• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hayward

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well I was under the impression that a more understated aesthetic was the norm here until all the louche boat anchors came out. I guess you all think I'm a prude but I have values. I've had to uphold those values at singular cost. To this day I remember the most painful day of my life, when my overly impressionable son came home with a Jumbo Aquanaut on his wrist. I disowned him on the spot. I've heard he sells the back of his wrist on Berwick Street now. Out of Sight, Out of Mind.

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Well I was under the impression that a more understated aesthetic was the norm here until all the louche boat anchors came out. I guess you all think I'm a prude but I have values. I've had to uphold those values at singular cost. To this day I remember the most painful day of my life, when my overly impressionable son came home with a Jumbo Aquanaut on his wrist. I disowned him on the spot. I've heard he sells the back of his wrist on Berwick Street now. Out of Sight, Out of Mind.

Hahaha! Quite right too!

Thankfully I'm not rich enough to be a watch-pimp, but I have to admit they're beautiful things. In the "understated" spirit mentioned above, I would like to share this. Not "P0rn" perhaps; more "what the butler saw" from a more innocent age!

I got my father's old Omega serviced and repaired (although didn't replace the damaged face). Probably cost more than the watch is worth, but it's got history. Now with a new simple grain leather strap instead of the steel bracelet; looks more "vintage" somehow. It's scruffy with the dings on the face, but with a new crown, glass, and original hands back on, and keeping time well again, I am very pleased with it. We're about the same age and condition, so we suit each other!

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hahaha! Quite right too! Thankfully I'm not rich enough to be a watch-pimp, but I have to admit they're beautiful things. In the "understated" spirit mentioned above, I would like to share this. Not "P0rn" perhaps; more "what the butler saw" from a more innocent age! I got my father's old Omega serviced and repaired (although didn't replace the damaged face). Probably cost more than the watch is worth, but it's got history. Now with a new simple grain leather strap instead of the steel bracelet; looks more "vintage" somehow. It's scruffy with the dings on the face, but with a new crown, glass, and original hands back on, and keeping time well again, I am very pleased with it. We're about the same age and condition, so we suit each other!
That's a man's watch. My father had a Grand Seiko Hi Beat from the late 60s or early 70s. I'm not even sure they sold them in Australia and I think my grandmother brought it back from Singapore or Japan. In 1974 there was a massive flood in my hometown and someone who was working to repair my parents house stole it! ******.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
That's a man's watch.
My father had a Grand Seiko Hi Beat from the late 60s or early 70s. I'm not even sure they sold them in Australia and I think my grandmother brought it back from Singapore or Japan. In 1974 there was a massive flood in my hometown and someone who was working to repair my parents house stole it! ******.
Thanks man. That's kind of the way I see it. This one would be a couple of years older than me; I'm guessing about '68-'69 (it was bought in '70).

"******" indeed - hope he got his just desserts in jail some day!

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I really like the reverso, which model should I get?

Hayward

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If only my son had friends like you instead of the indolent crowd he came to hang out with.

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hahaha! Quite right too! Thankfully I'm not rich enough to be a watch-pimp, but I have to admit they're beautiful things. In the "understated" spirit mentioned above, I would like to share this. Not "P0rn" perhaps; more "what the butler saw" from a more innocent age! I got my father's old Omega serviced and repaired (although didn't replace the damaged face). Probably cost more than the watch is worth, but it's got history. Now with a new simple grain leather strap instead of the steel bracelet; looks more "vintage" somehow. It's scruffy with the dings on the face, but with a new crown, glass, and original hands back on, and keeping time well again, I am very pleased with it. We're about the same age and condition, so we suit each other!
This is a lovely thing. For all the right reasons. I have only one of my father's better watches. An 18k gold Longines, from about 1965. I was once mugged while wearing it. Only had to 'give up' my wallet - but now only wear the watch on the rarest of occasions. Funny thing is, the same muggers, held up another guy about 15 minutes after me and they took his Swatch. Unfortunately for him they beat him badly. It took nearly a year of going back and forth to court. But of the 5 guys involved 4 actually did time.

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If only my son had friends like you instead of the indolent crowd he came to hang out with.

I was always "the kid" that my mother didn't want me to hang out with, she just wasn't aware that it was me. My dad always sussed my **** though.

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is a lovely thing. For all the right reasons.
I have only one of my father's better watches. An 18k gold Longines, from about 1965.
I was once mugged while wearing it. Only had to 'give up' my wallet - but now only wear the watch on the rarest of occasions. Funny thing is, the same muggers, held up another guy about 15 minutes after me and they took his Swatch. Unfortunately for him they beat him badly. It took nearly a year of going back and forth to court. But of the 5 guys involved 4 actually did time.

Good, hope they did hard time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads