks. i am feeling a desire to own one.
Thats a dangerous feeling $$$$, but what a great watch. A true pioneer in design that paved the way for watches such as the Nautilus, the Ingenieur, the Rolex OQ 17000/1530, and the VC222 and its decendants, the Overseas.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads